All of this is handled in hardware by the s/390 IO subsystem.  The OS
doesn't get involved at all.  And if you're using array dasd such as SHARK
or ICEBERG, you get RAID(5) automatically.  In fact, LVM striping actually
decreases performance with no additional benefit on these devices.

"You do not need a parachute to skydive.  You only need a parachute to
skydive twice."  -Motto of the Darwin Society
Gordon W. Wolfe, Ph.D.  (425) 865-5940
VM Technical Services, The Boeing Company