Hi, Jim

Since Paul's on South African time and I'm here in California, I had a go.

The UTS Global Tape Subsystem includes the command tapevary(8), used
mainly to vary online a tape drive to the system.  So, "tapevary on
3028" varies drive 3028 online.  It causes the UTSG tape driver to
perform an attach, and "tapevary off 3028" performs an unattach.  If I
have  3028 varied online to one VM Linux and try to vary it online at
another, the "Drive Assigned Elsewhere" message appears.

So consider it verified, at least under VM.  We had a power outrage, um,
outage, today and besides I see no recognition in our driver's code that
it's running under VM or LPAR, so I judge that "tapevary on 3028" will
issue an attach command regardless.

Hope this is the verification you wanted.

Richard Hitt [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Sibley wrote:

Paul, have you physically verified that UTSG actually works this way on
s/390 in both LPAR or under VM? Does it apply to ECKD shared tapes, not
dedicated tapes? It the "lock" a UTSG lock or is it a hardware
assign/unassign. Without the hardware assign/unassign, it is not really
locked from other hosts in the s/390 environment.

Minimally the UTSG Tape Management System will lock the drive(s) and
manage tape mount requests, once tapes are mounted the UTSG driver
makes the mounted tape accessible to user/app via a logical device
named after the tape volume name.

Regards, Jim Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, [EMAIL PROTECTED] *** Grace Happens ***