Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Win98/70CT audio playback: A lost cause?

--- "barnacle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But yeah...  the clicks that develop on my 50 & 70
> > are fairly significant.

> Hang on one minute... you get these clicks on both >
the built in Yamaha sound chip playing through the
> jack and with a pcmcia sound card? that kinda
> removes hot audio components as the problem...

Yeah... I'm pretty sure, though sometimes I hook up
the system either way without really thinking about
it.  I'll have to re-check though, as I haven't always
been in that 'full test mode' while noticing these
clicks until the past couple of days.

But why >wouldn't< the system transmit audio dropouts
through the PCMCIA audio card if, as you described
earlier, the CPU itself might be causing data dropouts
due to heat?:

-------------------------
3) breaks in the data stream to the d-c converters,
caused by:
  - the cpu does not allocate sufficient time to
update buffers
  - the cpu cannot decode the data in the time
available
  - the disc drive cannot deliver the data in time
  - the disc takes time out to recalibrate its
hardware, and has insufficient space on its buffer ram
to cover the glitch

   <clip>

As the problem increases with time - and presumably
heat - I'd be inclined to suspect something from (3),
if it's showing as noticeable pauses.

I thought the absence of clicks in the day couple of
days was due to the fact its pretty cool in here with
the fall weather.  But I'll let it run with just the
Yamaha output and report back.

Matt