  USR MODEM SETUP ("Daezz")

From: Sleepy Weasel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.warez.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Video Card Probs in Rh6
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:19:18 -0400

On Tue, 02 May 2000 14:42:01 -0400, "L. Friedman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why are RedHat problems getting posted in a Caldera NG??

Because they crossposted this message to six newsgroups.  Probably
best to ignore their question until they learn some proper posting
manners.  Sorry to post to all the groups, just hoped the original
poster would see this and understand that they need to repost the
question only in the proper newsgroup.

SW

------------------------------

From: Pascual =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz=20Mu=F1oz?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV remote for PCTV
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:47:11 +0100

Well, I run Red Hat Linux 6.1. I can properly watch TV using modules bttv and
videodev, with program
"xawtv", but now I'd like to use the remote via serial port. My kernel is 2.2.12. I
think the chipset
number is B848 or something like that.

Regards

H Bohm wrote:

> I think there is a module for Miro Cards with Kernel 2.2.x  !!!
> I have a WinTV Card and run it with the module bttv...
> Of course you have to modprobe or insmod the videodev module.
>
> I can get you lots of infos about this topic but I need more
> tech. data. Your distribution, the kernel number and most important
> the Chipset of MiroPCTV...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Pascual Muñoz Muñoz schrieb:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I've purchased the MiroPCTV (now Pinnacle) and it comes with a remote that
>connects to the serial
> > port. Is there any possibility of using in Linux?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Pascual Muñoz Muñoz - Telecommunication Engineer
Optical Communications Group
Departamento de Comunicaciones E.T.S.I.T
Camino de Vera s/n - 46071 Valencia, SPAIN
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fax: +34-6-3877309

Subject: Re: Flat-panel displays -- recommendations?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 21:29:16 GMT

According to Rod Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> And lower power consumption, and an absolutely flat display, and freedom
> from geometric distortions, and improved resistance to magnetic
> artifacts, and so on. These things might or might not be important to you
> personally, but even if they're not, they may be important to others.
> (Likewise, of course, there are advantages to CRTs over LCDs, like wider
> viewing angles and an ability to work at more resolutions without weird
> distortions.)

I am somewhat unimpressed with the current crop of LCD flatpanels, due
almost entirely by the way they are driven from a standard analog
video card.  Picture quality is not nearly as good as what you will
get from a laptop which has a direct digital connection.

The one exception is the SGI flatpanel display which *does* have a
digital connection between the PC and panel.  The downside is that you
are limited to the Number 9 video card which is a bit dated compared
to the current crop of video cards.  *However*, SGI is selling
re-furbed flat panel displays with the Number 9 video card for about
$1100, which really is a pretty good deal.  (If I didn't already have
three 20" CRTs I'd probably spring for one.)

-p.

------------------------------

From: Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1371.o ensoniq sound missing symbol
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:56:42 +0200

Vijay Boyapati wrote:

> Hi, I have a 2.2.14 kernel which is super-ku.
>
> I'm having a problem getting sound to work with an ensoniq card 1371
> (which is supported). I compiled the appropriate modules (es1371.o
> sound*.o etc) and put them in /lib/modules/2.2.14). I then ran
> /usr/sbin/sndconfig
>
> and it saw my card and the drivers fine but complained thusly:
>
> es1371.o: unresolved symbol
> synchronize_irq
>
> es1371.o: unresolved symbol
> waitqueue_lock
>
> Any idea of how to fix this problem? Do I have to recompile my kernel
> again? If so, what is important for those unresolved symbols to become
> resolved again?
>
> Any help would be extra ku.

It works fine here with a 2.2.13 kernel.
At default it would use the same irq (11) as my videocard, but my BIOS
sets it to 10.
My kernel is compiled so that it reads Bios and ues that settings.

