From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX, OF COURSE!!
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:09:56 -0500

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Cihl wrote:
> > To quote Bill Murray in Ghostbusters:
> >
> > "I don't have to take this abuse from you! I've got plenty of people
> > waiting to abuse me!"
>
> Wow, and I didn't think anybody would get the joke I intended with that
> post.
>
> For the most part I probably just managed to piss of a few people.
> Occassionally even a self-professed seriou thinker needs to stretch the
> humor are of his brain.  I probably didn't do a good job though.

Jesus, tough day I guess, let me re-write that and spell correctly:

Wow, and I didn't think anybody would get the joke I intended with that
post.

For the most part I probably just managed to piss off a few people.
Occassionally even a self-professed serious thinker needs to stretch the
humor area of his brain.  I probably didn't do a good job though.

Sorry about the original response.  (I don't want people to start
thinking I'm getting whatever disease has TIMMAY! firmly in its grasp.)

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:35:31 -0400

Perry Pip wrote:

> >> The specific railroad we are discussing in this thread is the
> >> transcontinental route from the Midwest to Seattle. This was built by
> >> the Northern Pacific Railroad Company which was chartered in 1864. It
> >> was later merged with Chicago, Burlington & Quincy.
>
> >> See http://www.bnsf.com/about_bnsf/html/history.html
>                   ^^^^                     ^^^^^^^
> >> Perry
> >
> >No, it was the Great Northern.
> >

> The Northern Pacific was the *first* transcontinental to the Seatle
> area and was eventually merged with Burlington. The Great Northern,
> which was also transcontinental, also eventually merged with
> Burlington was built years later. Hence it benifitted from the lessens
> learned of the previous transcontinental railroads, and the fact that
> the areas were already more ecomically developed because of the first
> Seattle railroad.  It's always alot easier to be second than it is to
> be first when you are talking about feats of engineering. And in the
> case of transcontinentals, Great Northern was more like fifth. If you
> are basing your argument on the Great Northern, then your are missing
> the fact the I am talking about investing in new technologies, not
> general economic development. It's when something has never been done
> before when up front costs are the highest, and when private investors
> are the most afraid.

I was only claiming that a private firm could have done it.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Incorporated Linux User Groups?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:29:57 -0500

Just curious,  How many Linux User Groups are incoporated entities in
the World?

This is just a simple question for my curiosity.  I will offer no other
commentaries about this subject.

------------------------------

From: bob@nospam
Subject: news: IBM Develops Prototype of Wrist Watch Running Linux
Date: 7 Aug 2000 12:07:23 -0700

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000807/tc/tech_ibm_dc_1.html

"                  Monday August 7 8:57 AM ET
                  IBM Develops Prototype of Wrist Watch
                  Running Linux

                  NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines
                  Corp. (NYSE:IBM - news) said on Monday that researchers
                  are running the Linux operating system on a prototype
                  wristwatch device, in a research test designed to show that
Linux can be used as the basic software on the smallest devices.

                  ``Designed to communicate wirelessly with PCs, cell phones
                  and other wireless-enabled devices, the 'smart watch' will
                  have the ability to view condensed email messages and directly
                  receive pager-like messages,'' IBM said in a statement.

                  However, IBM does not have plans to commercialize the Linux
                  watch itself, a spokeswoman said.

                  ``This is just research prototype,'' said Takako Yamakura.
                  ''Some say Linux cannot be scaled down. This is just to show
                  Linux is capable of doing this.''

                  The Linux operating system is seen as an alternative to
 Microsoft Corp.'s
                  (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news) Windows operating system, and is
 popular with programmers
                  for its open source code, which allows programmers to develop
 and tinker with programs.

                  ``Several benefits accrue from the use of Linux in small
 pervasive devices,'' IBM said in
                  the statement. ``The availability of source code and a
 well-understood application
                  programming environment makes it easy for students,
 researchers, and software
                  companies to add new features and develop applications.''

                  Linux, which was developed by Finnish programmer Linus
 Torvalds, is used for many
                  basic functions of Web sites, but is not yet considered mature
 enough for heavier business
                  tasks. IBM has been working to develop the system for
 everything from the wrist watch to
                  supercomputers.

                  ``With Linux rapidly becoming an industry standard, it's
 important that developers be able
                  to create new applications across all platforms, including
 pervasive devices, and the intent
                  of IBM's research is to further that work,'' IBM said. "

From: "Lennart Gahm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:00:48 GMT

On 07 Aug 2000 14:16:05 GMT, Jim wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Lennart
>Gahm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:07:28 GMT, ZnU wrote:
>>
>> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Microsoft has found to be a predatory monopoly. If that's what the vast
>> >conspiracy was after, it worked pretty well.

