From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:48:18 -0500

Perry Pip wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:15:22 +0000,
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >mlw wrote:
> >
> >> I can understand why Linux users hate Windows, it is something we are
> >> too frequently forced to use even though it, as an operating
> >> environment, is terrible at best.
> >
> >Oh life is so hard using Windows isn't it!
>
> When it takes one twice as long to do one's works under Windows it's
> unreasonable at all to dislike it.
>
> >> What I can't understand, is the bitter hatred and resentment that some
> >> of the Windows zealots have. They have freedom of choice, they can use
> >> their environment to their hearts content, they can buy almost any
> >> software for it. Why spread FUD and criticize a different environment?
> >
> >Because you guys keep reporting misinformation about Windows that's why!
>
> Misinformation?? Where?? You're the one with six years Windows
> experience, a week of Linux experience...claiming Linux is not as
> good.
>
> >> The only reason I can come up with is fear. They must be afraid of
> >> Linux. The only reason they would have to be afraid is because Linux is
> >> better than Windows. They have to know this, else they would not be
> >> afraid.
> >
> >Currently I'm certainly not afraid of Linux. I _want_ Linux to compete with
> >Windows. I just wish it did!
>
> No, you _want_ linux to be like windows, becuase you're too lazy to
> learn something new and different. This is why you are waiting for
> Borland to port their dev tools to Linux instead of learning the tools
> that already exist.
>
> >What amazes me is the depths of insults you
> >guys have to stoop to when things don't go your way!
>
> Insults?? Like your thread about renaming this newsgroup? Your entire
> presence on this NG is about your frustration with something that is
> new and different.

Petey boy is too dain-bramaged to cope with an improved paradigm.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Keldon Warlord 2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:57:45 -0800

> > > It's really sad when sarcasm and wit isn't noticed anymore. They
> > > make the English language so special. As Peter Ustinov said,
> > > English is the only language where you need to interpret the
> > > law. :-)
> >
> > its really sad that you think that those attributes of the human
language
> > can be adequately expressed in a written forum.
>
> Are you a moron?
>
> You certainly write like one.

ok....if you couldn't even understand a concept as simple as sarcasm can't
be expressed very well in a written forum, then you've earned the right to
be in my killfile.

goodbye, moron.

*PLONK*

------------------------------

From: "John Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:02:05 GMT

So, it's ok for Linux users to hate Windows, but not Windows users to hate
Linux?  Can you spell "hypocrite"?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nick Saxon" <n-dot-saxon-at-mindspring-dot-com>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:10:20 -0500 (EST)

Congratulations, Mr. Aaron R.Kulkis!
You have been killfiled here.

Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Annoyed at installations
Date: 01 Jan 2001 01:05:23 GMT

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:15:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 23 Dec 2000 17:18:39 +1000, "x" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm not a Linux hater
>
>You will be shortly.
Like Anonymous Steve here (x).

>> but I am annoyed at some of the major Linux websites
>>out there.  I initially installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo) from a CD-ROM
>>that came with a computer magazine and small instruction book.  I don't
>>have the instruction book anymore and I thought the internet would be able
>>to help me.  It hasn't really helped at all.
>
>If you haven't spent at least a week looking for the information, then
>you haven't really tried at all now have you?
Hahaha, this fron the "I spent a *whole* day on Linux Wintroll himself?

>>I'm interested in setting up a webserver and heard about Apache which is
>>installed on my Linux partition.  The configuration file was just not
>>friendly enough for me so I searched the internet for relevant material.
>>Ahh Comanche!  (Configuration Manager for Apache)  By the screen shots it
>>looked very user friendly, so I downloaded it.
>
>Linux not friendly?
Not to morons like x its not.

>What blasphemies are we spouting here?
Your the one blaspheming, you tell us ?

>Where Linux is concerned looks are always deceiving. So is Linux for
>that matter.
Its the 'alleged' experts like you Steve who are deceiving.

>>  Ofcourse I read the
>>instructions before hand.  I uncompressed it, then untarred it, and ... no
>>executables, no relevant readme files, no Makefile, nothing!  What's gone
>>wrong!
Ask the authors ?

>Be thankful you didn't hose your entire system.
Hahahah, THIS is total FUD. Steve is thinking of hosing the Windows
registry again aren't ya mate ?

> You need to write your
>own makefile,
Total BS.

> and you might have change a few options in the compiler
He might want to optimise for Pentium, instead of i386 ?

>but you'll get it sooner or later. We are all counting on you now so
>don't let us down.
I'm not counting on him. You realy need a clue Steve, you're slipping badly.

>>Anyway after 9 hours, 12 reboots, 8 internet connections, and more reading
>>and downloading, I'm were I started at the beginning of the day.  Sure I
>>can understand configuration files.  If I didn't I'd go read up on them.
Sounds like it.

