At 01:00 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
On Tuesday, 07/08/2008 at 12:47 EDT, Brian France <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> THANX! I know but you do with what you have. Backups go thru a
> hipersocket from MFL/z/VM to z/OS.

You do with what you have as long as you have a Get Out Of Jail Free card
in your pocket.  That is, a management-approved exemption from any
security requirement that you cannot fulfill w/o an ESM.

> Yes, Sorry should have been more specific. It's the WWPN issue. I
> want to be able to ipl our prod vm and mfl on another frame and have
> it pick up the dasd. I was wondering what would happen if I just
> encoded the FCP access on a similar chpd/dev or maybe the same chpd
> but different devices since we mirror the frames. Comments? Ideas?

The chpid isn't important, per se, except that it dictates the WWPN.  (And
with NPIV, each *subchannel* on the chpid gets its own WWPN.)  You need to
know, in advance, the WWPN that the hosts will use and authorize them in
the SAN fabric.

  Thanx Alan. Looks like I need to do some reading on NPIV. By the
way, I'm pretty sure, thos you have me second guessing, that if you
have several chpds on a frame, they all have the same WWPN which
comes from the machine.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan