From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:50:01 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> > > Thanks for the info.
> > >
> > > While not a fan of TV wrestling (gag) he does have a very good point.
> > >
> > > *HE* won the gold.  *HE* reached the pinnacle of achievement which
> > > none of his opponents have even come within reach of.
> >
> > My point exactly.  While you both have a right to be somewhat arrogant
> > (after all, you have each achieved quite a bit in your own way) and you
> > are nearly as annoying as he is,
>
> Sorry Aaron, I meant to say 'and you aren't nearly as annoying as he is.

No offense taken.  I know I'm annoying on USENET....by design.
                        (Ask Drestin Adress)

> My bad :(
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: 1 Aug 2000 23:53:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>>         From a grove of birch trees it came.
>Is that tired, worn-out phrase the best you can do, Closet-dicatator?

        What can one expect from someone who seems like he's live among
John Birch trees? ;-)

>> >What does the Rand Corporation have to do with this?
>>         Ayn Rand, novelist and idolizer of capitalism.
>Correction: Liberty.  You have something against individual rights?

        Presumably the right to practice capitalism.

        Which would make fencing stolen goods *very* good. And Napster
*very* good. Etc. etc. etc.

>>         Thus making failure to construct a well-behaved process much less
>> costly. DOS is much better at punishing failure :-)

>DOS penalizes all process for the mistakes of one by crashing.

        It's not the processes that count, it's the computer user. And
Linux and similar OSes are bad, according to Kulkis's ideology, because
they don't punish users enough.

--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: "scaddenp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:41:37 +1200

>I didn't do so because people involved with GNU and Linux don't need
>the obvious explained to them.  You may find it "controversial" that
>folks have been getting and enjoying things like Linux, GNU and WinAmp
>for free for years but it's not hardly "controversial" in the groups
>to which you fowarded my little essay.    If you think you have
>something to say, say it yourself.

Hmm. These strike me as "free" largely meaning "paid for by someone else".
With most of these projects, it seems to me the US Tax payer is picking up
the tag. (Thank goodness
I am not in the US). How much of the development do you suppose was done by
people
who took salary for the time they spent on the project but where their job
description doesnt
include "making free software"? Perhaps a lot of it was encompassed in terms
of "doing
research for the public good" and getting free software IS the public good.
However I suspect
a great many of those $$$ came one way or another from tax.

However, I do agree that those of us who download and use the products are
indeed enjoying
a largely free lunch (particularly those of us outside the US).

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:55:13 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> > Refresh my memory....
> >
> > Exactly how is re-installing the operating system, re-installing all of
> > the applications, and then having to tweak all of the settings through
> > a gui every couple of months "easier to maintain and operate"
>
> We now know why it says "Unix Systems Engineer" in your sig.  If that's how
> you administer Windows then you are not qualified to.
>
> > In EXCEEDINGLY RARE the event of catastrophic failure on a Unix machine,
> > all you have to do is
> >
> > a) reload the absolute minimal base operating system (30 min max.)
> > b) recover from last night's backup tapes.
> >
> > ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaah, perfect restoration.
> >
> > Unix engineer goes back to desk, relaxes, posts to Usenet,
>
> Wow, that's so complicated.  You still get paged from time to time don't you
> ;-)?  When we need to do a system setup or restore, we just netboot and the
> unattended installer on the server puts 2000 on the box and the post install
> WSH script reinstalls the standard load of apps. Intellimirror restores any
> personal files to their places on the local drive (although we prohibit
> local storage for the most part).

I was talking worst-case scenario for Unix.

First,... a typical Unix box can expect to go its ENTIRE LIFETIME
without suffering catastrophic filesystem damage.

Thus...for many Unix boxes...the call never comes...EVER.

In the event that it does happen, then you can do an instant-ignite
over the net, and then restore the backup from over the net.

... and I haven't moved from my chair.

> Of course we have the *option* of doing it your way but it's so much more
> complicated than setting the machine for restore and either rebooting it
> remotely to start the restore or fixing the hardware (new hard drive etc.),
> turning it on and walking away.
>
> Windows engineer never left desk.  Relaxation uninterrupted.

Still playing Catch-up.  Unix had all of this technology in 1996.

> > Meanwhile, drestin adress will be working overtime on his LoseNT box,
> > long into the night...going home when he has achieved the mere goal
> > of "getting it running"...and then will resume working on this ONE
> > BOX for the next two day.
>
> So that's why our AIX crew have been slaving for months to get WebSphere to
> work passably on the $500K fully redundant farm of B50's and H70's (secured
> by PIXs and sprayed by LocalDirectors) here in our test lab.  When all along
> our single Intellistation development box performs 100x as fast on Windows
> 2000 with IIS/5.0 and took 15 min to setup.  Hmmm.

