From: Plamen Neykov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SnapScan e50
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:10:06 +0200

Hi All,

Is it possible to use SnapScan e50 under Linux ?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: christian mueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundcard for linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:31:25 +0200

Dave Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Nicolas Bouche" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> I'd like to purshase a soundcard for my linux box.
>> I am running debian linux 2.2.16 with a 686 processor.
>> There are so many different kinds of soundcards out there, i dont know
>> what to look for.
>> So if you have something that works fine, let me know.

I also use a soundblaster.. Works just fine for me.
The one I use is called 128PCI. It's pretty cheap and is just right
for playing mp3's
byee
christian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:50:44 -0400
From: Poinsett Weldon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

hey you can try this sight for some help.

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/intellimouseexplorer.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:56:15 -0400
From: Poinsett Weldon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Soudblaster setup in Mandrake 7.1

I got my card working using this.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:04:02 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem - IRQ not found

Herman Viaene wrote:

> I have an internal hard modem Zoltrix which works under WinNT on com4, port
> 2e8 IRQ3 (set on the board, no PNP).
>
> When under  Corel linux I use minicom, the modem answers on AT commands, but
> very
> slowly. I can also dial out, but the modem seems to hang after negotiating
> with the remote party. According the Modem-Howto, the slow handling is due
> to IRQ problems. And that is very likely the case since in the Corel Control
> Center I see all other IRQ's used, but not IRQ3. I have editied 0setserial
> in /etc/rc.boot to exclude dev/ttyS1 and made the line on dev/ttyS3 active
> and created a link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS3, but this has apparently no
> effect on the activation of IRQ3.
>
> Anybody an idea how to handle this
>
> TIA

See if the irq and address is what you expect via:
setserial -a /dev/ttyS3

It'll tell you what the actual serial port settings are. A lot of 56k
modems also require an option string to tell them to enable 56k
protocols (specific to the modem hardware, and I know nothing about this
particular modem).

------------------------------

From: "Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:07:27 GMT

LinkSys betrayed us!
I bought a LinkSys LNE100TX ethernet card because it had the box label
"Linux Tested".
It came with a driver floppy disk, but it had no driver for Linux.  The
floppy disk had instructions for installing an old copy of tulip onto RedHat
5.0, which used kernel 2.0; I have RedHat 7.0 w/ kernel 2.2.16.  I have one
of the later versions of LinkSys LNE100TX, version 4.1, and this needs the
latest tulip driver.
LinkSys should have given us a working binary files with detailed
step-by-step installation instructions.  LinkSys wants us to *download* the
necessary files/drivers, but without the drivers, I can't get on the
internet to download them.  The old catch 22; without experience, can't get
a job, but without a job, can't get experience.

I went to the tulip web site http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html , but
the instructions there were so poor and ambiguous that an average user could
never follow.  The web site leaves you wondering if there are multiple ways
of installing the driver, or one way, but different steps.
Do I do either "Using the Source RPM Package" or "Installing the Individual
Drivers", or do I do both?  What does it mean to install "individual"
drivers?  I have *one* card, which needs *one* driver!  What do you mean by
individual?!
There's also the section, "Building updated drivers into the kernel".  Do I
do this in addition to the above instrucitons, or is this something
separate?!
I went to the web site http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html , but this
web site also has poor instructions, and refers you to somewhere else to
learn how to install modules.

Linux has a long way to go before it can become a common platform, if at
all.  Linux is for hobbiest who have time to tinker with their computers.
There are no simple ways to click-and-drag to get things working.
Everything is a struggle; you have to learn something new for every petty
task.  Imagine if you had to know how the car's engine transferred power via
the transmission system before you can drive your car,...  Few of us know
how a calculator works, and we take it for granted and use it as a fuctional
tool.  That's what a computer should be; a functional tool to increase
productivity.  Too much time/effort is required to use Linux.  However,
Win2K is just as stable, but easy and user-friendly.  How much is my time
worth?  How much is Win2K?  Win2K starts to seem pretty attractive,...

=====

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what's the meaning of "Retraining"?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:29:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>     Every time I dial up successful,after the handshaking my computer will die with
>the keyboard locked.I have to reset it.Here is the tail of /var/log/message:
>
> Oct 24 17:54:31 localhost kernel: Remote MODEM Answered!
> Oct 24 17:54:31 localhost kernel: Connecting V.34 at 33600 bps...
> Oct 24 17:54:31 localhost kernel: MODEM is Handshaking...
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost pppd[20837]: Serial connection established.
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost pppd[20837]: Using interface ppp0
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost pppd[20837]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/clm
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost kernel: MODEM Has Connected!
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost kernel: Modem Mode: V.34 Asym
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost kernel: Modem Baud TX: 31200
> Oct 24 17:54:40 localhost kernel: Modem Baud RX: 33600
> Oct 24 17:55:00 localhost kernel: Modem Retraining???
> Oct 24 17:55:02 localhost kernel: New Modem Status: 0x2
> Oct 24 17:55:23 localhost kernel: Modem Retraining???
> Oct 24 17:55:23 localhost kernel: Modem is Retraining
>
> P.S. I am a chinese,and I am using a chinese version BluePoint1.0(chinese kernel
>2.2.13).

