From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:29:17 -0500

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:16:28 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> as a

> > >Even though I know you're just being facetious, to be completely
> > >accurate, Linux stole market share from other Unixes. Windows'
> > >market share hasn't declined, in fact continues to rise.
> >
> > I could argue with that - but it's more fun pointing out that you're
> > saying that "professionally written"  Windows NT wasn't able to grab
> > that percentage of the market away from Unix, while "non-professional"
> > linux was. :-)
>
> For those folks running commercial UNIces linux was a natural.  The barriers
> to entry were almost non-existant.  Remeber that most tech folks in UNIX
> shops are constantly battling initiatives from the business side that carry
> a lower pricetag when done on NT.  The UNIX back shop has to constantly
> defend their knowledge base and keep NT out or have their bloated IT
> salaries look ridiculously out of proportion to the same talent on Windows.

"Bloated" Salaries for UNIX people?

Sorry...but the Windows support assholes are only 10% as productive as
the
typical Unix person...by that measure, Windows support personell should
have salaries in the $3,000-$10,000 / year range.

Anything more is slary bloat for the non-productive MS platform.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: You're not just Whistler, XP!
Date: 13 Feb 2001 05:30:44 GMT

T. Max Devlin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Codenames are arbitrary.  In fact, due to some of the trademark issues,
: you want them to be bad, as well as arbitrary.  I think a collision may
: eventually occur between trademark issues and anti-trust issues simply
: because codenames are bandied about so readily these days they could
: effectively turn into pre-announcements, if they are chosen in order to
: be attractive.

If "whistler" is referring to the pay per view software concept, a much better
codename for it would be "Operation Foot Bullet". Besides being unattractive a
codename, it would be accurate albeit an understatement. The pay per view ware
would be more like shooting yourself in the foot with a nuclear missile. (see
other thread on details about workings of nukes...)

I guess "whistler" is a lame attempt at hiding the word "whistleblower" as a
reference to it "whistling" if you dare not pay your tithe. In the other
"whistler"/".NET" thread I got that exact impression.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.religion.kibology,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: I just realized why Google bought Deja.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:34:31 -0500

Mikal 606 wrote:

> "Leeb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > You know, I betcha the fine folks at Google are going to grep Usenet
> > posts for URLs and use them as pointers to stuff on the Web.
> >
> > Too wild.
> >
> > leeb
> >

> Well ``leeb", if that IS your real name, allow me to label that one steaming
> hunk of rancid balogona.
> You see, it is that like all entranced entities, Google must be searching
> for the ``end point", said end point being the beginning from the actual
> starting point that hasnt happened yet.

In other words....Google is searching for the mother of all web pages?

> And then pressing the little buBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM
>
> HTH,HAND,IYKWIM,AITYD!
>
> > --
> > Leeb * Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
> > Http://www.mindspring.com/~bumgarls/ "{My parents} embarrassed
> > the hell out of me, and I swore I would grow up to be normal.
> > But what's written in one's DNA cannot be denied. Thirty years later,
> > I am a 46-year-old Jewish bisexual priestess of eco-feminist
> > witchcraft." --Washington Post

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:35:11 -0500

> T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Said Mike Byrns in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:08:10
> >   [...]
> >>Perhaps they, not you, define legality?  I don't think that the USGov is
> >>"scared" in any way.  Triffled yes.
> >
> >Parsing error:Microsoft is the scared one.
> >
>     Excuse my butting in here but what is "Triffled" ?

very very mildly effected.

> --
> How much do we need to pay you to screw Netscape?
>         - BILL GATES, to AOL in a 1996 meeting

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:39:29 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Tom Wilson in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:59:33
>    [T. Max:]
> >> They're sock puppets.  They've made their money in the MS world, and are
> >> terrified they would be incapable of doing so in a non-MS world.  Plus,
> >> their money is still tied to MS, generally, which re-enforces their
> >> fear.  Like Gates and Palmer, they watch their stock value shrink, and
> >> they think of Linux, and they'll say or try to believe anything to avoid
> >> confronting the reality that Windows is doomed.
> >
> >I make money off of them too by developing software and I certainly don't
> >have any sympathy for developers worried about their next paycheck if
> >Windows development should dry up in the future. If you can't adapt - Find
> >a new line of work. As for stockholders losing money - That kind of goes
> >with the territory. If THEY can't adapt, there's always a bridge or
> >skyscraper.
>
> The world does not consist solely of developers and stockholders, but
> your point is not lost.  Still, its not really relevant, either;
> developers would not make very good sock puppets to begin with.
>
> They make their money by selling out to MS; that cash is going to dry up
> if MS is not allowed to monopolize, and it has nothing to do with
> technology.

