Yeah, I've thought about this before in the context of a sort of
infinite undo function. As you make changes in your form, they are saved
to the database. Then you can, when you navigate away, choose whether to
save them as temp edits, publish them, or delete them. If you save them
as temporary edits, you can come back and pick up where you left off,
with the undo stack intact. Then you can back up through the history.

I've thought for a long time that as many things as possible should be
versioned (like operating systems) so that there is always an infinite
undo/redo. Since I'm building websites that are really small Content
Management Systems, this really appeals to me.

For example, if you were editing page text, it would be nice to be able
to start by creating a working copy of the current page. Then you could
make a series of undo-able edits to the page, stopping and returning to
it whenever you wanted to. Finally, you could either publish the
finished page (i.e. make it public as a new page or replacing a current
page), or delete it.

What you're talking about seems like a good basis for something like that.

Chas.