>> >Not a chance. Unless of course Microsoft buys off the Bush
>> >administration. Even then, Microsoft would still in trouble with the EU.
>>
>> EU has a different angle on this, if EU founds MS guilty of violating
>> EU laws, MS will most likely end up to pay 10% of its renewal. This
>> is regardless of the outcome in USA. So far, MS defence seems to be
>> to accuse SUN for wanting access to its "business secrets". Lennart
>
>"Renewal?" Details, please!
>--
>Jim Naylor
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well i found this information on a swedish site
http://nyheter.idg.se/display.pl?ID=000803-CS20
>From that site, at the end:

"Nu har Microsoft två månader på sig att svara på
anklagelserna. Om inte mjukvarujätten lyckas leva
upp till EUs krav kan företaget bli tvunget att
betala ett skadestånd som motsvarar tio procent
av företagets omsättning,
enligt CNN."

Ruff translation:
Now Microsoft has two month to answer the accusation.
If the software-gigant fail to live up to EUs demand
than the company can be forced to pay a damages
corresponding to ten percent of the companys renewal,
according to CNN.

According to my Swedihs-English dictionary, the Swedish
word "omsättning" means "sales", "renewal" or "turnover".
If they had meant profit, they should have used the
swedish word "vinst".
Lennart

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does VB and SQL work under linux?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:10:18 -0400

Christopher Browne wrote:

> >> All LIE-nux have is MY-SQL, which is like a MS-SQL Jr.
> >
> >There's also Oracle, though most distros don't include it.
>
> Don't bother feeding the troll.

Perhaps I respond to the Spellmaster (Tim Palmer) too much,
but sometimes I can't let his claims go unanswered.

> An _honest_ answer would be that the only "top tier" SQL DBMS that _isn't_
> available on Linux is Microsoft's version of Sybase.

Thanks.

> DB/2, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, all are available, and that's just the
> "top tier" of "high premium, high priced" DBMSes.
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html>
> Rules of the Evil Overlord #63. "Bulk trash will be disposed of in
> incinerators, not compactors. And they will be kept hot, with none of
> that nonsense about flames going through accessible tunnels at
> predictable intervals." <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

Can we have razor-sharp grates in the tunnels, too?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux can save you money on electricity!
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:14:12 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>VT-100 terminnal, you know!

> >> Yes. People want to run Ofice, and they nead a GUI for it not a crappey VT-100.
> >>

> >And why do they want to run Office?
> >

> Because it gets there wokr done. VI just doesant due the job.

Well, I wouldn't know. I use Emacs. Does MS Word have support
for TeX and C source files?

> >But there are no dumb UNIX commands.
> >

> Yes their is. Their all dum.

They are not as dumb as your spelling.

> >> In Windo's you don't half to force it works through the GUI.
> >
> >Or fails to work through the GUI.
>
> UNIX just fales to work. The user has too due al the work.

No, the sysadmin has to do the work.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Anthony D. Tribelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can Linux use be so low? I do not believe it. web traffic.
Date: 7 Aug 2000 20:18:21 GMT

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Anthony D. Tribelli" wrote:
>> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > The problem with statistics is that it is very hard to know what you are
>> > measuring.
>> >
>> > The counter seems to take its information from a subscription counter
>> > box one puts on their website. This means that only small time web sites
>> > on crappy ISPs would use it. Upscale websites implement their own
>> > counter. Decent ISPs provide counter mechanisms for clients.
>> >
>> > So we are talking about traffic to a narrowly defined group of web
>> > sites. The group being defined as very limited web pages on low end ISPs
>> > or web providers.
>> >
>> > Does the traffic in this segment of the web represent the traffic on the
>> > whole? I don't know, but I would opine not.
>>
>> I suspect it is much closer to reality than you suggest. At least in
>> measuring a "consumer" type audience. After all it also shows Mac users at
>> about 2.3% of Win9x users. It is very plausible that Linux is still mainly
>> of interest to students, hackers, peoples with servers, scientists,
>> engineers, and other who are inherently drawn to Unix; that it is not of
>> much interest to the general computer user.
>
> And the sites that were used for the stats are of much interest to the
> general computer user?  Using the sites already mentioned by another
> poster ( britney spears, etc.) to prove that theory would not be wise as
> I assure you even though she may be popular the average computer user
> isn't interested. Remember that she is for the most part an American
> icon and most foreigners woudln't know too much about her therefore that
> average computer user probably wouldn't as computers are used around the
> world.  The actual content of the websites used may fall along the lines
> of britney and may not be as well known as you think and therefore not
> well visited.

