On 11/30/20 1:16 PM, Alan Haff wrote:
> I have a number of Linux guests running under z/VM. I'd like to move some of
> them to a KVM host running in another LPAR. Naively I tried DDRing a guest's
> disks to new volumes and IPLing off of the new volumes. No luck, the virtio
> modules aren't available in the guest so it can't see any DASD.
>
> Has someone put together a recipe for moving a guest from z/VM to KVM? Or am
> I heading down a dead end?

I'm not aware of one, but I wouldn't call it a dead end, either. As a
first step, I would rebuild the initrd with whatever parameters are
needed to include the virtio drivers, then try again. I have to think
that /etc/fstab entries would need to be looked at as well.

I seem to recall that Micro Focus acquired the Platespin products. It
might be instructive to see what those do for Intel systems that are to
be moved to KVM as a model.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390