Hi,

On 18/10/2014 at 10:11:27 +0200, Bird, Tim wrote :
> The answer is pretty easy, I think.  I tried to mainline it once but failed,
> and didn't really try again. If it is being found useful,  we should try to
> mainline it again,  this time with more persistence.  The reason it got
> rejected before IIRC was that you can accomplish a similar thing with
> modules, with no changes to the kernel. But that doesn't cover the case where
> the loadable modules feature of the kernel is turned off, which is common in
> very small systems.

There is also the case of subsystems that can't be compiled as modules.
I didn't even try to push that to the mainline because I believe we
prefer not having code without any users/calls in the kernel. You would
still have to patch your kernel to use deferred_module_init().

It is also quite easy to port, maybe you can try to push it to mainline
or if you want I can try to send an updated patch myself.

> ---- Dirk Behme wrote ----
>
> Hi,
>
> During the ELCE 2014 in Duesseldorf in Chris Hallinan's talk [1] there
> has been the unanswered question why the deferred initcall patch [2]
> isn't mainline, yet.
>
> Anybody remembers?
>
> Best regards
>
> Dirk