> I have personally, on occasion, considered filing a Freedom of Information
> Act request for useful government code to see if that works to pry free
> software from government hands. I never did that. The U.S. government has
> almost always proven to be very generous without demands.

Please do, this issue needs to be pressed!  Doesn’t hurt to file a FOIA.

As far as I know, the answer as to whether software is considered an “agency
record” subject to FOIA requests depends on the nature of the specific software
and (unfortunately) the agency involved.  Last survey, approximately 50% of
agencies felt software did not constitute a record, that most software is
merely a tool for generating or processing records.  Some agencies have and do
deliver despite holding a position that they are not required to do so.  Others
feel that even as records, they fall under FOIA exemption clause 5 U.S.C. §
552(c)(2) — namely that software solely pertains to the internal practices of
an agency.

DoD is split.  Air Force holds that most software is a record (save for
classified, T&E, covered-by-statute, or otherwise clearly exempt codes — DoD
Reg 5400.7).  Navy vaguely concurs (SECNAV 5720.42F).  Army disagrees saying
they do not consider most software to be a record (AR 25-55).

Much longer discussion:
https://www.justice.gov/oip/blog/foia-update-department-justice-report-electronic-record-foia-issues-part-ii

Also relevant:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/oip/legacy/2014/07/23/procedural-requirements_0.pdf

Several cases have gone to court making determinations swinging both ways
(e.g., Gilmore v DOE: software not a record; Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton
v DHHS: software is a record).  As such, “it depends."

Cheers!
Sean