On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:19:12 -0500, Adam Thornton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:36:21AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> Replace your faulty hardware. It's cheap.
>> Or spend a bit more, and get a case without those cooling problems.
>
>Yes, of course it's cheap.  'S'why I bought it.  And I'll buy a new
>machine eventually, at a similarly low price point, because I'm cheap.
>
>Point is, *most* PC hardware is cheap.  Because it, you know, costs less
>that way.
>
>Adam

I puzzled about all this for a long time. One example was a 4341
versus a Vax/780. The performance sheets I looked at said they were
about equal in performance. But the 4341 was much more capable in real
work situations, given equal workload.

Eventually I noticed that the 4341 could do about 10 times the I/O
(megabytes per second) compared to the Vax machine. Vax was limited to
about 100K bytes per second and 4341 was 1meg bytes per second.

So I propose that when analysing different architectures we go beyond
simple CPU benchmarks and also calculated the 1) memory bandwidth and
2) I/O bandwidth. So that hot PC might be great for CPU but might be
left in the dust in memory bandwidth and I/O bandwidth.

That type of analysis would explain why a 168 was so capable even
though the CPU benchmark (compared to a 2Ghz Intel) would predict
otherwise. Programming efficiency probably has a measurable effect
too... C++ versus hand crafted assembler can easily add a 5-10 times
efficiency differential in my experience.

Hey - IBM - I figured out that when I was working for IBM Research in
Yorktown in 1983-88 - so if someone wants to grab the idea and use it
in marketting... it's yours. I imagine a bit heavy tank with 2000
horsepower duking it out with a compact... half plastic... auto.

<grin>

john