Welcome to the weekly newsletter of the Linux Professional
Institute(tm)!  LPI is dedicated to providing a standardized,
multi-national, and respected program to certify levels of individual
expertise in Linux.  Our goal is to design and deliver such a program
from within the Linux community, using both volunteer and hired
resources as necessary. We resolve to undertake a well considered, open,
disciplined development process, leading directly to the establishment
of a recognized and widely endorsed Linux certification body.

What's News?
------------

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat waiting breathlessly for the next
installment of LPI's weekly news and asking yourself, "Where the heck is it?"
Well, I put off sending this week's update because we've got some exciting news
to announce!  (Actually that's something of a fiction.  Really I'm late because
everyone at my day job is swamped with year end close and the heat exchanger on
my home furnace broke and I can't get it fixed until Friday.  But, since no-one
but my shivering family and generous employer actually cares, I thought I'd use
a more plausible excuse, which is actually true by-the-way.  We do have some
GREAT news to announce.)  So without further ado:

News from The Bazaar!
---------------------
  Dan and Evan are busy wrapping things up at The Bazaar today and
  report that its been a fun show.  (http://thebazaar.org/)  The
  biggest news is that TurboLinux has officially announced their
  intention to sponsor LPI at the platinum level!  Check out their
  press release at:

  http://linuxtoday.com/stories/13826.html

  I think I can safely speak for everyone at LPI and say "Wooohooo!"

  Thanks in advance to all the folks who've once again gone above and
  beyond the call of duty to help staff our booth at The Bazaar:

    Samuel Du from Standard & Poors, Nancy Maragioglio from New
    Riders, Marc Torres from SuSE, Michael Slaughter from Addison
    Wesley, and Harold Sinclair.

Test Questions Needed
---------------------
  Ok, we've been harping on this for a few weeks now and the need
  is still there.  Put down Quake and spend a few minutes brain
  dumping your Linux expertise.  Or as Scott more diplomatically
  puts it:

  As we have previously reported, our first exam, T1a, is finished
  and is now being input into VUE's international test delivery
  network. It will be available in a couple of weeks.

  We're working to finish the T1b exam, which covers aspects of
  basic Linux.  To finish this exam, we need about another 50 test
  questions. Some of the particular subject areas we need items
  for are:
    - Installing local and remote print queues
    - Managing print queues
    - Configuring modems and sound cards
    - Shell scripting
    - Configuring and building a kernel

  If you have expertise in any of these areas, please help us by
  writing test questions. You can submit questions online at

    http://www.lpi.org/cgi-bin/tips.py .

  In addition to the T1b exam, we are also working on our T2 series
  of exams which cover material specific to each major Linux
  distribution. All of the areas of this exam are still open for
  questions, so please submit questions about your favorite
  distribution(s) of Linux using the online interface referenced
  above.

  Thanks to everyone who has helped us out by writing and reviewing
  questions. I hope you will assist us in completing these exams
  so that we may begin offering our Level I certificate.

VUE Announces LPI Agreement
--------------------------
  You can check out VUE's latest press release concerning LPI at:

http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=Cofxo0bKbyte1mZe&FQ=Linux&Nav=na-search-&StoryTitle=Linux

More Funding On the Way (We hope!)
----------------------------------
  I don't have specifics yet, but word on the grapevine is that there
  are a few more groups talking about sponsoring LPI.  Keep your eyes
  peeled and hopefully I'll have some more good news to announce here
  soon.

Resources
---------
LPI Home                http://www.lpi.org
LPI (German) Home       http://www.de.lpi.org

Dan's Other Cert Articles:
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue33/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue34/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue35/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue37/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue40/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/york.html

Other Linux Certification Programs:

(SAIR)  http://www.linuxcertification.com/
(LPI!)  http://www.digitalmetrics.com/
        http://www.redhat.com/corp/products_training.html
        http://www.enterprisecertified.com/aboutecc.htm

Additional email archives are now on-line:

linux-cert:
   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-cert%40linuxcare.com/
   http://lists.linuxcare.com/linux-cert/threads.html
   http://linux.codemeta.com/archives/linuxcert_archive/