At 12:10 PM 7/8/2008, Alan Altmark wrote:
On Tuesday, 07/08/2008 at 11:30 EDT, Brian France <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > - Security (authentication, authorization, audit)
>
> Directory only.

(sigh)  This means you cannot audit the activites of a virtual machine and
your passwords are stored in cleartext.  Your backups contain the same
cleartext data unless you are using encrypting tape drives.

  THANX! I know but you do with what you have. Backups go thru a
hipersocket from MFL/z/VM to z/OS.

> ANYBODY have any ideas on how to share FCP dasd between two physical
> systems? We have one frame for test z/VM and MFL and one frame for
> prod z/VM and MFL. Our current thought would be to take down our test
> z/VM and MFL's and boot our prod z/VM and MFL's if needed. BUT, we
> loose our FCP dasd. This is an 8300 with SVC.

You can share FCP dasd as long as the zoning and the controllers allow the
contact.  Remember that when you swap machines, the WWPN on the m/f will
be different.  Maybe you have a WWPN authorization or more general zoning
issue?

 Yes, Sorry should have been more specific. It's the WWPN issue. I
want to be able to ipl our prod vm and mfl on another frame and have
it pick up the dasd. I was wondering what would happen if I just
encoded the FCP access on a similar chpd/dev or maybe the same chpd
but different devices since we mirror the frames. Comments? Ideas?

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan