Linux-Advocacy Digest #291, Volume #28            Mon, 7 Aug 00 21:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish.....
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Loren Petrich)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Loren Petrich)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Loren Petrich)
  Re: Paging BIG DON (Loren Petrich)
  Re: Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish..... (Black Dragon)
  Re: Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish..... (Mike Marion)
  Re: Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish.....
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (Inkswamp)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:34:32 -0400

MK wrote:

> >>No, you are debating with the false-dilemma error. It's not either or.
>
> >       I personally think that anarchism is a utopian pipedream.
>
> You, personally, seem not to be able to put one coherent thought based
> on facts, so I don't think your opinion matters for anything.

A very profound, concise summarization of Loren...

> MK
>
> ---
>
> The fundamental practice of politics is creating ideology of a noble goal that
>justifies theft.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:35:32 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On 6 Aug 2000 08:10:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:
>
> >>      I personally think that anarchism is a utopian pipedream.
> >You, personally, seem not to be able to put one coherent thought based
> >on facts, so I don't think your opinion matters for anything.
>
>         How are Larry Ellison's dumpster-diving lessons coming along?

What does that have to do with whether or not a Communist-controlled
NEA deliberately seeds to keep the kids uneducated?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish.....
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:44:42 GMT

Read it and weep Linux Nerds....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/news/promopricing.asp

Just to rub salt in the wounds, as if you don't have any wounds,
Staples in Bennington VT had Mandrake 7.1 for $59.95 on an end cap,
hidden from view (all the while 7.0 was in plain sight guess they
wanted to get rid of the 20 boxes or so of 7.0 before they even tried
to sell 7.1). Both shelves had quite a bit of dust on them, and when a
sales lady asked me if needed help, I asked her if they sold a lot of
Linux products and she said nope.
I asked her if she knew what Linux was and she also said "nope" so
maybe there is a pattern developing.

Anyway, I picked up Mandrake 7.1 full on my corporate credit card and
left.
The review is in another post.
The short story is, Linux is true to form in it's collection of
useless garbage and has absolutely no curb appeal to a normal,
non-nerd user.

Sure you can get Linux for free, but let's face it, you folks can't
even give Linux away and gain market share.

Ah yes, "The Times They are A Changin' ".

Microsoft is going to put the last nails in the Linux coffin real soon
now. Good news too because Linux is so cryptic, and 70's like it is
akin to going back in time to when computing was actually a pain in
the ass.

Do yourself a favor and try Windows 2k or SE or ME because Linux is
for the nerds.

Claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action    (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: 7 Aug 2000 23:49:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>>         No, I support what I consider the lesser of two evils of major
>> parties.
>Translation:  Given an option of picking from
>Evil A
>Evil B
>Good C
>Good D
>Mediocre E
>Loren opts for Evil.

        OK, let's see:

        Mr. Kulkis decides to vote for the Libertarian Party's candidate
instead of George W. Bush.

        As a result, that's one more vote for Al Gore.

>>             And I will keep on doing that until the electoral laws are
>After all, fat-boy can't afford to miss dinner

        Why do you think I'm just like Rush Limbaugh?
--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 7 Aug 2000 23:52:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What does that have to do with whether or not a Communist-controlled
>NEA deliberately seeds to keep the kids uneducated?

        There you go again.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 7 Aug 2000 23:54:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

>> seems to me that government will likely re-appear, though maybe under
>> some other name. Read "Animal Farm" to see what I mean.

>You mean that book about the hypocrisy of Communism....
>heh ehhe hehh

        Laugh all you want; I think it's an excellent book.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,soc.culture.african.american,sci.anthropology
Subject: Re: Paging BIG DON
Date: 8 Aug 2000 00:10:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Loren Petrich wrote:

[divorce: women stabbing men in the back...]
>>         Evidence other than Mr. Kulkis's posture of victimhood: {}
>I'm not divorced.  I would never be so fooooolish as to marry
>any woman born and raised in this nation.

        I feel sorry for Mr. Kulkis that he cannot expect to have a
friendly relationship with any member of the opposite sex.

>> >How about living an entire life in rat-and-cockroach-infested
>> >dwellings that can only be considered firetraps.
>> >Their entire lives are nothing but misery.
>>      But how are they getting such big loads of money if that is the case?
>In case you haven't noticed, it doesn't help them.

        For welfare recipients to be a big drain of tax money, they must
have 10 times the average income. Sheesh.

>>         I sense a sort of vindictiveness about this, something that makes
>> think that Mr. Kulkis is a big fan of Soviet gulags.
>Wrong.  There is a fundamental difference.

