On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:52:22PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 04:38:51PM -0500, Richard Troth wrote:
> > > FYI,  for those who care about such things,
> > > this list is being tracked by  http://www.mail-archive.com/.
> > > Sorry for the duplicate info if this was mentioned before.
> > >
> > > Why should you care?
> > > Such tracking is easy fodder for e-mail address harvesters.   BAD
> > > Tracking services make web search of the list easy.   GOOD
> > > Personally,  I have other ways of checking the archives,
> > > so I prefer to NOT have the list tracked nor peered to NetNews.
> > > But I must confess that I have used such services.
> >
> > mail-archives obfuscate emails the Right-Way: you need to actually post
> > a form to get an email. To harvest many emails you need to ring some
> > alarm bells.
> >
> I don't think it would be hard to get the email addresses, and I doubt
> whether it would ring any alarm bells.
>
> Even posting a form from a shell script isn't difficult: I used to use
> one the check Telstra's website so see whether ADSL was available in
> areas of interest.

Yes, but then you're logged at least once in their server per email. If
you want to harvest-emails-fast you'll create tons of entries in their
logs.

Whereas in the case of our local listserv, the harvesters are given the
emails in a very convinent format, which requires about only one log hit per
month per list.

Try http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-390 and follow the links
from there. BTW: this whole server is not indexed by (legitimate) web
crawlers (see http://www2.marist.edu/robots.txt). Thus you won't find
your email from there in google. But you won't find your answer from
there in google as well, which is very bad.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+