Hi Tobias.

 > The computers I had in mind was those with (say) 128 to 256 kb
 > of RAM; x86 or not. (Running an Atari Portfolio with TCP/IP in
 > Linux-8086, for example :)

 > I had already heard that 512 kb was enough ta handle TCP/IP, but
 > I find it hard to beleive that AT's would run the software
 > mentioned in 128 kb of total RAM.

 > (At speeds higher than 2400 bits/s, anyways. Remember that
 > Linux-8086 probably uses more memory than early DOS versions).

I can't speak for higher speeds, but I once ran a SLIP link across a
2400 Baud modem on an 8086 with 192k of RAM, so it's certainly
possible within that spec.

 > What I wanted was a discussion about TCP/IP in computers with
 > very limited memory. But if the discussion about network
 > capabilities was targeted directly at the standard AT/XT, I
 > guess there's no need for it. Sorry?

It needs to be considered, but I would suspect buffer space to be a
bigger constraint on low memory machines.

 > Anyone ever tried putting ELKS in ROM for computers with tiny
 > memory?

No, but I like the idea.

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |
 * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html