dak wrote
> I think it quite unusual to have a figure without a note.

Quite to the contrary: Both for voice-leading indications (e.g. quick
resolution of suspensions) and point d'orgue situations, it's very common to
have multiple figures to the same note. For example, see the last two bars
of the Introitus to Mozart's Requiem.

There might even be cases where there a figure is the first thing happening
in a bass line:

<<
  { r8 c16 d e8 e }
  \figures { <2 4 7>4 <6> }

I don't know a "real" example of this kind off the top of my head, but it
would definitely be a meaningful continuo setting.

- Lukas