From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:49:09 +1200

Ignorance must be bliss in the US, hence the reason why so many
groups/nations just want to blow the crap out of the country.

Have you ever been outside the US once? maybe you should realise the world
doesn't stop at the shores of the US.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
however, in New Zealand and Australia
a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)

For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
Seek and ye shall find

news:QXDV6.1683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Fuld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:57:33 GMT

news:JdDV6.13259$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Handley) writes:

> >>The point is not that "all you have to do is copy the material in this
> >>tree from here to there; then copy the scripts that you modified in this
> >>folder; then copy whatever X placed in that folder".
> >>The point is that I have to do anything at all.
> >
> >???  How would you expect the software installed on one machine to
> >migrate to another without doing "anything at all"?
>
> I think in MVS land, it just happens. Add more DASD, add more
> CPUs, take CPUs away, move your entire data center over a pile of
> T3s to a completely new set of hardware, and everything's Just There.
>
> The stuff underneath changes. The OS changes. The Sysplex
> is Eternal ;)
>
> This may be partly wrong, and it certainly glosses over
> configuration details inherent in adding and removing hardware and
> software. Nontheless, the Sysplex IS eternal.
>
> I am more nearly certain that this is true, and relatively
> painless, in AS/400 land.
>
> This does nothing to solve Maynard's problem, but it does
> underline that it can be done. The fact that it isn't done, as far
> as I know, in ANY personally-affordable computing environment is
> a travesty. Shame on the industry.

Wait a minute here.  Let's take a step back.  In response to Maynard's
original question, I pointed out that there are several third party packages
that purport to do pretty much exactly what he wants.  They do this by
"cloning the disk" across any one of several interfaces, after a floppy or a
CD is booted into the new (presumably blank) machine.  Yes, you may have to
fiddle with the drivers for some non standard peripherals, but for the most
part, it is supposed to be painless.  In Maynard's original post, he talked
about his e-mail environment and, if both systems use standard control
modems, this should work easily.  Then someone asked if I had actually done
this.  I haven't, but someone else said they have and it worked pretty well.
We then got off into a whole bunch of Linux stuff and other packages that
don't work and other even less related things, but I believe that Maynard's
original request was answered affirmativly, even if the answer was buried in
other rants :-(.

--
    -  Stephen Fuld

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:33:28 -0400

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan wrote:
>

> > "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Prove they haven't.
> >
> > that is an impossible request.
> >
> > Person1: "The government is hiding UFO information."
> > Person2: "Untrue - prove your claim!"
> > Person1: "Prove they aren't."
> > Person2: "Um, how? How can you prove they aren't? Impossible."
> >
> > Person 2 kills person1 to prevent stupidity from breeding.
> >

> Well, thats your problem. You still have to prove it.

How do you prove a negative?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bigassburger)
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: 13 Jun 2001 00:33:50 -0700

"Pinocchio Poppins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<1ptV6.1280$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...<poke>

MMMMMMmmmmm...Pinocchio......wasn't that the guy that got hard when
lying....poppins....sounds good to me....sssllllurrrrrppp

Bigassburger

8===========D~~~~~~~~<squirt>

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:40:30 +0200

Stephen S. Edwards II wrote in message ...

>> You don't think the Chinese are patriotic? Patriotism is huge over there,
>> haven't you noticed how easily their national pride is dented? Didn't you
>> see all that stuff about the spy-plane?
>
>You're talking about their government.  The people there
>want out of communism.  Remember Tienimen (sp?) Square?

There are certainly many poeple in China who are unhappy with their current
system, but there are many, many more who are quite content with the way the
country is run (don't get me wrong - I am not a supporter of the kind of
repression shown in Tienimen Square).  For the majority of people, in any
country and any political system, people just get on with their lives the
best they can, and don't worry too much about who runs the country.  The
western media is much happier to report on millions of rebellious
pro-democracy Chinese than their are to report on the silent billion who,
while they would obviously like everything to be better, know that the
gradual changes happening in China at the moment are the only sensible way
to go.  Why should your average factory worker or farmer want China to be
capatilist?  It would mean that all the profit from his work will go to some
rich owner living in a mansion some place.  With the communist system, all
the profit goes to the state - and at least some of that money comes back to
him in services like schools and the health service.  No one is ever going
to change the country so that the guy on the factory floor gets the rewards.

>Also, notice how our being steadfast got our men home?
>The spy-plane incident is an example of how great we
>are.  The Chinese government was simply spineless... no

The Chinese were playing carefully with a maniac who could have started a
war if he didn't get things his own way.  The standard, politically
acceptable treatment of caught spies is to shoot them.  Returning the men to
the US was a gesture of good will from the Chinese, although America seems
to think that every other country should treat Americans as holy and
untouchable, so they missed that point.  Insisting on the return of the
plane, however, was petty and provocative - another example of how your
current president is trying to drive international politics a hundred years
into the past.

