On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:49:38 +0800, John Summerfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 01:00, John Alvord wrote:
>> > And Lord protect you if the packaging accidently contained materials
>> > which generated gamma rays. Another tale of woe from the IBM 1980s
>>
>> Gamma seems odd, it doesn't interact much most times, now alpha emitters
>> I could believe. Was it alpha or gamma emitters they got in their materials ?
>>

>I recall back when we were getting round to 256K chips that cosmic rays were
>becoming a problem and that chips weren't going to be made much denser.
>
>What happened?

The cosmic ray scientist I talked with at Research in the middle 1980s
said they spotted a pattern on No Trouble Found on channel Cache
memory. The frequency was doubled in Denver - which has twice the
number of cosmic ray bursts compared to sea level. Eventually IBM set
up a several month long trial in a high altitude ghost town. The 308X
was set up with some PC controllers which monitored for these
transient conditions. At the same time, they arranged to get records
of cosmic ray bursts at a (New Mexico?) radio observatory. The
occurance of transient channel cache memory matched the radio
observatory bursts quite closely.

He never told me how the problem was cured. Maybe some more shielding?
I seem to remember some customers who were advised to move their
mainframe to lower in a tall building... the concrete was an effective
barrier to the cosmic rays.

john alvord