>Only 9 hours?
Steve spent a *whole* day on Linux, thats 8 working hrs, less grinding his
accordian in the local mall for breakfast (3 hrs), and waiting at the soup
kitchen for lunch (1 hr). Yep Steve spent a whole 4 hrs on Linux himself.

>Come back in a week.
Steve keeps coming back.

>>But when it comes to installation of any software, websites just give the
>>crappiest information.
Some do, don't generalise tho, It just makes you look silly.

>Why should you even have to go to a website for instructions on how to
>install software?
Ho hum.

> Oh yea I forgot , this is Linux. The system that is
>supposed to be better than Windows.
It is. Linux simply has the edge!

>>For example:  Instructions for downloading and installing the latest TCL
>>Compiler.
>>(The only instructions on this website for UNIX users)
I just selected tlc/tk on my cd. Done.

>>After you've downloaded the appropriate file, run gunzip -c tcl8.3.2.tar.gz
Man gunzip!
-c --stdout --to-stdout
              Write  output  on  standard  output;  keep original
              files unchanged.  If there are several input files,
              the  output consists of a sequence of independently
              compressed members. To obtain  better  compression,
              concatenate  all  input  files  before  compressing
              them.

>>All that did was verbally list the contents of the archive to screen (for
>>15 minutes).  Thanks for the installation instructions!  (They were the
>>only installation instructions for UNIX users by the way).
Complain to the author ?

>Sounds like something a Peguin-pal will go wild over. I mean all that
>text scrolling by on the screen has got to light them up!
Droll, Steve very droll.

>>I'm just not having any luck installing new software and no luck running
>>existing software.
Buy a book and find out what you ned to do ?

>>  I can't get the dial-up networking to work, so I can't
>>use the internet while I'm in Linux.
Why ?

>>  And the damn X-windows is running at
>>1280x1024 on my 15" monitor and I can't change the resolution.
Then why did you select that resolution ?

>Welcome to Linux the system that RUNS the internet but doesn't allow
>you to CONNECT to the internet.
Hahahah, try again Steve, I run Linux, I'm here!

>>More people would take up Linux if there was a Help Website or Linux
There is a TON of Linux help about, you do have to look however.

>But they are not, mainly for the same reasons you are having troubles.
Simply wrong Stevie boy.

>Linux sucks.
You orta know, you've been on COLA for 3 years, and haven't managed to get
Linux running yet.

>>Reference for setting up things.  A simple table of Contents would suffice;
>>ie.  Linux Installation, X-Windows Setup (including desktop and resolution
>>:) ), Installing New Software, Installing New Hardware.   New Linux OS
>>packages should come with user-friendly interfaces or atleast user-friendly
>>configuration utilites.
Then please feel free to write one ?

>It's on the To-Do list, after another 100 text editors, compilers and
>perl scripts are written. We should see some relief by 2100 or so.
Steves relief comes fortnightly, but he better keep looking for a job!

>>From what I've seen, the only people who know what their doing with Linux
>>are those who have studied it for a long time.  I shouldn't have to know
>>how to program various languages in Linux just to run a couple of
>>applications.  After all, that's all a webserver is, an application with
>>settings.
Gee, I shouldnt have to know how to fly a plane, after all, a plane is
just a car with wings ?

>Wasted their time, not studied.
And Steve hasnt 'wasted' a second of his time studying Linux have you ?

>>Anyway I'll keep trying.  It just seems that the only way newbies can
>>progress through the Linux system is if they ask questions and get answers
>>or spend a fortune on books or courses.
Oh a Wintroll in the making

All the help you need is on the net, tho ONE book would be good. Steve has the
whole set of 'Windows Secrets' they cost him a fortune too!

Fortunately for you Linux has no 'secrets', its mostly Free Software :)

>>  And I'm just talking your average
>>wannabe Linux user.
Average wanabe Wintroll you mean ?

>The true Penguin-pal never admits to Linux's many faults and
>absolutely NEVER admits to having problems.
My Linux box is working fine Steve...

>That's why they call it Lie-Nux.
Thats all Steve does with it, Lies.

>>A good example, is someone putting forward a configuration problem, and
>>another person replying "it's this config file in this path".  How are we
>>supposed to know???
You'll find out if you can spend longer than the mandatory Wintroll
"whole day" with Linux.

>Another week of reading and maybe you'll find the answer. Hint: man
>path won't do it for you.
Good guess Steve!

>>By the way, Windows 95 users want small taste of webserving, check out
>>Simple Server.  It's a puny program about 1/4 MB but it impressed me.  From
>>download to installation (actually there was no installation) and running
>>it, about 15 minutes.  Hehe
Should run for 47 days before the Windows OS locks up too :)
Or was that 47 hours ?

>That's what Windows is all about.
Locking up ?

> Easy to use, setup and run
>applications that real world people can use.
I'm a real world person, sadly my favorite game "Koules" will never
be available for Windows, ah well, too bad I don't use Windows anyway :)

> Not a hodgepodge of a
>conglomeration of junk like Linux is.
Wow, Steve you've excelled this time, what a extranious cacaphony
of irrellevant noises youve managed to make!

>>Cya
Bye Troll.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:11:05 GMT

John Smith wrote:

> So, it's ok for Linux users to hate Windows, but not Windows users to hate
> Linux?  Can you spell "hypocrite"?

I think what strikes most people as odd is that the windows
trolls hang out in Linux newsgroups and spew bs. Don't you
guys have a life or something? I mean, I can't be bothered to
spend any time in windows newsgroups, but you windows
trolls are obsessed with hanging out here and lowering the
signal-noise ratio... don't you have some sort of microsoft
newsgroups where you can hang out and tell each other
stories about how you hate Linux?

jjs

------------------------------

From: Jure Sah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 02:02:01 +0100

J Sloan wrote:
> Star office, netscape, gimp, napster, xmms, quake 3 arena,
> unreal tounament, heavy gear 2, tribes 2 etc  - all the apps
> one needs...

Dear Mr. Sheep-Brain,

Pherhaps you should devolop some personality of your own? Like you are;
thinking that Quake 3 arena, Netscape and other you mention are all you
need on a computer; you are complete average, no contrubution to the
planet you live in. You live so and you will die so, not leaving a trace
of yourself behind yourself...

--

Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
reply.

If somebody is sheep-brained he dosen't have problems with
socialization. What an irony...

Happy new year and this time the new millennium too. ;)

Those that are interested in the Mind project might look at:
HTTP://WWW.GeoCities.COM/GTSC4/mind.html (updated: 24.11.00)

457863656C656E742120596F75206465636F646564206D79207365637265
74206D6573736167652E20576F756C6420796F75206C696B6520746F2067
6574206120636F7079206F662074686520736F6674776172652049207573
656420746F20656E636F6465207468697320746578743F20446F6E277420
776F7272792C2049206D61646520697420616E6420492063616E20676976
6520697420746F20796F7520666F7220465245452E

GTSC4 -- If nobody else wants to do it, why shouldn't we?(TM)

From: Jure Sah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 02:06:00 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> > AN operating system is only as good as the programs that run on it.
>
> wrong.  An OS is only as good as it's kernel.  New Programs can be
> developed in parallel by anybody who has a copy of development tools.
> But the kernel can only be improved by a rather limited group of
> people.

Gees, I always found an OS without the software as a washing machine
without a program: Rather useless.

> > Therefor, Linux sucks.
>
> Linux will beat LoseDOS (in all forms) decades before Microsoft
> ever puts out a decent kernal that doesn't crash at the drop of a pin.

?????? Tell me of a OS that crashes on it's own!!!!!!!!!!!  Moron...

--

Don't feel bad about asking/telling me anything, I will always gladly
reply.

If somebody is sheep-brained he doesn't have problems with

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 18:25:47 -0700

> > www.intercation.com
>
> Average uptime of 7 days.   Not very good if true.

But true.  The machine has only existed for about a month and I rebooted
once to test if Netcraft would see it.  The old machine (the one this
replaced) was at 193 days before I took it down.

> > www.runreports.com
>
> "We have been monitoring www.runreports.com, but have not been able to
> detect uptime values"
>
> Says it's running under NT3/95, yet it's running IIS4.  Strange, since
IIS4
> is in NT4.

It's behind an MS Proxy Server 2 reverse proxy.  Didn't used to be.  When I
checked it (back when I still worked there, and it wasn't behind the proxy)
it was accurate.  I'll have to take it off of my list now.

> > www.nvisioncorp.com
>
> 24 days uptime.  Still not impressive if true.

True, but not my machine, so I cannot comment on why only 24 days.  I can
say that the sys-admin there is a Windows head and doesn't really like Unix,
but that may mean nothing.  He did tell me that he bought some new hardware
last month so that may have something to do with it, but I'll ask.

> > www.shytei.com
>
> "We have been monitoring www.shytei.com, but have not been able to detect
> uptime values"

At first I was confused, but then I remembered that they got rid of their T1
about 6 months ago and replaced it with a DSL from Jato.  Netopia router,
probably the same one that causes the same problem on your server.  Well, I
guess that I can't prove this one anymore, either.

