> the OS doesn't need to know about the multiple paths

For high availability, yes.  But for performance, I was *under the
impression* that Linux needs to be fooled into using the multiple
paths (haven't been able to confirm this with end-to-end performance
tests). This is done by LVM or raid-tools striping (RAID 0). *As I
understand it* the "fooling" works as follows - when a striped
volume is detected, the Linux kernel will continue with data
transfers before the previous one finishes.  Then the multiple
I/O paths to the DASD will be utilized.  Actually the first time
I tried a performance test, I saw a small performance gain, but it
was negligible enough to be noise.

The recently I noticed in make menuconfig the setting:
 Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)  --->
  <M>   Multipath I/O support

which is not always on.  So I'm hopeful for some serious performance
gains using RAID 0 and a kernel with this setting on. Any comments
from performance guys with a better background on this?

          -Mike MacIsaac,  IBM   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061