Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:41:42 +0200
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Install Linux on 110CT w/FD/CD - UPDATE I

Mark Srebnik wrote:
...<snip>
> Are you referring to the item on page 2 of the BIOS Setup named 'Device
> Config.' ?

Yes

> It's the only item I see that has an option called 'Setup by OS'.
>
> However, I don't see option to disable. Only other choice says 'All
> Devices'....in other words, I see the following choices:
>
> Device Config. = Setup by OS
>
> Or
>
> Device Config. = All Devices

That's the setting I use. It means the BIOS should initialize integrated
peripheral hardware rather than the OS (iow no "Plug and Pray"). No big
deal btw, as the only integrated peripheral HW to be set up this way
comprises the OPL3 soundcard and the serial and parallel ports.

>From another perspective, as your Libby is apparently not at fault, is
your CD-ROM player OK?

If your Linux setup remains problematic, just transplant your HD to
another desktop and install Linux there. Do not reboot yet. Install
XFree86, specify Neomagic NM 2160 and some default resolution, but do
not boot into graphics mode yet.
Let Linux reboot for the first time with the HD back in the Libretto.
>From then on you can setup Linux further using Harddrake (Mandrake) or
vasm (VL).

P.