>The gulags are for POLITICAL prisoners.  My idea is for economic
>deadbeats....who are freed upon paying their back taxes...which
>they will earn while under state custody.

        And how will these back taxes be assessed? Given Mr. Kulkis's
vindictive mentality, they will probably be 10*normal, meaning that these
people will never be able to pay off those taxes.

>> >That's because the Communists are engaged in a specific campaign
>> >to NEUTER the United States through internal collapse. ...
>>         From a grove of birch trees it came...
>And of course, the knee-jerk response whenever I hit upon
>yet another uncomfortable truth.

        That remark is simply a way of indicating what idiocy such claims are.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:16:18 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:44:42 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:

[ a whole lot of absolutly nothing ]

>Claire

Hi Steve.

--
Black Dragon

"Trying to make the Internet a better place, one Linux box at a time."

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:20:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just to rub salt in the wounds, as if you don't have any wounds,
> Staples in Bennington VT had Mandrake 7.1 for $59.95 on an end cap,

Yeah, Staples is the place everyone goes for their software... right.

> Do yourself a favor and try Windows 2k or SE or ME because Linux is
> for the nerds.

I have, it's for shit.  If I install 2k on my home box and install the
driver (I can install the released stable driver, the beta driver, or
the Nvidia detonator driver) for my Geforce card.. 2k won't boot into
normal mode!  Even if it's the _only_ driver I install, and if I boot
into Safe Mode (which takes freaking forever) and remove the driver.. it
still won't boot to Normal Mode.  If I change video cards (it works fine
in 98 and Linux BTW) I can boot, and if I install the drivers for my
Hauppage TV card, and my Hollywood Plus DVD card... BSOD on boot...
--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
"Thanks for inquiring, the spell chicker works fine." --Computer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:23:15 GMT

WTF are you talking about?

You a homo or something?

Claire

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:24:01 -0400

Said Gary Hallock in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>> Thank you for yet another tiresome repetition of what I already know.
>> Now try to shake the cobwebs out of your skull and *listen*.  Nothing
>> you have said has in any way *defined* either "bit", though they have
>> (yet again) _described_ them in a way I recognize and agree with.  Now
>> WHAT ARE THEY?  Sure I can read the man page available at
>> http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/cgi-bin/man-cgi but so can you, and
>> supposedly you'd understand more of what might be cogent to my
>> confusion.
>
>Hu??? Could you please explain the above paragraph?   I just explained the sticky and
>suid bits and this was definitely different from your description of the sticky bit.
>So obviously it was not what you already knew.   What more information do you want?
>Do you want to know the syntax of chmod?   Ok, here it is.  To set the suid bit:
   [...]
>Or are you having difficulty understanding the concept of associating attributes with
>files?

Christ.  I'm getting a headache.

No, I don't want to know the syntax of chmod.  I want to know the
*representation of the bits* as affected by chmod.

Permissions, Gary.  Post the permissions as they are displayed to a user
of Unix examining permissions of a file who wanted to examine the sticky
bit and the suid bit.  A rudimentary description of their
representation, or perhaps even a representation of what they "look"
like would enable me to get an answer to the question "what are they?"
that makes sense to me and is not confused with "how do I change them"
or "what do they do".

I recognize that the question "what are they?" is somewhat ambiguous,
and that you are, indeed, trying to explain them in your own fashion.
I'll also agree that, as has happened in the past, I'm harrying you less
for the information itself (which I could dig up myself, with less
effort than I've expended trying to get the answer given to me, if it
were important) than to while away the hours and try to encourage clear
and convenient communication.  You don't seem to understand that without
being able to know what "bits" you're talking about, the (for the fourth
time, well known and understood) fact that chmod is the command used in
Unix to set these bits, along with all of the other 'permissions', is
not informational.  You seem to be having difficulty understanding the
concept of *associating* something conceptually to begin with, if you'll
forgive me for saying so.  I know what the bits are, now I'm trying to
associate them with what chmod does.  Get it?

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: Inkswamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 18:14:33 -0700

> Yep...Linux is a dismal failure as far as the average desktop, non
> nerd person is concerned.

Define failure. Oh, do you mean it fails to draw the big mindless herd
of computer users to its side who don't realize that there are other
alternatives out there? I gather that's what you Windows types define
as failure in terms of OS. The Mac OS user base could be brought all
the way down to 1 user and I would still not define the Mac OS as a
failure.

> If Gates were giving away Windows at the local computer shop or on the
> net you wouldn't even be able to get near the place.

Sadly, the mindless herd usually loves its freebies. History backs this
up--the mindless herd usually isn't that interested in finer quality.
They want quantity and they want it now.

