From: "Christian Paech" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI with Linux
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:24:33 +0200

How can I configure PCI with Linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff)
Subject: Re: AMD k6 and K62 - i386 compabatability
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:42:18 GMT

I had no trouble using kernel 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 on a K6-2, compiled as i586
and with MTRR support.

------------------------------

From: Chad Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sounblaster PCI64V alias ES1373
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:54:37 GMT

        The ES1373 is compatible with the ES1371.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: Solution to OEM Logitech Mouse Init.
Date: 18 Jul 1999 03:03:36 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:13:26 GMT, Andrew J. Norman wrote:

>Gentlemen and women,
>
>This is to inform you all that it is now possible (as per my perivous
>post) to enable the scroll wheel on OEM versions of Logitech's FirstMouse+
>and MouseMan+ based of the Zilog controler chips (M-S48).  Once
>initialized the mouse responses are identical to those of the retail model
>(M-C48) and can be set to operate the scroll functions of many
>application in Xwindows, etc.....

Great.. this is what I'm looking for.. will download it ASAP and thanks for
making the driver available for us with OEM logitech.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Date: 18 Jul 1999 04:32:38 GMT

On 18 Jul 1999 03:03:36 GMT, Mohd H Misnan wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:13:26 GMT, Andrew J. Norman wrote:
>>Gentlemen and women,
>>
>>This is to inform you all that it is now possible (as per my perivous
>>post) to enable the scroll wheel on OEM versions of Logitech's FirstMouse+
>>and MouseMan+ based of the Zilog controler chips (M-S48).  Once
>>initialized the mouse responses are identical to those of the retail model
>>(M-C48) and can be set to operate the scroll functions of many
>>application in Xwindows, etc.....
>
>Great.. this is what I'm looking for.. will download it ASAP and thanks for
>making the driver available for us with OEM logitech.

Ugh.. it doesn't want to work on my notebook with logitech m-s48, it frozen my
notebook and lucky I can put it to standby mode (Fn key still working tho') and
this reset the mouse port back to normal.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |
|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-You hit the nail right between the eyes.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: AIWA TD-8000?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:50:08 -0600

Ron Gibson wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the AIWA TD-8000 SCSI connected tape
> backup unit?  It's a Travan unit but has a SCSI connection.  How would
> that be handled under Linux.  It's not a floppy unit but neither is it a
> DAT SCSI unit. IOW, will it work?

It should work fine.  I have an Exabyte QIC SCSI tape drive
on my other machine and it required no special handling.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Edsko de Vries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Major trouble with DAWI DC-2974 PCI SCSI controller
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:08:16 +0200

Hi,

I've been running Linux for some time, but now I tried to install it on
a new computer, with beforementioned SCSI interface card. When I run the
(Red Hat 5.2) boot CD, booting runs fine until it comes to the SCSI
section. I get these errors:

"scsi0: AM53/79C974 PCscsi driver rev. 0.5; host I/O address: 0xB000,
IRQ: 9

scsi : 1 host
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0, channel 0, id 3,
lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00

scsi0: AM53C974_abort called -- trouble starts!!
AM53C974 register dump:

I/O base: 0xB000; CTCREG: 0x12000; CMDREG: 0x42, STATREG: 0x02;
ISREG: 0xC3, CFIREG: 0x60; LNTLREG1-4: 0x57; 0x40; 0x18; 0x44
DMACMD: 0x00; DMASTC: 0x0012; DMASPA: 0x9F400
DMAWBC: 0x0000, DMAWAC: 0x9F414; DMASTATUS: 0x00"

(the only SCSI device connected to the adapter is the Yamaha CRW4416
SCSI cd writer, this is id 3)

Then I press spacebar, and it says:

"scsi0: aborting connected command
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
AM53C974_reset called"

Followed by the same register dump

When I press spacebar then, setup starts and runs fine.

And the strangest thing is, after a warm reboot, the SCSI controller
doesn't at all recognize the writer anymore! (Not until a cold reboot).

