On 08/16/2017 12:04 PM, Donald Russell wrote:
> Our security model does not allow sudo. Instead we use something called
> pmrun which requires authentication across a network. (Don't get me started
> on the pitfalls of that)

PBRUN at least fits the model of "don't sign on as root - sign on as
yourself and then do root as appropriate". So at 30000ft they provide
the same service, which I recommend.

Objectively, PBRUN has the exposure that when the network is down you're
stuck. (Conflicting requirements between your security people and your
business continuity people. Lock them in a room together and let them
fight it out.)

> sudo nor pmrun address the issue of the "*Enter root password for
> maintenance, or CTL-D to continue*" prompt when the system has problems
> starting up.

Indeed.
And that prompt is driven by the INITRD phase, before /sbin/init (or
SystemD) gets control and could spawn your console shell.

> I've convinced our security people that the zLinux console is acceptably
> protected by the "logon by" option, especially after pointing out how the
> typed zLinux password is displayed, and the console is spooled.

Awesome! Progress.

> So, now I just want to get all this auto-login working properly. :-)

Should be just a question of getting a shell spawned directly (either
via inittab or from SystemD).
Call or send email off-list if I can help.

-- R; <><