Maybe it's good to check the setup under General Setup.
Mine is like this;
any  PCI acces mode
n    Use PCI irq routing bla bla
y    PCI quirks
n    PCI bridge optimization
y    backward compatible /proc/pci

Maybe it's in here?

******************           __   _
/   Marcel Pol   /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /        /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
******************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

------------------------------

From: Huanyun Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Installing RTL8139 on Compaq
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:18:18 -0500

Dear friends,

I tried to install an RTL8139 ethernet card on our Compaq Presario 2285V
(one of the free-PCs). It is running on Redhat Linux6.1. But after we
modprobe rtl8139, which was ok, we cannot do
        ifconfig eth0 up
The error message is
        SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.
When we tried to configue the kernel, even if we didn't select optional
modules, the machine became unberablely slow. I downloaded compiled
kernels and they are all too big (at least according to the error
message).

It's the 2nd ethernet card we have bought and it's really frustrating.
I greatly appreciate any help from you!

Sincerely,

Huanyun Li

------------------------------

From: "Andy France" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Really Inexpensive Array of Disks
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:16:15 +1200

"Mario Lang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi.
>
> I just heard that there is a RAID controller (SCSI) which
> works with IDE disks. Does anyone know if this one is supported
> by Linux and where I can get it (web url would be nice).

Take a look at http://www.excelcdrom.com.
They make an external RAID box that has a UW SCSI interface but uses EIDE
drives.
As it's just a SCSI device, it should be fine as long as your SCSI host
adapter is supported?

Still not a cheap RAID option mind you!

Cheers,
Andy.

------------------------------

From: "puetter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can´t blank CD-RW
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 00:23:44 +0200

Hiho,

if i try to blank an CD-RW with my YAMAHA CRW8424S I get following message:

#cdrecord dev=4,0 blank=all [-force]

Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '4,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : SYNC
Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
Identifikation : 'CRW8424S        '
Revision       : '1.0j'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 9 seconds.8
seconds.7 seconds.6 seconds.5
seconds.4 seconds.3 seconds.2
seconds.1 seconds.cdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi
sendcmd: retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)

CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 12.581s timeout 9600s
cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
cdrecord: Input/output error. prevent/allow medium removal: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
CDB:  1E 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.012s timeout 40s

Any suggestions why this doesn´t work ?

Michael

------------------------------

From: "arndike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q. printers canon bcj80  brother mp21
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:25:25 +1200

Can anyone please tell me if either of these are supported under linux

the canon is a small footprint bubble jetwith epson LQ510 emulation or IBM
proprinter X24e emulation

the Brother MP-21 is a pcmcia printer in a small footprint

or if anyone knows of any other small footprint printers suitable for laptop
use then i would be happy to use that model if it works

thank you

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:27:19 -0400
From: Lucas K Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aic7xx  and vaio eth0 problems

i've got two completely independant problems, any help would be great
I've got a PCG-Z505R (viao 366 superlim) with and intel etherexpress
integrated card.  every now and then (once every 20 seconds when doing
heavy nfs serving, every 10 min when doing web browsing) i get
Trying to restart the trasnmitter...
Transmit timed out: status 0050 0070 at 2643(this # changes) command
000c0000
in my /var/log/messages
it regains the conection within a couple seconds, filling up my dmesg
with:
Rx ring entry[#] 0000001.
and after a bunch of these, some:
PHY index 1 register [#] is [#]
then eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...