I think the earlier poster was combining humor and sarcasm and had not
done an anaylsis of sites being visited.

Tony
==================
Tony Tribelli

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux or Windows 2000 ????
Date: 07 Aug 2000 12:54:11 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Ginn) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >While I don't necessarily agree with 'orders of magnitude' statement,
> >Linux certainly runs on more architectures than Windows does.  You
> >can't run Windows (insert version) on Alpha, PPC, Sparc, MIPS, or make
> >use of any of the components on those platforms using Windows.
> >Linux can, and that's certainly more impressive, and more important,
> >than whether or not Linux can use every single soundcard on the x86
> >platform.
> >
> >You certainly seem to have a PC bias, Pete.  There are other
> >alternatives you know.
>
> Other _expensive_ alternatives. How much does it cost to buy an Alpha? Or a
> Sparc or MIPS? PPC might be cheap enough.

So, you get what you pay for.  x86 is cheap, but it's got a lot of
problems compared to every other architecture I listed.  If you want
quality, you're going to have to shell over a few bones to get it.

OTOH, if I do have the cash to run one of these, there's no way to get
any form of Windows to run on them.  That is where Windows (insert
version) falls way short.

I'm typing this on a Sparc Ultra 60 with 2GB of RAM and three CPUs.
This machine is heads and tails above anything that you've probably
got available.  It's currently running Solaris, but if I want to put
in the effort, I can get Linux to run on it run on it.  No matter how
much effort I put into it, Windows (insert version) can't run on it

Game.  Set.  Match.

> I wasn't referring to architectures, I was referring to peripherals.

No, you were referring to _x86_ peripherals.  Who cares whether or not
every single sound card under the sun runs under Linux?  How many
sound cards do you need on a single system?  Pick one that works and
stick with it.  You've already stated that your SB16 works.  So what
exactly is your gripe?  So what if you had to edit a couple of files
to get the thing to work.  If you aren't willing to tinker a little
bit, you shouldn't be running Linux.

What is your point anyway?

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was- Another      one
 of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: 7 Aug 2000 20:22:18 GMT

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:01:54 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Matt Kennel wrote:

:> On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:03:37 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :The Supreme Court is just a collection of people, some of whom
:> :care not the slightest for what the Constitution means, in
:> :preference for how they can distort the words to their own
:> :statist ideals.

:> :If the Supreme Court rules that "The pursuit of happiness" justifies
:> :rape, would that make it so?

:> :Obviously not.

Of course not.

:> :Thus, it is evident that the SC is not the ultimate bearer of truth,
:> :but merely yet another political body, which can hand down any
:> :sort of nonsense which they so choose.

:> The Constitutional Convention was another political body which handed
:> down some sort of nonsense that they chose.
:
:The Constitution didn't have ANY meaning until AFTER ratification
:by all of the states.

which are also political bodies.

There is no escaping human judgement, even in the judiciary.
Realistically the Supreme court decides cases with forethought and
gravity even if they can be wrong and mistaken --- by other people's
political and personal and moral views.

What else can you do?   Moses seems to be permanently unavailable for service.

:Remember, the boat that Elian Gonzales was on.  yes, even in
:1999, people DIED trying to escape a communist country to reach
:our system of individual liberty and (partial) capitalism.

yes.

but that means what for the Supreme Court?

--
*        Matthew B. Kennel/Institute for Nonlinear Science, UCSD
*

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:24:12 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> >> EMACS are fucked up.
> >Where's the proof that it is so and it makes Emacs unsuitable for writing
> >Pascal interpreters?
>
> EMACS nead a key that isn't even on the keybord.

Use the alt key.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: 7 Aug 2000 20:34:05 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:34:45 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Loren Petrich wrote:
:>
:> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:> MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >On 3 Aug 2000 17:33:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:
:>
:> >>      However, SS has been remarkably efficient at improving the
:> >>standard of living of the elderly.
:> >However, SS has negative return for most of people taking part in
:> >it.
:>
:>         Tell that to those who claim that SS is about to go broke. If it
:> has such poor returns, it would not be going broke.
:
:Compared to the stock market, SS is an absolute shithole.