>wonder they are so afraid of their people.  If the Chinese
>people ever decide to revolt, and bring down their govt.
>you can bet that the U.S. will back them up.  Why?

Oh, like they supported the Russians when communism collapsed their?  The US
(and western Europeans - we are not blameless here either, but the US
certainly led) ignored the people of Russia.  Once they were free of
communism, the US was happy.  They were free to starve, free to die of TB
because of the collapse of the state-run health care, free to freeze in the
winter, free to be robbed and oppressed by the Mafia.  American companies,
however, were quick to take up the challenge of the new free economy, moving
in quickly and bleeding any economic benifits out of the country and back to
good old supportive USA.

>Patriotism, and love for the American way of life.

They did it for the profit.  That is all that is left of the "American way".

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:46:04 -0400

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b265ebd$0$2648$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
> contains no "live" data or links.
> $damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated
and
> contains more diverse types of information?
>
> there is a decision to be made here?

Like I said, I haven't picked up a CD encyclopedia in several years. And
what you describe is the exact sales push that they were given. The old
"$1000 value". The average Joe looks at that and say's HEY! that justifies
almost the whole price of the OEM computer system. But if I'm doing
research, I go to a library which always has at least 5 different
encyclopedia sets, as well as several books on the subject I'm looking up.
The one part of a cd encyclopedia I might have found usefull would have been
the ability to select text and paste it into a text file for later viewing .
(Kind of like copying the pages on the library copy machine), but the CD I
used several years ago made it very hard to export any info. I suppose I
could have taken screen shots, but why should I have to.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:55:41 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> > Then I think you are missing the point...
> >
> > Being patriotic has nothing to do with blindly
> > defending anything.  If you are a patriot, then
> > you have cause to love your country.  If you are
> > not a patriot, then you either don't care, which
> > is the attitude many of the "we must hate and
> > punish ourselves" liberals are, or you simply
> > don't like it here, in which case, you shouldn't
> > stay here, lest you be miserable.
> >
> > > To me, patriotism is "America right or wrong".
> >
> > Again, you are missing the point of patriotism.
> >
> > Tell me, would you feel confident in American
> > defense if our military wasn't patriotic?
> >
> > What if Bush decided to "be nice" to China, instead
> > of threatening that we would show them where we
> > were going to stick those chopsticks of theirs if
> > they didn't exceed to our demands, do you think
> > we would have gotten our men back?
> >
> > The notion that patriotism is a bad thing is a sign
> > of someone who has been spiritually defeated, and
> > I honestly cannot believe that you, assuming you are
> > an American, do not feel some sort of pride in this
> > place.
>
> Why do you pick out China? Maybe during the cold war, the Soviet Union
> (including the eastern block), China, Vietnam, North Korea, with a combined
> standing army of 22million, should have wiped the US off the map. Europe
> would be happy, no more uncultured yanks telling them what to do.
> Britainnia regaining her position in the SUN once again.  Canada happy they
> finally have a quiet neighbour.  Cuba continuing to produce cigars.
> Generally speaking, the world moving on like normal.

Well, yes, except Europe would likely be wiped off of the map too. Long
before the US.

Cuba is free to produce cigars right now. We pretty much leave Canada
alone as far as I know.

Cultured? The French/Germans/Italians are cultured, the British are no
more cultured than the Americans.

> > > Ok it seems we've touched on a hot subject here, just try to see it my
> > > way, and I'm not some horrible commie who wants to burn all American
> > > flags or something.
> >
> > I'll never see it that way, because I'm happy to be who
> > I am.  I'm a proud Yank, and I'll die a proud Yank.  On
> > top of that, I'm a Son of the American Revolution (SAR),
> > so this country's roots flows in my veins, my friend.
>
> Son of the American Revolution (SAR), <== Whining Yanks donot count. New
> Zealand, settled, and treaty of Waitangi signed in 1880's, made a dominion
> in the 1920's. So, for 40 years, we were a colony, and then we gained our
> independence from mother England. Funny, when America gained her
> independence by force, they were one of the last countries to ban slavery,
> even though it was supposedly founded on "freedom" and "equality".

So Kiwis didn't even have the balls to stage a revolution? *snicker*

Hey at least we sent a few thousands of those bastards back in coffins
(they did the same to us).