Booo-fucking-hoo.  They chose to hitch their wagon to the demon-spawn,
and then, eventually, to padlock the hitches....

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: 13 Feb 2001 05:41:01 GMT

Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I think, if MS really pulls a stunt like that, they will be in for a rather
: nasty surprise.

It's already in progress. Companies now hire consultants to come in and make
sure the company is compliant with the extortion-like software licensing. That
same software police have "truces" from time to time even! See:

http://www.bsatruce.org (or .com I forgot which)

These buggers are as serious about collecting their "protection money" as a
crime syndicate.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:50:20 GMT

In article <5H0i6.30249$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:96998r$9v6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> >But you are the exception to the norm. Even if there were a
>> >thousand people like you, it still so insignificant as to be
>> >almost not worth talking about. Less than one percent of one percent
>> >or something like that.
>>
>> If a thousand people were less than one percent of one percent, then the
>> total sample size would have to be larger than 10 million.
>>
>> Nice own goal, Chad :)
>
>You proved my point for me. There are tens of millions of computer
>users, of which only a couple hundred thousand are day-to-day
>Linux users.
>
>That's less than one percent of one percent. Even the more reason
>to ignore the Penguinistas.
>
>-Chad

The current estimate of Linux users world wide is 12% of the
total PC user population.  Thank you!

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:50:45 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Pete Goodwin (imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com) wrote:
>
> : You only need to phone them in if you're not on the Internet. Otherwise you
> : can do it that way.
>
> No thanks. I'll just use Slackware. You forget something. Maybe some people
> are SICK AND TIRED OF GIVING OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION. I'm one of them. I use

Damn straight.

> cash as much as possible these days. I use no "preferred customer card". I'm

Same hear.  I am absolutely repulsed by the idea of a supermarket
keeping
track of what particular items I, as an individual, purchase at their
store.
They know what their sales rates are.  They have absolutely *NO* good
reason
to know exactly who purchased what item, other than for the purpose of
being
extremely invasive.

> damn near to the point of using an alias when shopping with fake address when
> asked for that information. I no longer answer the phone due to telemarketers,

Caller ID is good for this.

> letting a fax carrier put my number into a killfile list for the scum to
> trade. Or, they get a busy signal.
>
> : >Future versions of MS software (upgrades, service packs*, add-ons) will
> : >only be available online through .NET.  This looks like an attempt by MS
> : >to force people to pay for software on a monthly basis - like cable TV.
>
> : Yuk!!!
>
> Now you get the idea. Sucks, doesn't it. It's your choice. Get assimilated by
> the borg that sucks your wallet dry like a black hole or pick up that Linux
> album and install floppies. Now, go to a computer store to the _Linux_
> section and free yourself from the titanium fist of the MS-Borg(tm) v.1.0.
>
> Once monthly payments come about, what's next? Pop-up banner crap as you work?
> Pay per save? Where does MS-Greed(tm) end? When Microsoft owns the entire
> planet, making it MS-Earth(tm) v.1.0?
>
> : Yeah, you'll need the phone here as you cut yourself off when you changed
> : Network card. Can you image how _swamped_ Microsoft's lines will become if
> : this ever sees the light of day?
>
> MS could always have a 1-900 line in China. Just call for your launch codes
> and you get auto-billed - and the operators make pennies an hour. Maybe
> MS-Echelon(tm) will catch that idea... or the server BSODs.
>
> : Hmmm... maybe. Trouble is, people just accept things like this and carry
> : on.
>
> Or will shitcan computers en masse, making for lots of computers for us Linux
> fans to make into clusters by dumpster diving.
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Downgrading to Mandrake 7.2 - did Linux become a windoze clone?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:53:51 GMT

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
wrote:
> > A lot of RPM packages, that I could download from the net were packaged
> > with a newer version of RPM and the one included in Mandrake 7.1 could
not

