Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:35:45 -0700
From: Mark Srebnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Install Linux on 110CT w/FD/CD - UPDATE I

Arggghhhh.....guess I wrote too soon....

A) Mandrake Saga:

Defragged my hard as requested by Mandrake installer. Then tried installing
again with 'pcmcia' boot disk as noted below in previous post.

This time problems....when asked to select where to install from HD, CD,
etc....I selected CD drive but now nothing happens...CD drive doesn't
respond...;-(

I got a message: 'gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file' in the installer
window.

Also saw message:

Warning: mounting partition /dev/hda5 in directory /tmp/inspect_tmp_dir
failed (invalid argument)

Saw same message for hda7 as well....

Tried a few times, even remade boot disk...but no go...

Very strange as to why things aren't working now after it seems I was so
close to getting Mandrake installed???

B) VectorLinux 4.3 Saga:

Meanwhile, downloaded VectorLinux4.3 that ol' Philip installed...printed out
install instructions, extracted files as instructed to hard drive....

Since I have WinXP Pro on my 110CT, I'm booting to DOS with a Win98 boot
floppy....

After I typed the install command:

Loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img

Setup started, saw lots of text....at the end saw error message:

Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on ram0

Any ideas about how to deal with this??

Thanks for everyone's continuing assistance.

I hope this will be useful to others who might try to install Linux and save
them the hours of aggravation I'm going through!

Mark
Frustrated Silicone Valley Libretterati Linux Installer