On Monday, 07/07/2008 at 04:08 EDT, Michael
MacIsaac/Poughkeepsie/[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Define "systems management" :)
>
> Yes, that is what I hope to do in an hour at SHARE :))
>
> I tried to leave the "form" open-ended. But let's say systems management
=
> monitoring, provisioning and patching, while performance management is
> perhaps a separate science unto itself.

In preparing some z/VM course material, I found myself having to define
"z/VM system management".  It turns out that you have:
- Provisioning (real and virtual)
- Human operations (IPL, shutdown, health inquiry, dump processing, ...)
- Automated operations
- Security (authentication, authorization, audit)
- Performance monitoring and management
- Backup/Archive
- Disaster planning and recovery
- Availability management (probably tied with disaster planning)
- Problem determination and Service (patching)
- Software and configuration change control

Some require more in-depth knowledge than others, but all are required to
have an industrial-grade system.  If you ignore one or more areas, then
you will waste time or money (usually both).

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott