From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:08:13 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : And apache doesn't take advantage of anything on Unix?
>
> You mean other than the fact that Unix spawns processes quickly

AND context-switches much faster as well...

> enough that there's no point in wasting time coding for threads
> like IIS has to?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: I WANT WIN2k drivers!
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:11:41 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Quantum Leaper wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> disappointed.

> > > Aztech

> harped
> > > upon

> > > Also if
> TRY,
> > > which
> > > driver

> > > doesn't
> very
> > > buggy.

> > > Your right, considering Window 2K does support Aztech sound cards,  I
> > > checked.

> > > Considering Windows 2K does have driver for Aztech sound cards....
> >
> > Top borrow a favorie line from Losedows advocates:  Who needs that?
> >

> I guess ANSWERING the person question was the wrong way to go....   Your
> right who need Linux!  BTW like I said before Aztech sounds are just alittle
> bit better than Zoltrax sound card,  which my friend couldn't get to work

</MS-LoseDOS advocacy>

Why would you deal with such inferior crap?

Anybody with a brain buys only SoundBlaster.  Who the fuck needs choice?

> under ANY OS,  Windows, Linux and others.
>
> BTW I believe every OS has it place.

really.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:22:35 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8v11sm$3k4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Not by default.
> >
> > What?  "default"?  Chad, youve never even SEEN HP/UX.  Stop pretending
> > you have; you're making yourself look extremely foolish.
>
> If I were to buy an HP server with HPUX on it, would it come with
> ACLs as the default security implementation? Would the filesystem

There is no "default security implementation" on HP-UX.

YOU SELECT your security level during installation.

> on which most of the OS ran (where the root partition was mounted)
> have ACLs, or is it just supported mildly for special circumstances?
>
> It appears, HFS is the only filesystem which supports ACLs according
> to a few IT Help Forum on HP's site, is this correct? It also appears
> that the newest version of JFS for HP-UX 11 (JFS 3.3) now supports
> ACLs.
>
> Is DAC an overridding security principle in HP-UX, or is ACLs just
> a token gesture in an attempt to modernize Unix security?
>
> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:26:26 GMT

Ha! Ha!  There goes CM again!

Are we a mainframe Systems Administrator this week Chad?

Isn't it a little too soon to be leaving that Oracle DBA
spot you were in just 3 months ago?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS stability
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:28:45 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:31:34 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Stuart Fox wrote:

> >> Oil

> >> Whoosh!
> >>
> >> What was that?
> >>
> >> Just another analogy shooting over Matt's head...
> >
> >What part of a computer needs regular maitenance, exactly?
>
> Well, the hardware might need an occasional dusting -- blow it
> out with a non-static dry air can, for example.  (I'm not sure
> what the "official term" is, but they're available at electronics
> stores such as Fry's in my area; all they do is blow dry compressed
> air or nitrogen, I'm not quite sure which.)  That way, heat
> buildup is reduced -- dust is too good an insulator to leave
> lying around. :-)  I might consider doing this once a year --
> although I for one seem never to do it anyway.  There are
> some issues that may modify this timeline; in particular, if
> one lives in an extremely dusty area, or uses a HEPA air filter
> in one's lab, the time between dustings may be reduced or
> increased accordingly.

This can be done with the system up and running.

> Also, the usual crud such as cleaning out /tmp and /var/tmp
> occasionally -- while not strictly necessary, it's interesting

Done every day or week by cron--no need take the machine down.

> what goop collects there after awhile -- and perhaps backing up
> and rotating the logs in /var/log.  One might also go

Done every day or week by cron--no need take the machine down.

> core file hunting, and of course periodic backups using
> tar, cpio, or pax.  (I happen to use a Syquest Syjet for
> that purpose; I've pretty much given up on DAT tapes.)

Done every day.  No need to take the machine down.

> If one is so inclined, one might periodically verify the MD5
> signatures of some executables ('md5sum --check=wherever') to assure
> that a hacker hasn't played "insert Trojan Horse here".
> One might also do an e2fsck or similar type check on volumes on
> an occasional basis (one has to unmount them first, unfortunately),
> and also update the 'locate' database.