> > www.firstsecuritybank.com
>
> "The host www.firstsecuritybank.com site is in our database of monitored
> hosts, and we have started to monitor it, but we do not yet have a
> sufficient number of samples to plot an uptime chart for
> www.firstsecuritybank.com. "

This is an SGI box co-located at US West (Qwest now, but US West way back
when).  I didn't verify this one myself but asked a friend to check up on it
for me.  I think he may have been looking at something else (they have a lot
of hosts at FSB), so for now I'll need to retract this one.  I'm going to
check back on it later and see if they have some numbers to plot and get my
friend to tell me the actual uptime of the machine.

> Given that 3 of your sites have no uptimes listed at all under netcraft,
how
> can put any faith that the 2 that are listed are correct according to you?

Doesn't really matter what I say, you won't have faith anyway.  Let's be
honest, I could be lying.  The only one I can prove is the InterCation one
because I posted on this group that I was going to reboot it two days before
I did and it showed up correctly.  Unfortunately there is no firewall there,
so it doesn't really fall under the arguements we've been having lately.
Still, though, it's more than the 0 sites that have been shown to be wrong.
And by that I mean, that someone who knows the actual uptimes claims they're
different than what Netcraft shows.  Still, people can lie, but no one has
even tried that yet.

So, anyway, what are those many sites with complex firewall schemes you
worked on?

Adam Ruth

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:27:57 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Therein lies the problem with Linux zealots.  They refuse to believe that
> Linux can be unstable.

Let's just say a Linux savvy admin is going to be very
very skeptical of a windows advocate making wild claims
that "linux always crashes", because it flies in the face
of experience.

> Likewise, I know that Windows NT *CAN* be unstable, but I also know that it
> *CAN* be very stable if you know what you're doing.  Windows 2000 is just
> stable period.

Well apparently windows 200 is a bit more stable than
the old windows nt, which you microsoft zealots BTW
claimed was as stable as anything out there.

> > zdnet did a year long test of windows nt and linux, running
> > their office server tasks. In one year the Linux servers did
> > not crash once. the windows nt servers crashed 13 times.
>
> Do you have a link to this?

Are you saying you weren't aware of it? I don't remember
the URL, just the study, but I'll bet google would help you
find it.

> Gee, if your server needs to be rebooted nightly, yet zdnet only had
> problems (according to you) once a month, why is that?

The zdnet test was not running the same apps -

> > No, it proves that windows trolls are willing to say anything
> > to try to discredit those OSes that they see as a threat.
>
> Look.  I use NT and 2000 daily for software development.  I put my machines
> through hell, and routinely go months without rebooting.  Occasionally I do
> have a crash, but this is because i'm doing driver development.

I work in an office full of folks who use windows nt & 2000, and it
has it's share of crashes, lockups, and instability.

> My Linux machines are pretty stable as well in most cases, but I've had
> Netscape lock them up tighter than a drum (Even the keyboard interrupts were
> not responding).  It wasn't just X locked up, because I couldn't telnet in
> and the web server was not responding.

That's bizzare, I'd holler to my vendor long, loud and hard about
that one - do you have a hardware support contract for the
system in question? What distro and kernel? What kind of
hardware?

> It is a fact that all OS's can be unstable in the right circumstances.
> Period.

To state it more correctly, for any OS there is a non-zero
probability of trouble, but the thing you miss is that windows
track record is probably the worst of all OSes.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 18:28:06 -0700

> You would have seen that some of them list no uptimes at all at netcraft,
> thus the list is bogus.

Truly, any list could be bogus, but we now know (thanks to your detective
work) that only 40% of the sites in that list actually qualified to be in
that list (the other 60% for one reason or another, are neither incorrect
nor correct, though I do know for a fact that at one time 100% were correct,
as it was my list).  But still even if you had 100% of the "incorrect" sites
listed, you'd still have 0 incorrect sites.

Adam Ruth

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX SYSTEM MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE??? Please Help
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:30:24 GMT

Andres Soolo wrote:

> J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Nope, don't know of any shareware for Linux...
> Shareware for Linux does exist.  It's just not common.
> xv should be shareware, and the XEvil game has also been shareware up
> to recently.

I think xv may have been "shareware" in 1993, but I thought
the license had been fixed by now.

xevil is shareware?

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you install KDE in Redhat6.0?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:34:29 GMT

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Better yet, avoid Redhat at all costs!  I have used Redhat on several
> occasions, are the best two distro's I have found are Mandrake and SuSE
> Linux esp. for newbies.

All distros have their place. There is a lot of jealousy against
Red Hat, but I find that their product works best for me.

I started out with SLS in 1993, then switched to slack.
I stayed with slack until 1997, then switched to Red Hat.

I've tried Caldera, it's not bad, just different.
Suse is high quality, in some respects the best.
mandrake & turbo are just Red Hat derivatives.

Mandrake would probably be a good choice for a
workstation system, but Red Hat just works out
better for me.

jjs

--
Running kernel 2.4.0-prerelease on Red Hat 7