On Thu 05 Oct 2023 at 14:49:41 (+0100), Ian West wrote:
> Dear Lilypond team, continuing from 1 Sept 17:43hrs. (similar problems to
> Mark Stephen Mrotek though he is Windows.)
>
>       I successfully used version 2.20.0 on my MacBook Air M2 2022, macOS
> 13.4.1 from August 2022 till July 2023. Now I cannot, and I have failed (for
> a month) to overcome the problem. I presumed it hit a bug, or developed a
> mutation. I deleated it and tried to re-extracte the zip.
>
>       I want to use my current MacBook Air M2 2022, macOS 13.4.1. I picked up
> the idea somewhere that the 64-bit M2 processor requires a certain version of
> lilypond, but I find that hard to confirm on the web. ? Is it true?
>
>       I have been using various versions of lilipond for 13 years (versions:
> 2.12.3, 2.18.2-1, 2.20.0, and now 2.24.1).
> I do not want to use Frescobaldi.  When I unzip 2.24.1 I find it does not
> contain a simple exe file with lilypond icon. It looks as though the package
> is designed to work with Frescobaldi and not on its own. Is that true. I do
> not want to use Frescobaldi. Are there instructions for using 2.24 WITHOUT
> Frescobaldi.
>
> I re-extracting the lilypond-2.20.0-darwin-64.tar that I downloaded last
> year. That gave an error signal.
> I downloaded lilypond-2.20.0-1.darwin-x86.tar.bz2, from Index of
> /download/binaries/darwin-x86
> <http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/darwin-x86/?C=N;O=D> to see if that
> worked as my previous build 20200311175017. It did not. Perhaps because it is
> for Windows, while I am macOS. There was a 'Stop' sign (white anulus and bar)
> over the icon and does not work. Should this be explained?
>
> Last year I downloaded MacPorts-2.7.2-12-Moneteray.pkg, but I have no idea
> why, nor what it does, nor if I used it.

I pretended I was a Mac user wanting to use just LP. I clicked through:

  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/web/manuals.html
  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/learning/installing
  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/learning/command-line-setup

and picked MacPorts as you'd mentioned it.

  https://www.macports.org/

"thousands of ports":

  https://ports.macports.org/

typed lilypond in the box:

  https://ports.macports.org/port/lilypond

It says:
 "To install lilypond, paste this in macOS terminal after installing MacPorts
  sudo port install lilypond"
where MacPorts is a link to:

  https://www.macports.org/install.php

which presumably isn't going to work for Linux.
That page has a "More instructions" button, and a Details link to:

  https://ports.macports.org/port/lilypond/details/

This last page shows a list of OSes including two Ventura items,
arm64 and x86_64, and that's the OS you say you're running (unlike
Monterey, which comes next in the list).

Is this the way you should be going? If so, you might want to
detail what you click, press, etc, the address of any files you
download, how you unpacked them, where you put them, and when you
run them:

  the directory you're in,
  the directory the program is in,
  the directory the .ly file is in,
  you $PATH at the time,
  a pasted copy of the command and its output from the terminal.

Cheers,
David.