> > I can't believe that you would seriously advocate that
> > people shouldn't be proud of who they are, and where they
> > come from... do you know what the word is for people who
> > are like that?... defeated.
>
> Yes, proud, but not ignorant of other countries. Too many times I have see
> yanks living a life that is oblivious to the world around them.  For
> example, in High school (ages 13-17 years old) we learnt about the following
> in History:
>
> - Treaty of Waitangi
> - James I, Charles I, II, III, Elizabeth I and Oliver Cromwell
> - Russian Revolution
> - Cold War
> - Chinese revolution and the long march
> - Vietnam
> - American Revolution
> - Germany: Bismark and the creation of the modern german state from the
> Prussian states.
> - First World War
> - Second World War
> - Korean War
> - European Union
> - The Maori Wars
> - The United Nations
> - NATO and the Warsaw Pact
>
> The emphasis in the European/Australian/New Zealand education system is
> approach history as a study of the world, instead of the US doctrine of
> "learn about US, and thats it". I have talked to so many Americans, and I
> can' t personally believe how US centric the education system in the US is.

The US education system is US-centric? I disagree.

US culture is, but the reason it's US-centric has to do mostly with the
fact that our education system isn't really doing it's job.

> The total ignorance of issues outside the US sphere is amazing. Also, the US
> needs to understand that it, like other countries, they are mearly a clog in
> the engine of the world. They are no better or worse than any other country.
> Instead of ignoring the world, or trying to sway people to the US's
> particular doctrine, they should instead work WITH countries to bring about
> change.
>
> This ignorance has can be seen in two instances:
>
> 1. Euro-Disney: Assumed that Europeans did things exactly like Yanks, which
> they don't.  Europeans don't stay over night at a theme parks. They don't
> buy crap from food stalls in the park, they bring packed lunchs called, wait
> for it, picnic's. They don't go for all this gaudy crap that you see yanks
> buy. Hence, Euro-Disneys Failure was a result of ignorance.

What the hell are you talking about?? Euro-disney is the result of a
corporation, not the US government. Most Americans don't give a damn
about Euro-disney... it's Disney's responsibility (and France's). I
thought it was pretty funny actually to see Michael Eisner being pelted
with tomatoes onstage (did anyone else see that?).

Crass corporate commercialism is something I'm concerned about too.

> 2. Planet Hollywood: Failed in New Zealand and Australia, why? nobody is
> going to pay $5 for a drink.  Aussies and kiwi's are tight asses, they don't
> like to be ripped off, they want to get value for money.  Yes, it is all
> very well coning in yanks, which is realitively easy, ask any market seller
> in fiji who are the easiest to con, but kiwi's and Aussies don't fall for
> it. Hence, Planet Hollywood failed.

Again Planet Hollywood is a corporation, not the US government. And PH
is doing bad over here too for the same reason IIRC.

> > To be honest, it sounds to me that you are actually buying
> > into the "we should be ashamed of who we are in light of
> > the other cultures out there" blithering that the Daschles
> > and the Gepharts in Washington are spewing onto the T.V.
>
> Don't be ashamed of where you come from, but remember, don't be ignorant.
> The worst thing is to be a partiotic, ignorant slob.

Yes, or a US-basher with a serious inferiority complex.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:56:40 +0100

> If linux really is slow in penetration... maybe some more KY jelly ought
> to do it! :-)

Mabwy that would get Aaron kookis to finally, uh, take it.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:57:01 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> Ignorance must be bliss in the US, hence the reason why so many
> groups/nations just want to blow the crap out of the country.

Envy, resentment, jealousy.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:02:00 +0100

> It was very crude (fvwm sucks rocks compared to NeXT Step or Workbench),

Ha! Shows how much *you* know.

FVWM is the ONE TRUE WINDOW MAGAGER anything else is the spawn of satan,
pure and simple, much like vi nd emacs.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:07:05 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>> I have a slight irrational disrespect for BASIC programmers, but I try
>> not to let it show.
>
> How can you say that after using the cherished BBC basic ????? !!!!!
> ?????

Bacause every BASIC other than BBC basic is a steaming pile of
***********. Look at it this way, can you make a linked list in VB?

Does VB have an inline assembler?

The thing is, if people were professional BBC Basic programmers, that
would be different (and the case if Acorn still had a PC business )-:

Oh, and one final thing. Does ANY other language tell you you're silly if
you make a really silly mistake?

Besides, where did I say I was being rational about the whole thing?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:08:18 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>> > I can't comment on Perl as I think it is deeply evil so my comments
>> > may be irrational.
>>
>> Which text processing language do you use?
>
> BASH scripts? :) (works for me)
>
> I am sure text processing languages are very fine things - I just don't
> seem to get on with them very well.

I could really reccomend AWK for text processing and simple programs,
since it looks like C but is much easier to write (having things like
strings built in).

Also, the comp.lang.awk guys are very helpful.

-Ed