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Use other boot disks? Maybe
some kernel parameters? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Edsko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob)
Subject: Hardware - What should I buy?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:21:11 GMT

Hi,

I've just ordered RedHat 6.0. I planned to do a
dual-OS install (along with Win98) but have now
decided to go for a all-Linux box.

I already have a IDEK Ilyama 17" monitor, Logitech
mouse and IBM keyboard and need advice on what hardware
to buy for the CPU-box. I'm trying to keep the costs
down. Please recommend:

Mainboard:
CPU:
Displayadapter:
Soundcard :
Modem (internal):
Memory (how much):
HD:

--
TIA
Bob

------------------------------

From: "Louis Dupree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-55A Interface
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:54:12 -0400

I need a a CD-55A interface card, any one have one that they would part with
or a 4X or better IDE CD ROM drive?
Louis

From: Lightnin Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: V3 and True Type Fonts
Date: 18 Jul 1999 12:31:07 GMT

Has anyone gotten V3 and true type fonts to work together? Everytime I
add "unix:/-1" to my XF86Config X refuses to start stating the infamous
error 111 and can't set font path. I remove it from the XF86Config file
and X runs fine. Seems like the problem may be in Darrel's 3DFX driver.Any
suggestions? I'm runnning Linux-Mandrake v6.0.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice.
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:35:22 -0600

sincero arcadio wrote:

> Floyd Davidson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : the total power per unit is about 40 watts, and 8 of them adds up to
> : more than 250 watts!  Probably the best solution there is a pair of 250
> : watt supplies.
>
>         Oohh ... now theres an idea I haven't thought of!  Use a pair of
> 250watt power supplies.  I've been doing searches for power supplies
> greater than 300W and those things are actually pretty expensive (like
> close to $100 or even more)!  Using two 250W supplies would definitely be
> cheaper.  Now, i wonder how I would hook it up so one switch would power
> on both power supplies ... doesn't sound too hard, but I'm no electrician.

If you're going to the trouble to build a large RAID array, you might wanna
look at a large all in one enclosure that has dual redundant power supplies.

Super Micro makes a case (SC-800/SC-800A) that has 11 5.25 HH bays, and dual
350 or 400 watt hot swappable supplies.  When it positively absolutely has to
stay up, these are pretty nice choices, and run about $500 to $600.

I've seen larger enclosures with 18-22 5.25 HH bays with dual 400s running
about $1,000 or so.

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware - What should I buy?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:02:33 -0400

Bob wrote:

Hi Bob;

See my answers and comments below.    The opinions sre entirely my own
and may not be the best answers for your intended usage.     Keep in
mind that things change rapidly in the hardware world you may want to
hold up until AMDs K7 comes out if for nothing more than to get good
pricing on intels older hardware.

> Hi,
>
> I've just ordered RedHat 6.0. I planned to do a
> dual-OS install (along with Win98) but have now
> decided to go for a all-Linux box.

You might want to consider a dula processor motherboard.    While it
might not do much good under windows 98 it certainly can be very
beneficial under Linux.     If Intel hasn't undone the capability yet a
dual processor Celeron would make a very nice Linux machine.

> [...]
> should also be considered but since I haven't gone that route my self,
> I can't say much about them.

> By the way the ASUS P2B series is not really cheap but is very high
> quality.    The problem right now is that Intel seems to be walking
> away from slot one, but yet I do not see a real solid alternative to
> this board series.     Abit does have a dual processor Celeron board
> but intel is threating to remove support for dual processing from the
> Celeron.   My feeeling is to start with a good high quality motherboad
> then to adapt the processor to you budget.    The processor is the
> easest component to upgrade at a later date.

> CPU: This is really up to you.     Much like the motherboards you can
> get different features and capabilities.    Since the P2B series is
> intel Slot 1 get the fastest CPU you can buget for.

> Displayadapter: Matrox G200 or if your willing to buy commercial X
> servers get the new G400.     The G400 may be the fastest board
> availabe but the G200 is no slouch when used with Xfree.    The G200
> can be found at cheap prices, but if you want to go dirt cheap get an
> older PCI or AGP card that is known to be compatiable with Xfree.
> While upgradeing the Video card at an later date is a little more
> difficult it still can be doe without much effort.   Every three to
> six months a much faster board comes out anyway, so again this is a
> question up to you and your budget.

