On 2013-12-16 Cman <cman.linc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking about using SDL 2.0 for lincity-ng. That will require
> a rewrite of the graphics part.

Is SDL2 already available in major distributions?

> I should know the code of lincity-ng well enough, to succeed with that.
> I would like to know:
>
> 1 If anyone ever tried that and found an unsolvable problem with SDL
> 2.0 and lincity-ng

> 2 If we should exclusively do the implementation for OpenGL? It is a
> good standard.

Drop SDL renderer and use OpenGL only? Would work for me but there
are still people who don't have decent OpenGL support in hardware.
So if it is not too much effort I'd keep the existing renderers.

> 3 If we should make a SDL2.0 branch on the repository? SDL is not
> backward compatible.

Can we add it as PainterSDL2 and keep the old one around? Oh wait,
audio is done by SDL as well.

I'd like to do a beta release really soon now so all the new stuff
can be tested by a bigger audience. So a branch would probably
best. No idea if my tool chain still works for Windows. I'll try
this weekend.

Tschüß,
Wolfgang
--