> I suspect the solution is not going to be on the LISTSERV side, but on each
> poster's client.

Yeah, that's what I finally concluded as well.

Apparently, Microsoft has removed the option to set the message format sent on
a per-contact basis in Outlook 2016, so the solution that used to work (create
a contact, set mail format for that contact to text) now no longer does. I was
hoping there would be one of those obscure parameters to SET <listname> DIGEST
that would prefer the plain text alternative, but I guess the digest code was
written long enough ago that mail clients have just passed it by.

> Oh how I miss MAILBOOK. I had some great REXX macros for handling MIME.

Well, it's still available... 8-).