> Soundcard :   Actually don't have one installed right now that works
> so can't comment.     But do get one that is compatible if you need a
> noise maker.

> Modem (internal):   Just make sure its not a WinModem as these won't
> work.     Mine is a USRobotics.    Be very careful when looking at PCI
> modems as currently there are onely two or 3 known to work under
> Linux.

> Memory (how much):  Like some of the other responses the answer here
> depends but I would have to say that 128 meg is a good starting
> point.    That may sound like a lot but remember you while be running
> an OS that can take advantage of it.   If you go the dual processor
> route even more memory can be used effectively.    There is an upper
> limit on how far you can go with real memory (both hardware and OS
> wise), but unless you have good reson to I would not go past 256 meg
> for now.   I would budget here to get at least 128 meg and let the
> chips fall were they may on the rest of the components, but again the
> way you use the machine may mean that 64 meg whill be ok.

> HD:  Again there are multiple options here.   You might want to
> consider a mother board with built in SCSI saving the IDE ports for
> locost peripheral components (CDROM & Zip) or vs versa.    Personally
> I think that two smallish disks work out better than one large uint.
> Just remember to set them up for speed.     If your going the small
> disk route get at least two 4 gig drives.

Best of luck
Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("akm76")
Subject: linux compatible laser printer
Date: 18 Jul 1999 14:46:50 GMT

Hi,
I'm looking for advice on choosing the right laser printer for my linux box.
What features should i look for, and which should i avoid?
( already got in trouble getting "softmodem" )

From: Geoff Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:45:11 +0100

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "CyShArK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > that i got a driver in linux.box.sk that was supposed to work with the
> > sblive  ...
>
> What is this driver and linux.box.sk?
>
> And, more importantly, where do I get it because I have a Sound Blaster
> Live! as well...
>
> (I have RH 6.0 [from sunsite] and kernel 2.2.5-15 as distributed, though
> I am planning to upgrade if possible)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenneth Arnold

Use the creative driver, location as the previous posting, this will work
immediately with the redhat 6 2.2.5-15 kernel, just run the install script,
reboot et viola,
BTW - has anyone got video mpeg audio working with the sblive yet?
Managed to get  mp3 audio working but not with X11Amp, having to use emusic
but all seems well.

Geoff.

------------------------------

From: Bob Berman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ultra DMA == frequent FS corruption?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:24:19 -0500

I have recently moved my Linux installation from an old basic EIDE 4Gd hard disk
to a new system which is based on an Asus P2B-LS motherboard and a 17Gb Quantum
Ultra DMA33 disk. For several years, the old system worked fine, if a bit slow,
and this new system seems to work pretty well, and much faster. The only problem
is that I seem to be encountering disk corruption much more frequently. And to
make matters worse, fsck can not usually correct the problem, as it could
before. Now, I have to re- mke2fs the partition and restore from tape. I have to
make sure my tape backups are up to date daily. Just yesterday, I installed SuSe
6.1 onto an unused partition and after I got done, my 2 yr. old accidently hit
the power switch. I then booted into my "normal" Linux installation and ran fsck
on the SuSe partition. It gave me lots of errors and when all was done, most
everything was gone except for a large number of directories in lost+found. In
the past, a power failure wasn't catastrophic. Now it is. And even normal
operations ultimately end in disk corruption after a few days.

These messages just appeared overnight:

EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,10)): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes
count in group 305, stored = 2048, counted = 1451
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,10)): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes
count in group 306, stored = 2048, counted = 1991
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,10)): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes
count in group 307, stored = 2048, counted = 1927
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,10)): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes
count in group 308, stored = 2048, counted = 1832
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,10)): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes
count in super block, stored = 577725, counted = 569057

from dmesg. What's going on here? My usual Linux environment (above messages) is
kernel 2.2.9, but the power fail catastrophe I mentioned above was from Suse
kernel 2.2.5. Does Linux have some problem with Ultra33 DMA disks? Would it help
to run "sync" from cron like every 5 minutes or so? This is really annoying to
have to rebuild my Linux filesystems every couple of days or so. Would SCSI be
more stable? This whole thing is enough to drive me to Win98 unfortunately.
(That's on another partition on same disk and it has been fine).

