Veronica Parsons wrote:

> Hi Steve
>
> >Say, you aren't using an HP Omnigo by chance?
> Right maker, different model - HP200lx.
>
> >This is a palmtop based on the vadem vg230 that boots from ROM, briefly
> >runs DOS then executes GEOS. I have programs that allow me to catch the
> >device after boot in DOS.
>
> When it boots to DOS it checks for a config.sys/autoexec.bat in the RAM disk,
> drive C first. If there isn't one, then it boots from D, the ROM disk.

I believe this to be the way the ogo is set up. I will check.

> The image files needs changing to load a loader then load the system, much as
> the image does, but specifically for this unit.

I am new to this, but capable of learning. Could you elaborate? What am I looking for?
In what ways would the image files need to be changed? What is this loader? Is this
a DOS executable that I have to compile for an 8086?

Also, were you successful with the HP200lx? Do you know what uP this is using?
I wonder how close your source/etc would be to what I need? What did you use to
boot to elks? Did you have this loader? Did you have to compile this loader special?
What sort of parameterization was required. I have been unable to find this stuff on
the various elks pages. If it is there, feel free to point me to it with a slight
reprimand! [grin]

> Does yours give you a chance to get
> in in the boot?

How would I know? Once I set to boot into DOS mode, I always boot to DOS mode.
(Uless I let all my batteries die and the system restarts. Not a bad safety feature
but I suspect could get old...)

Is there anything I could do to check?

> You may be able to figure something from the tech docs for the
> Omnigo. They may be available. I doc stuff for mine off the web - there being enough
> years of 'hacker' base for it to be available.

Not really much technically available for the ogo. It was when I stumbled on the
detailed
datasheet for the vadem chip that the ogo is based on did I think of trying this. In
fact it is
quite dusty sitting in a drawer awaiting batteries and the weekend for me to play.

> Have a web search and see what turns up.
> If HP do some official, there is more than likely something around.
>
> Whatever, you are likely to need to do some work I suspect.

Willing to give it a shot!

Thanks again,
Steve