Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:35:09 -0700
From: Mark Srebnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Install Linux on 110CT w/FD/CD - UPDATE I

on 10/17/04 1:47 PM, Philip Nienhuis at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:48:11 +0200
> From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Install Linux on 110CT w/FD/CD - UPDATE I
>
> Mark Srebnik wrote:
> :
> ...<snip>
>> Meanwhile, downloaded VectorLinux4.3 that ol' Philip installed...printed out
>> install instructions, extracted files as instructed to hard drive....
>>
>> Since I have WinXP Pro on my 110CT, I'm booting to DOS with a Win98 boot
>> floppy....
>
> I presume you got XP on a FAT32 partition?

Yes.

>> After I typed the install command:
>>
>> Loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
>>
>> Setup started, saw lots of text....at the end saw error message:
>>
>> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on ram0
>>
>> Any ideas about how to deal with this??
>
> Puzzling....
>
> 1. The error message simply means that the kernel could not find the
> file system on ramdisk (I guess VFS means virtual file system.)
> Is initrd.img in the same subdir as ide (I guess so otherwise loadlin
> would have complained)?

Yes.

> Is initrd.img from the same VL43 version as ide?

Yes.

> BTW you typed the same command line as in:
> http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3434     (in a
> posting by robomop)
> and I used it too - worked for me.

I got it from the VL4.3 Install Instructions I printed out...

> 2. I am beginning to suspect other (hardware?) problems (e.g., memory
> module seated OK?).

Checked memory module recently....in Windows it says I have 64MB....

> - Have you got the latest BIOS (v 8.1)?

Yes.

> Another issue might be your BIOS setup. I have:
> - Setup by OS = disabled

Are you referring to the item on page 2 of the BIOS Setup named 'Device
Config.' ?

It's the only item I see that has an option called 'Setup by OS'.

However, I don't see option to disable. Only other choice says 'All
Devices'....in other words, I see the following choices:

Device Config. = Setup by OS

Or

Device Config. = All Devices

> - PCMCIA-slots = Auto

My BIOS says 'PC Card = Auto-Selected'...I assume this is the same thing...

> I can't think up any other suggestions at the moment...... sorry,
>
> Philip

Please no sorry, your help is great....

Thanks to everyone trying to help....helps keep me motivated to get this
solved and Linux on my Lib.... ;-)

Mark