True but that's because your social security payment is both investment
and a whole lot of insurance.  If you think it were all going to investment
then of course it is a bum deal, and thus for people who are unlikely to
end up 1) very poor 2) disabled 3) poor spouses who didn't work  {the primary
categories of insurance paid by SS} they will obviously get less than if
they had been able to keep the money.

Even separating that out, it is a semi-bum deal.

:This is why people my age are absolutely enraged by the whole
:situation.  They're stealing money from us because a bunch of
:dumb-ass senior ran to the polls in a dizzy spree, more eager
:than ever to get their "free lunch" without ever bothering to
:see where the hell the money was coming from, or going, and
:what the hell Congress has been doing all these years.

Right, the ability to pass taxes and effectively raise benefits starting
immediately for recipients now, regardless of sound demographic and actuarial
principles is the core of the clusterufck.   The fact that taxes only fall
on wage earners (in contrast to people who earn via capital) is another
silly anomaly.

The reason of course is that rich old-people have overwhelmingly the most
power.

Since the stock market is in effect a proxy for GDP, really broad based
taxation is a similar way (macroeconomically) to get at the same effect as
selling off stock to pay for benefits.

The critical problem is of course the worker/benefit ratio.

The only legitimate solution is to reduce benefits (increase
retirement age) proportionally to keep the ratio stable.

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm curious
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:49:24 GMT

Robert Moir wrote:

> "Cihl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
> > --
> >      You have changed the signature included in your e-mail.
> > For these changes to take effect, you must restart your computer!
> >           Do you wish to restart your computer now?
> >                       [YES]    [NO]
>
> ^^^^ And to think people say that Linux is better than Windows NT because it
> doesn't need restarting all the time...
>
> ;-)

Well, Linux really doesn't need restarting all the time, but if you
want to, you can do it as often as you like. It all depends on your
kernel-compiling habits. You don't -have- to recompile the kernel, but
some people do it anyway, because it makes the screen look interesting
when people pass by. :P

Does Windows still need restarting/upgrade when you install IE or
Office? It is, or was, weird. They are just programs, aren't they? :-/

Hey, how about this one. :-)
--
 The right mouse button has succesfully produced a pop-up menu.

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Aug 2000 20:51:11 GMT

Gahm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 07 Aug 2000 14:16:05 GMT, Jim wrote:
>
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Lennart
> >Gahm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> EU has a different angle on this, if EU founds MS guilty of violating
> >> EU laws, MS will most likely end up to pay 10% of its renewal. This
> >> is regardless of the outcome in USA. So far, MS defence seems to be
> >> to accuse SUN for wanting access to its "business secrets". Lennart
> >
> >"Renewal?" Details, please!
> >--
> >Jim Naylor
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Well i found this information on a swedish site
> http://nyheter.idg.se/display.pl?ID=000803-CS20
> From that site, at the end:
>
> "Nu har Microsoft två månader på sig att svara på
> anklagelserna. Om inte mjukvarujätten lyckas leva
> upp till EUs krav kan företaget bli tvunget att
> betala ett skadestånd som motsvarar tio procent
> av företagets omsättning,
> enligt CNN."
>
> Ruff translation:
> Now Microsoft has two month to answer the accusation.
> If the software-gigant fail to live up to EUs demand
> than the company can be forced to pay a damages
> corresponding to ten percent of the companys renewal,
> according to CNN.
>
> According to my Swedihs-English dictionary, the Swedish
> word "omsättning" means "sales", "renewal" or "turnover".
> If they had meant profit, they should have used the
> swedish word "vinst".
> Lennart

Thanks, Lennart. Sounds good to me!

--
Jim Naylor

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was-
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:50:39 -0400

SemiScholar wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:43:06 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >SemiScholar wrote:

> >> Well, I think we can agree that the human beings on the court do not
> >> give up their opinions, philosophies and biases when they put on the
> >> robes.  I theory they are supposed to, but I think we can agree that
> >> they don't.  And I think it's probably impossible for them to do so.
> >> They are, after all, only human.
> >

> >Thus, they are a political body
>
> Jeeze, by that definition, _every_ human endeavor is "political", and
> therefore _no_ human endeavor is "political".

wrong.  If I go for a hike in the woods, and mind my own business,
and don't bother anybody, there's nothing political about it
(other than LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!)

Politics is derived from the same root-word as "polite"

You do the math.

> - SemiScholar
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.