From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Scott Rohling
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 2:13 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Gigabit interface on Linux?

They're just trying to confirm what they have.. and using the Linux
tools
they normally use to do so.  I've since explained that a virtual NIC
isn't
going to show them the physical characteristics of the 'real' NIC and
have
explained that we've verified the OSA is set to gigabit speed.

I guess you could equate it to the 'checkbox eval' -- someone from the
app
team got on and showed them what mii-tools what indicating and so they
naturally started to ask questions or wonder if they needed to set
something
from the Linux side...   Now that I've gotten all the good input, I'm
better
able to explain what they are seeing and why...

Thanks again for all the great responses!

Scott Rohling

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Thanks, Bruce -- we did that and confirmed it's set to gigabit..
but
> > there
> > seems to be concern from the Linux folks as mii-tools is reporting
> 100mbs
> > and ethtool is not reporting anything...
>
> I'd actually argue that ethtool is right -- there really isn't any
valid
> number TO report. Reporting the actual physical interface speed would
be
> wrong in that the memory speed interface isn't actually limited to
that
> speed, and reporting the actual memory interface speed is wrong in
that
> it's a theoretical number that you won't ever actually get.
>
> I guess my question is: why do they care? Does the application behave
> differently with different interface speeds, or is this one of those
> checkbox evals where "must have gigE support" is on there?

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or
> visit

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or
proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable
law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC)
traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each
sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived,
supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This
message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you
consent to the foregoing.