On 12/1/20 5:25 PM, Alan Haff wrote:
Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard J Moore:

In this case I think you're saying have two configurations - one under KVM
and another under zVM. Then manually co-ordinate the sharing or resources
but ensure that you don't have both guests logged on simultaneously.

Right. Both LPARs - the one running z/VM and the one running KVM - share the
same DS8800. I created new volumes, shutdown the z/VM guest, cloned the z/VM
guest's DASD to the new volumes, and then brought the new volumes online to the
KVM LPAR and attempted to IPL the guest from them.

I matched the DASD addresses in the definition of the KVM guest to the DASD
addresses in the z/VM guest so I'm hoping /etc/fstab will be good to go.

z/VM:

       DEDICATE 100 7458
       DEDICATE 101 7459

KVM:

       <address type='ccw' cssid='0xfe' ssid='0x0' devno='0x0100'/>
and
       <address type='ccw' cssid='0xfe' ssid='0x0' devno='0x0101'/>

After I get the KVM guest to IPL successfully I'll re-IP it and then I should
be able to have both guests up at the same time (although my goal is to
eventually replace the z/VM guest with the KVM guest).
I assume it's SLES, because as far as I know, with RHEL the virtio
drivers are mandatory.
Should work if you add the following lines to /etc/dracut.conf (before
cloning):
 add_dracutmodules+="dasd_rules"
 add_drivers+="virtio_blk dasd_eckd_mod"
and then run
 dracut -f
 grub2-zipl-setup
(The DASD stuff in the initramfs is not strictly needed, but you're on
the safe side if you ever want to IPL in LPAR or z/VM)
Maybe to obvious, but don't forget to assign unique IP addresses to the
KVM guest to avoid networking confusion.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

--
Kind Regards,
   Viktor