> Then they were not mandrake packages surely?
>
> > handle them. Funny, that even the new version of 'rpm' was packed with
>
> This is a traditional RH trick. They've done it at least twice before
> that I can remember. One was round about RH 4.1 time, if I recall ...
> You need a "stepping stone" . in this case it is a special rpm
> version that can read the old DB format but unpack the new rpm.
> It's on mandrakes (rh's?) site.
>
> > that, so I've seen no way to get around this problem other than upgrade
>
> Well, you could have compiled the new rpm. But why bother? You can
> unpack rpms easily enough, and then repack them to your hearts content.
> I agree that they were incredibly stupid to pull this trick, but they
> were probably completely unaware. Same as RH's compiler trick, no?
>
> > to 7.2 which had a newer rpm in it. OK, I bought Mandrake "COMPLETE"
> > the 4CD version from Macmillan Software. Compared to my previous 2CD
> > version 7.1. it is rather incomplete!
>
> Yes. It is incomplete. It's a beta meted out to fulfil contractual
> deadlines with Walmart. The one on the net is the complete version.
>
> > In conclusion: Mandrake 7.2 provides a very flashy install and boot
system,

> No ... it's not the mandrake 7.2, it's the walmart package that you
> picked up. Hobsons choice.

Which you can find sitting on shelves at Staples and OfficeMax as well....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:55:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Sloan wrote:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>
>> But it has. It has grabbed a significant amount of server share from
>> Unix. When NT 4.0 was released, NT made up less than 2% of the
>> server market. It now makes up a majority, IIRC. If not, close to it.
>
>You're sadly mistaken - windows nt has gained market share
>solely at the expense of other pc operating systems such as
>netware, OS2 and windows for workgroups.
>
>> There was, is, and always will be a strong Unix contingent just
>> because Unix admins are blockheads and refuse to use whatever's
>> best, only Unix. However, Linux is a suitable alternative, so
>> this is why Unix has made in-roads. It's not unix, but it's
>> close enough and it's a lot cheaper than Solaris or HP-UX.
>
>It's not Unix by a lawyer's definition, but it's Unix by
>a techie definition, to be sure. and it's the fastest
>developing Unix in existence.
>
>jjs

With 250,000 developers working on Linux world wide, it
has become humankinds largest software project ever.

It certaintly has to be within the top 30 projects of
all mankind.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:52:44 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Salvador Peralta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:967va9$33i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson quoth:
> >
> > > Anyone suggesting Linux is making inroads at the (successful)
> > > enterprise level is just plain nutz...
> >
> > Tell it to IDC:
> >
> > "Linux servers are now embedded in the Internet infrastructure and are
> > strong comepetition for nt and unix entry servers."
>
> "entry" is the key word here.
>
> > The majority of Linux users surveyed also cited four nines availability
> > with Linux, or  less than one hour of unexpected downtime per year."
>
> And Linux users (Penguinistas) have never been known to exaggerate or
> lie to further their cause. Basically the claim of stability is just
> that, a claim. IDC has not cited conclusive proof that there is, in fact,
> "four nines" availability with Linux. Hearsay, really.
>
> > SuSe and Corel got outcompeted by Redhat and IBM in the US corporate
> > markets, and by Redhat and Mandrake in the US home user market.  Corel,
> > Applix, and others found that they could not compete with gnome or kde
> > in the application development arena.  I believe that netscape may one
> > day discover this as well.
>
> Of course, the entire market including OS and apps is under ten million
> or so, so it's really not worth talking about.
>
> > There is no question that linux is a superior paradigm for the end user
> > who is a professional developer or engineer.
>
> Yes, there is a question. If I switched to Linux right now, I would
> see an instant 100% drop in productivity. Why? Not because of the
> learning curve. I'll even give you a bone and forget about that part
> for now.  Why else, then? Because there are no good development IDEs
> on Linux. I use Visual J++ on Windows to develop java, and then
> compile the Sun JDK 1.3 compiler to get 100% pure java classes. The
> VJ++ IDE is awesome though because of pop-up method/field lists, the
> pop-up function references with javadoc comments included, among
> many other features. The only closest editor that's this good is
> JEdit that I've found at least. EMacs has too steep a learning curve
> and I'd be fighting my editor, which I don't want to do. I want
> my editor to work for me, not the other way around.
>
> > Linux *IS* more stable than windows
>
> Hardly. Windows9x maybe, but not 2000.
>
> > You *CAN* integrate your own applications into the system.
>
> But who has the time.
>
> > The tools *ARE* better, and this *WILL* make you more productive.
>
> Most of the tools that I use on Linux I can get for Windows as well.
> I have grep, make, and many others. Other than those type of tools,
> Linux really isn't all that useful.
>
> > Compared to what I have now, my windows pc was a toy.
>
> Well, then you really don't know what you're talking about. You're
> a Unix guy who doesn't have a clue about Windows and feels the need
> to bash it unfairly to hide his own ignorance.

You complete fucking idiot.....

Name even *ONE* person in modern computing who isn't familiar
with Windows....you shit-for-brains oxygen thief.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.