> >No one WANTS an alternative to Windows therefore there is no market for one.

I present myself as evidence to the contrary. I want an alternative to
Windows. I have disproven your generalization (not too difficult to do)
so the rest of your post is probably hogwash as well.

> >There are plenty of alternatives and has been for QUITE a while. As is
> >proven by the fact that Linux can't even be GIVEN away.

I doubt anyone on the Linux platform ever expected it to achieve the
kind of user base that Windows has. I know one user who told me he
wouldn't dream of ever introducing his grandmother to Linux, and is
happy to keep her on Windows. And who cares? The mere fact that you
feel threatened enough to issue a public dismissal of Linux is proof
enough of its success.

Again, here's the formula for you Windows users to memorize, maybe
write it 100 times:

                   OS success!=mass acceptance

Why is it this concept can't get through this MS-induced haze you
Windows users perpetually exist in?

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:27:35 -0400

Said Christopher Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8mmj5u$4ct$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> > How wonderfully informative of you to say so.  Has anybody else ever
>> > noticed a certain reticence in Unix people to be a little cheerfully
>> > courteous in providing conversational understanding?
>>
>> Have you noticed that every time someone says you are wrong you resort
>> to invective against this mythical "unix people"?
>
>Hey, don't go stealing all the thunder :P.  When *anyone* tells Max he's
>wrong, he eventually resorts to invective against whoever they are, no
>matter how much patience they might show.

That is patently, even ludicrously, untrue.  As is the illusion that
Roberto presented.  I am gracious and courteous in response to people
who are gracious and courteous in response.  Those that provide
information, like Roberto, might get insulted should they not be
gracious and courteous as well as informative.  Those that don't, like
Christopher Smith, are gratuitously ridiculed as trolls.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:29:21 -0400

Said void in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 18:46:29 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>>
>>>Go to the nearest unixy system, and do a man chmod, please!
>>
>>Sorry, I've already done that at least seven dozen times in my career,
>>and didn't see anything then that caused me to recognize my error, so I
>>doubt I'd see it now, even if I were to spend the time reviewing a man
>>page for no practical purpose, which I'm afraid I'm not willing to do.
>
>Let me get this straight.
>
>Did you read the man page seven dozen times, or did you type "man chmod"
>seven dozen times?
>
>If you read it seven dozen times, how come you don't understand it?
>And if you didn't read it, why not?  (This should be really good.  I
>bet anyone ten dollars that he'll say the problem's with the man page.)

Because those seven dozen times were spread out over seven years of
using Unix intermittently, and the majority of them were to look for a
specific piece of information which was not related to the issue under
discussion.

Can I get my ten dollars now?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:29:19 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:20:05 GMT, Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Just to rub salt in the wounds, as if you don't have any wounds,
>> Staples in Bennington VT had Mandrake 7.1 for $59.95 on an end cap,
>
>Yeah, Staples is the place everyone goes for their software... right.

Normal people do.

Where do nerds go?

>> Do yourself a favor and try Windows 2k or SE or ME because Linux is
>> for the nerds.
>
>I have, it's for shit.  If I install 2k on my home box and install the
>driver (I can install the released stable driver, the beta driver, or
>the Nvidia detonator driver) for my Geforce card.. 2k won't boot into
>normal mode!  Even if it's the _only_ driver I install, and if I boot
>into Safe Mode (which takes freaking forever) and remove the driver.. it
>still won't boot to Normal Mode.  If I change video cards (it works fine
>in 98 and Linux BTW) I can boot, and if I install the drivers for my
>Hauppage TV card, and my Hollywood Plus DVD card... BSOD on boot...

Yea and if you try to use anything BUT a SCSI scanner on Linux it
dies. Same goes for high end sound cards, high end video cards and USB
devices.
Shit same goes for everyday soundcards... Talk to Pete Goodwin about
that one.

Linux just sucks...

It's a collection, a garbage collection, of junk, that nobody wants.

Who the hell needs 15 different editors? Or 10 dialup programs? Or 5
different ways to change your monitor resolution (none of which work
BTW).

A collection of raw sewerage is Linux.....

The people have spoken, largely by ignoring Linux, even though it is
free.

Give it up dude, you have lost before you have even begun.

Oh yea....If you are into high end video and audio you would be better
off with Win98se instead of 2k...

Windows 2k is more of a biz server application....But I suspect you
knew that already.....Try the same thing under 98SE and see what
happens.....

Claire

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:27:33 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Read it and weep Linux Nerds....
>
> Do yourself a favor and try Windows 2k or SE or ME because Linux is
> for the nerds.

Hello Simon, just how many aliases are you now up to?

Deadpenguin by any other name would post the same.