On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Marist EDU wrote:

> For better or worse, here are my thoughts on your question:
>
> I would say a competant administrator of either OS/Software could make them
> run efficiently, plus it depends on what you are using them for.  There are
> 4 things that come to my mind in reference to pure File Servers.  Stability,
> File Access, Permissions and Price.
>
> In the following when I reference Linux I mean the Linux/Samba combo.
>
> WRT Stability:
> The M$ OS can't handle long periods of uptime without eventually puking on
> itself.  The Linux OS is of course much more stable and requires less
> reboots (if any).  So in this case Linux appears to have the advantage,
> however a competant M$ admin would/should schedule atleast a bi-weekly
> reboot of the server in off-hours.

For better, for worse, Windows 2003 us currently unproven. I have
Windows Sever 2003 Enterprise Edition sitting on my desk waiting for me
to find A 500 Mhz CPU and 256 Mbytes of RAM with which to try it.

It sounds like a lot of computer to me, but then I don't know what
workload the package is supposed to be able to handle.

> WRT Price:
> Duh, (haha) Do more with less machine Linux is the obvious winner here.

Price is a little simplistic. There's more to cost than price: not that
I think the extra factors favour Windows, but this package I have in
front of me may contain surprises.

> So I guess what I'm saying is it depends on how often you need to change
> your file ACL's and how complex they are to begin with and how good your
> system admin is.  In a simple environment the manpower is comperable (IMHO).
> I know I might get some flack about all the security patches required on M$,
> but there are tools out there for installing them automatically and during
> off-hours (again something a compentant administrator should be aware of).

Would you want to apply patches automatically? Maybe you mean something
different from what I think you do, but I don't want patches applied at
odd times on any computer I manage. I much prefer the idea of testing
it, evaluating it, maybe applying it, and most importantly, knowing that
it's applied so I know what to blame when things break.

--

Cheers
John.