Alan Altmark wrote :

> Perhaps the UTS drivers are better behaved?  File open-to-close doesn't
> sound like a very useful paradigm (but I don't know how Linux applications
> use tape drives) and I don't know if one part of Linux can open a tape
> file (tape management system, just to lock the drive and to request a tape
> mount) and another part of Linux subsequently
> opening-writing/reading-closing the same tape so that the drive is not
> unassigned until the tape management system closes the tape file.

Minimally the UTSG Tape Management System will lock the drive(s) and
manage tape mount requests, once tapes are mounted the UTSG driver
makes the mounted tape accessible to user/app via a logical device
named after the tape volume name.

    eg: /dev/tape/AB0020

The UTSG Distributed Tape Subsystem extends this paradigm to systems
remote from the Linux/390 tape server(s).

Paul.