Michael MacIsaac wrote:
> "This is done by LVM or raid-tools striping (RAID 0)"

For a single file read or write, LVM or software striping is indeed needed
to get any advantage of pathing. However, in a large environment, with many
files open, there is actually a lot of concurrency over the channels, even
without LVM or striping. The currency is most noticed when doing I/O for
several large, non-memory resident, files at the same time.

LVM (2.4.7) has several advantages:
1) very much larger volume sizes
2) easier adminstration of volumes
3) Concurrent I/O over multiple channels for a single file (assuming you've
striped the logical volume)
4) Same choice of file systems

In fact, I am getting good performance results with LVM with striped
logical volumes using JFS and I get lot fewer broken volumes.

Regards, Jim
Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs
t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*** Grace Happens ***