this is fairly annoying when it's on my home lan or i'm using it as a
monitor for a headless server but for reading web pages i rarely notice it

my second problem is much less frequent but more severe
oh, both are running kernel 2.2.14, the system below with reiser patched
in
i have an aha2940UW card with an ibm 2.1 gig hd on the UW internal, a cdr
on the 50 pin, and a scanner and zip drive on the external 50 pin
i only get the problem when i have devices other than the hd on the card.
i get hangs with the cdr going, or when i had two dying apple 700meg
drives installed.
anyway: i get loads of scsi bus hang, and reset messages when transferring
information between devices on the scsi device.  it has also brought down
the system completely several times so that i couldn't even rsh in.
well, any help would be great, here's some logs:
/var/log/warn:
May  2 05:48:44 tower kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 43745,
scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 19 c5 5f 00 00 80 00
May  2 05:48:45 tower kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 43745) timed out - resetting
May  2 05:48:45 tower kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
May  2 06:00:06 tower modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
May  2 06:00:06 tower modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
May  2 06:15:03 tower kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Data overrun detected in Data-Out phase,
tag 0;
May  2 06:15:03 tower kernel:   Have seen Data Phase. Length=4096, NumSGs=1.
May  2 06:15:03 tower kernel:      sg[0] - Addr 0x4346000 : Length 4096
[...]
Linux version 2.2.14 (root@tower) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #5 Tue May 2
18:33:18 EST 2000
Memory: 127320k/131008k available (1528k kernel code, 416k reserved, 1676k data, 68k
init)
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: 00:38 [1106/0586]: Work around ISA DMA hangs (00)
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 10/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi0) during machine bootup.
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 413 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.21/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DCAS-32160W       Rev: S61A
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: N*32
Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
(scsi0:0:6:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-R   CW-7502    Rev: 3.10
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 2 SCSI disks total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 8x/8x writer xa/form2 cdda tray
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 4226725 [2063 MB] [2.1 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sdb: Write Protect is on
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
 sdb: sdb4
ReiserFS version 3.5.18

------------------------------

From: Silvestre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need a driver for Aopen Faxmodem
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:30:12 GMT

I need a driver for Aopen Faxmodem FM56

From: "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Int 13h Device Not Found, BIOS not installed
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:53:21 +0200

The score gets worse: 4 out of 5 false explanations.

Was there anything wrong with Buchenrieders explanation that prompted
you to make this confusing post?

"David C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
| >
| > I just installed a Adaptec SCSI adapter into my computer which is an
| > HP Vectra VL8, Pentium II 450, 128MB SDRAM.  Anyway, I keep getting
| > this message when I boot up the computer, but it seems the scsi
| > adapter is able to detect a tape drive and cdrom writer that I have on
| > the internal scsi chain, this is the 50pins connector.
| >
| > Here is what I see
| >
| > AHA-2940 BIOS v1.2
| > (c) 1995 Adaptec
| >
| > Int 13h Device Not Found
| > BIOS not installed
|
| Where's your hard drive attached?  If you're booting an IDE hard drive,
| then the Adaptec BIOS is not needed.

Correct.

| The BIOS detects this and disables itself.

You think so? You have actually tried that? You think the SCSIS bios checks
the machine for what device is going to get to boot?

| The message is simply for you to realize what's going on.
|
| The Adaptec BIOS is only used during the boot sequence and for those
| operating systems (meaning DOS) which use the BIOS for disk access
| instead of device drivers.

Correct. But it is not the OS that decides if the bios stays resident.
You decide that via SCSISelect or through the absence of a fixed diskdrive
or bootable CDrom on the bus.
What do YOU think SCSISelect is for?

| Once your operating system is loaded, the BIOS is not required for
| anything, which is why you can use a non-bootable hard drive, tape
| drive, CD-ROM, whatever, on the card even when the BIOS disables
| itself.

You actually think that the bios stays resident until Windows is booted and
then disables it self? That is what you wrote.

------------------------------

From: David M. Carney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hardware problem??
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 20:12:39 -0400

Simon,

  Have you run Xconfigurator?

David

From: "Daezz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USR MODEM SETUP
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:04:19 -0400

    I have been having problems setup my Usr 56k V90 Modem in RH6... i know
its a hardware modem and not a winmodem therefore it should work.. any am
completely new at this.. anyone with info on how to setup a modem in Linux
or where to get linux drivers for my usr would be greatly appreciated...

respong to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daezz