From: Post, Mark K [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 11:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Samba admin vs. Windows admin

Lionel,

If you ignore the system reliability question (which to me is the _big_
question), I would have to say that administering a file server is going to
depend mostly on how dynamic the environment is.  I just had a conversation
the other day with someone who told me that the biggest amount of time spent
administering a Windows file server was updating permissions.  Who gets
access to what today.  Who gets access to that tomorrow is different, and oh
by the way, so-and-so left the group, so take them out, ad nauseum.  I don't
know if there are any good comparisons of the tools available to do that on
Windows versus Linux.

I would also say that the amount of time just diddling with the server to
keep it running is quite a bit higher on Windows, what with all the
"preventive" reboots, forcing on IIS and IE patches (if you can), etc., etc.

Somewhat on topic...

I remember going to a Microsoft seminar on Windows 2000, when the MS
employees were still struggling to not call it NT 5.0.  (The platform was
still in beta testing at the time.)  The main speaker was talking about how
they'd gone around to all the development groups and made them explain why
installing their product required that the system be rebooted, and to get
them to change how they did things to avoid that.  He stated that they'd
gotten the number of reasons a system had to be rebooted down to about four
or so, and they were working on those as well.  Right.  Just yesterday (four
years later?), I installed Visio Professional on my Windows 2000
Professional desktop (we're all very professional here, you know).  It made
me reboot to "finish the install."  For a stinking application.  I have to
say, though, that I need to come up with a different answer for my wife when
she asks "why is my computer doing such and such."  Lately, when I say
"because it's Microsoft," she's been threatening to hit me (as opposed to
the people that would deserve it.  She can reach me).