My disk is a Quasar 512K 5400rpm 9ms 17.2 Gb EIDE Ultra 33 DMA. I think its by
Quantum. motherboard is Asus P2B-LS, 128 Mb memory, PII-450.

------------------------------

From: Chad Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which board for Celeron A366?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:17:14 GMT

Bert Konstantin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Which mainboard should I use with a Celeron A366?

        Something with an Intel LX or BX chipset.  Using a non-intel chipset
like the SIS 620 results in a huge performance penalty.  Also avoid any
product where you can't identify the chipset by brand name (like many
PC Chips products!) or ones which just say 'intel chipset' w/o a brand name
(if it's a Intel-made mobo, they'll tell you.)

        If you can get a socket->slot adapter you could use a low-priced
LX board like the Diamond/Micronics C300 if you can still find one.  You're
going to have a better selection if you're willing to buy the adapter card
anyway.  Intel dosen't support this though, but almost all other mobo
companies do.  Especially if you use their converter.

        Stick with a good name brand, like Asus (in particular the P2B series)
, Intel, MSI, etc... this also applies to the slot 1 adapter cards, as the
better design and manufacturing will increase your chances for overclocking. :)

> Which board for the Celeron A366 supports more than 128MB cacheable
> area?

        They all do - the cache is controlled by the chip... the limit's at
least 512MB, probably 4GB.  You won't hit it with any affordable setup.

> OS: Linux, Win95b, BeOS

> Thanks
> Albert

        - Chad

------------------------------

From: "Ramon Fernandez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tekram DC-395 UW and Linux ?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:01:36 -0400

Does anybody know if the Tekram DC-395 UW is even supported for Linux ? I
really think this card is pretty sweet and Tekram's page on the card lists
Redhat Linux as one of the supported OS's BUT when I checked on REdhat's
page it does'nt list the card at ALL!!!

    Now I know the 390 is supported but the 390 had a SYMBIOS LOGIC chip
controller and the 395 uses Tekram's new ASIC chip. Could somebody PLEASE
HELP !! :) Need to know ASAP so I can get it at a real good deal.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

------------------------------

From: Jim Battin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 7895 SCSI Driver SMP Safe?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:26:15 -0500

I was wondering...

Are Linux's Adaptec 7895 (built into mobo) drivers SMP Safe, and will a
motherboard's "RAID Port" work with it?  We will be using Software RAID
1 most likely.

I had read in the old howto (from 1998) that the 78xx drivers were
really flakey, and that they weren't very SMP friendly, and weren't
ideal for RAID or SMP machines.  However, that was in the 2.1.9x kernel
days.

Any information would be great

Thanks
Jim Battin

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:33:38 GMT

Mohd H Misnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 16 Jul 1999 23:03:02 -0500, John Doe wrote:
: >On 12 Jul 1999 10:44:26 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan) writes:
: >>
: >>> On 09 Jul 1999 09:44:37 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: >>> >Linux systems with 2 button mice....UGH!!!!!!!!
: >>>
: >>> And err.. what wrong with 2 button mouse?
: >>Don't use X windows eh?  X uses 3 buttons, yes you can do emulation,
: >>but thats a hack and if you are selling systems to be linux only,
: >>it shouldn't have 2 button mice.
: >>
: >>--
: >>Tom Evans
: >
: >Why X?  Middle button works everywhere.

: My 2 button trackpad work just fine in and outside X, the 3rd button emulation
: works. Now if I can get the Zilog version of my PS/2 Logitech OEM mouse to
: scroll..  And uhh.. I wonder why Apple is still bundling one button mice with
: even the latest machine, the G3s & iMac.

probably philosophy.  they were the only proponent of the 'single
claw' style mouse.  humans have much more than 1 finger to click with
<g> and I see no ergonomic detriment to clicking 2 3 or more buttons.

but they'd have to admit they were wrong to use only 1 button.  and
large companies have a hard time admitting stuff like that ;-)

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.