Done whenever the fuck you feel like it...again, no need to
take the machine down.

> If one maintains an innd newsspool, there are additional issues
> which mostly relate to expiring old articles and getting new ones.

None of which necessitate taking the machine down.

> While all this may sound incredibly picky to the average Windows user,
> most of this can be set up in various cron jobs.  In fact,
> updating the 'locate' database is usually already part of
> a standard Linux installation, and innd installation instructions
> include how to set up cron entries for expiration, last I looked
> (it's been awhile).  And of course the md5sum check can be
> shoved into a script and pretty much left there.

precisely.

> Note that none of these absolutely require a shutdown, except
> for verifying the root partition -- but the root partition should

Actually, you can run fsck on a mounted root partition.

> be a small partition anyway (about 100 MB), IMO; /usr, /var and
> /home should be mounted elsewhere.  That way, if something
> goes wrong with the root partition, one can rebuild it and not
> lose all of one's work.  One could even have an emergency backup
> root partition for just such a problem; while it does require
> a reboot, it would allow the root partition to be fixed without
> having it mounted.  (Redhat, and I think Debian as well, just
> do a check to ensure the root partition's integrity; if it fails,
> it mounts it read-only and dumps one into a maintenance login mode
> where one types in the root password and is then expected to issue
> e2fsck manually, or do something even more drastic.)
>
> One might quibble that there's a difference between maintaining
> a computer, and the data and programs that the computer holds.
> I'd have to agree that there is a difference, but I did want
> to at least try to cover all bases.
>
> One might also note that the above is for Linux systems.
> I don't know that much about maintaining Windows systems,
> although I suspect it would be even simpler, except for
> that damned monolithic registry and the absolutely
> brain-dead block allocation scheme used in FAT, VFAT, and
> FAT32 file systems.  (NTFS is merely brain-damaged, and has
> a different set of problems.)  I may never know the

Dain Bramage at Microsoft.... it is required.

> details; I'm not sure I care.  (One nice thing about Win95:
> one can back it up using tar while Linux is running. :-) )
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random answer to rhetorical questions here :-)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:30:42 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Every machine I have worked on for the last several years has been
> > keep powered up continously for years, unless there was a failure
> > on the motherboard.
>
> Wow.  Every machine you've ever worked on has been continuously powered up
> for years.  That's amazing.  You not only completely beat out every
> statistic known to man, but have never applied a kernel patch either.  Ever.
>
> Now we know what kind of an engineer you are.  One that has never done his
> job.

You write this as if you think patching a kernal is like patching
a hole in the hull of a ship, necessitating drydock operations.

Clue for the fucking clueless:

Kernal patches are nothing more than updated kernal source code,
followed by a re-compile.....followed by a reboot.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:33:54 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:48:50 -0600
> <666Q5.8182$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:eT5Q5.20481$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:%G4Q5.8168$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >up
> >> Ever.
> >>
> >> Even if you reboot after a kernel update there is no need to power
> >> cycle the machine.   On unix/linux, you typically do such things
> >> remotely, so who's going to flip the switch back on?  Lots of
> >> machines will power themselves off, but...
> >
> >In the context of this discussion, we're talking about never having to bring
> >down the OS.  That precludes rebooting.
>
> Aaron's statement specifically mentions powering down.  This is a
> weaker statement than never needing to reboot; even an NT box
> that BSOD's need not be powered down to reboot it; one need
> merely press The Button -- of course, it helps if the box which
> has the NT BSOD on its console isn't somewhere in Outer Siberia :-).

Funkendork is alleging that it's necessary to POWER DOWN a computer
for monthly maintenance.

Hell, even in the 1980's, Purdue ECN would keep Vaxes up for 6+ months
straight....with occasional (every other month) time in single user mode
to re-build filesystems to eliminate fragmentation...

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:42:51 +1300

I have a feeling this may be claire lynn and her new identity, or hypothetical/made
up "finding linux hard" user

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows SUX
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:49:50 +1300

I'd like to know who actually changed their OS from UNIX (for Alpha/MIPS/Apple)
considering diddly squat software was ever written for NT that ran on these
processors.
"Nigel Feltham" &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
rate under
New
chip
do I