AIX is a piece of crap.  Personally, I don't even consider it to
be a true unix (Posix-conformance not withstanding)

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:57:08 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > EVERY Fortune 500 company I have worked at keeps their most
> > > important databases on AS/400's and Unix machines.
> >
> > which demonstrates exactly what we've been saying all along. You are full of
> > it! And, besides, so what if 1 or 2 F500 companies keep "most" of their
> > "important" databases on AS/400s and Unix machines according to ex-employee
> > kookis. All the rest run on less expensive, easier to maintain/operate and
> > more productive Windows/Intel boxes.
>
> Oh god!
>
> I get tired of this argument that running on wintel is better than
> running on AS/400s (or *nix boxes) because it is "cheaper".  By the time
> you actually get a wintel box/cluster running at the same performance as
> any AS/400 (for similar jobs) you have spent an equal amount of money on
> the wintel solution, plus you have the added benefit of always wondering
> when some aspect of it will fail and you will be re-installing.  I have
> yet to see wintel provide a solution as stable as an AS/400, and
> stability does count when you are talking 'cost'.
>
> As far as *nix goes I can usually put together a box/cluster of *nix
> boxes for a lot less money than the equivalent with Windows on Intel,
> and still end up with more stability and reliability.  Once again,
> stability does count when you are talking about 'cost'.
>
> After all, wasn't it Microsoft that started screaming bloody murder
> about total-cost-of-ownership when they thought people were starting to
> gain interest in other operating systems?  I have yet to see proof that
> forced upgrades every couple of years and a lot of down time in between
> is more cost-efficient than a solid AS/400 or *nix solution with little
> to no unscheduled downtime and no forced upgrade cycle.

Quite true.  Most the early 1990's Unix machines I come across
are running the very latest software releases.

Hehj heheh heh

> I admit, I took the bait, but comparing AS/400s to Wintel and claiming
> Wintel is superior, even on a cost basis is just silly.  I have yet to
> see a Wintel solution be as stable as an AS/400 or a *nix solution.  And
> TCO includes downtime, does it not?
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ed Reppert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 23:58:06 GMT

In article <8m36fh$dtt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan Coopersmith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > Officially, any OS that gets certified as meeting the standards set
 > forth by the Open Group can be called "UNIX(TM)" - currently that list
 > includes Solaris, AIX, Tru64 (aka Digital UNIX), IRIX, UnixWare, HP-UX,
 > and even IBM OS/390.

OS/390 is Unix?! When did that happen?

 > For full details see http://www.unix-systems.org/

I'll go check it out.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:59:08 -0400

Jen wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:02:27 GMT, fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >Mats Olsson wrote:
> >>
> >>     http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_27.htm
> >>

> >THAT was the link I was after...thanks!
>
> From the same site that also said this on their home page:
>
> "We are particularly interested in Microsoft's COMWare architecture,
> centered around COM+, because we believe it offers companies the
                                ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Note weasel phrase A : "we believe" (we don't know)
Note weasel phrase B : "it offers"  (it might give, or maybe not...)

> opportunity to build high throughput (100,000,000+ transaction per
> day) web based commerce systems with extremely low cost per
> transactions."

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:00:47 -0400

Roger Lindsj| wrote:

> In article <fBgh5.9733$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Mats Olsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:8m40bk$5t8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <SNIP>
>
> >>     http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_27.htm
> >
> >That's a competitor from IBM rebutting the findings of
> >http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_26.htm.
>
> So, most of the people with any knowledge will be working for some
> compeating company. Do you always assume that people lie? Anyway, what

Since that's the Standard Operating Procedure for MS-Losevocates,
they assume that everyone else must rely on lies as well.

> he is saying isn't that the results were abtained by cheating (the
> high scores were achieved by running the test), but the numbers might
> be missleading. Wait for the next newsletter, if Compaq think he is
> wrong, they'll probably have someone refute his findings.
>
> Analogy: You want to buy a really fast car to impress your friends. So
> you shop around and see Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, etc. They are all
> very fast, some doing more than 200 mph. But then you see the rocket
> car used to break the sound barrier. It is THE fastest car around, but
> would it be practical to use? "Sure my car is faster than your I'll
> show your. All I need is miles and miles of flat dessert, some very
> flammable propellant, a large crew to get the car ready, no wind,
> absolutely no rain, etc." So the car is THE fastest, but a lot of
> impractical conditions has to be met in order for it to operate.
>
> Roger Lindsjö

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:01:22 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Roger Lindsj|" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8m495i$6kn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <fBgh5.9733$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >"Mats Olsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:8m40bk$5t8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <SNIP>

> > >That's a competitor from IBM rebutting the findings of
> > >http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_26.htm.
> >
> > So, most of the people with any knowledge will be working for some
> > compeating company. Do you always assume that people lie? Anyway, what
> > he is saying isn't that the results were abtained by cheating (the
> > high scores were achieved by running the test), but the numbers might
> > be missleading. Wait for the next newsletter, if Compaq think he is
> > wrong, they'll probably have someone refute his findings.
> >
> > Analogy: You want to buy a really fast car to impress your friends. So
> > you shop around and see Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, etc. They are all
> > very fast, some doing more than 200 mph. But then you see the rocket
> > car used to break the sound barrier. It is THE fastest car around, but
> > would it be practical to use? "Sure my car is faster than your I'll
> > show your. All I need is miles and miles of flat dessert, some very
> > flammable propellant, a large crew to get the car ready, no wind,
> > absolutely no rain, etc." So the car is THE fastest, but a lot of
> > impractical conditions has to be met in order for it to operate.
>
> More car analogies?  This is Windows 2000.  It's as flexible and practical
> as a Camry.  So what if it's got a rocket engine hiding under the hood :-)

Mike Byrns is quite obviously a crack addict.

Get help, Mike.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ed Reppert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 00:07:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:

 > 'ls' is less readable than 'dir'
 > 'cat' is less readable than 'type'
 > 'grep' is definately less readable than 'find' or 'search'

cat >> .bashrc
alias dir=ls
alias type=cat
alias search= grep