> Linux Programmer's Site

 What is /dev/clm ??  Modems connect to /dev/ttySX where X has a value of
0 to 31. Point your modem at the same value microsoft windows would use -1.
This should solve the problems. If not then more info may be needed like what
type of system hardware you are running the modem model and name etc.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: Mathias Meisfjordskar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.1 & Athalon
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:31:43 +0200

Martin Racette wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I might have a good bargain for an Athalon 900Mhz, and I would like to
> know if this CPU will work without any major itch with Mandrake 7.1

It's called Athlon, not Athalon. And it will work great! Mine does... :)

TiaZzz

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recompiling the kernel: how to find drivers
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:34:23 GMT

lynx wrote:

> "Nathaniel Hekman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
> <gDiJ5.1761$953.9590@read1>:
>
> > I guess there are three drivers I need to figure out.
> >     1) the video card--I can probably find that one pretty easily
>
> that's XFree's problem, really.
>
> >     2) the SCSI controller--couldn't find something that looked like a
> > match, but obviously it's working so there must be one.
>
> look through your system logfiles to find whatever (if any) messages the
> driver puts out on initializing (you meant it works under linux, right?)
> and these will probably tell you.
>
> >     3) an ethernet driver--again it is working, so it must have found a
> > driver, but I don't know how to tell which it's using.
>
> see above. `less /var/log/messages'.

  Also try lsmod at any console prompt to see loaded modules.

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vid drivers on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:38:47 -0400

>> The vid drivers you are talking about are part of the XFree86
>> X11 window system packages, they *should* be the same for all
>> distro's of linux.
>>
>> Each "driver" is built into its own Xserver package, you can
>> add or remove them individually to change drivers if you pick
>> the wrong one during the install.
>>
>> Bluster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ok. Is this easy to do? I imagine by using the Gnome interface it should
> be straightforward? Is there a command line method?

The install program will test the Xserver (vid driver) you choose,
if the test fails you can backup a couple of steps in the install
(at least with redhat) and select another video card off the list,
then test *that* Xserver, until you find the right one for your
video hardware.

If you do choose the wrong server at install and elect to skip
the install's X11 setup, then you will have to use the command line
to install the correct Xserver package (and maybe remove the wrong
one the install program added).  You do that with the rpm command
(rpm = Redhat Package Manager) like so...

to remove the bad Xserver:

[root@home]# rpm -e BadXserverPackage

to add the Good Xserver:

[root@home]# rpm -ivh /path/to/CD/GoodXserverPackage.rpm

Then you run the XF86Setup program to set screen type, default
resolution, color depth, mouse type, etc...

[root@home]# Xf86Setup

You'll have to judge for yourself if it's straightforeward
or not, but I usualy have to reinstall MS Win OS products
many many times to get all the hardware to work together,
with linux not so much, the first install works a lot of the
time, and unlike MS Win TONS of things can be fixed without
reinstalling linux.

Hope this helps,
Bluster

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring 2 Com Ports?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:41:38 GMT

John wrote:

> Hi Group;
>     On Com port 1 I have my ISDN Modem connected and working fine. I
> would like to get the
> 2nd Com port working, but am having problems.
>
>   On Com Port 2 I have connected an APC Back-Ups 400 and installed the
> current version of
> Linux software from APC for this device. I keep getting this error
> message " Port set up for local control
> -- must be set for modem control", just what does this mean? and can you
> guys help.
>
> Thanks ahead!!
>
> John

 Hmmm on an odd guess I would say you would have to comunicate with it
as though it were a modem. Ie maybe use pppd for communication with it.

From: Moscito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New D-Link wireless LAN equipment + Linux?
Date: 26 Oct 2000 23:46:08 GMT

Hi,

        D-Link is pushing its new line of Intersil-based wireless
(802.11b compatible) LAN PCMCIA cards.  Are these cards compatible
with Linux, with other wireless cards, and good value?

        [Have used D-Link tulip and via-rhine based cards and they
have been very good value in the past, even the much maligned ones
like the DFE-530TX, no experience with DFE-640 or 650.]

        Also, are the USB-to-ethernet converters useable in Linux?

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking performance problem
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:47:49 GMT

==============A2EAD5809E99BF0E78CD238B

Hi there,

do you use samba? If so somewhere in its documentation exists description
of the problem and it's solution. As I do not use Samba I can not help more
;-(

Andrey

Jacco van Schaik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a networking problem that's been bothering me for some time. I
> have a Windows machine with a 100 Mbps Intel EtherPro card connected via
> UTP to a Linux box with a 3com 3c905B. The problem is that traffic from
> the Windows box to the Linux box goes as fast as 3 to 5 MBytes per
> second but the other way around, from Linux to Windows, goes at a measly
> 7 kBytes per second.
>
> The strange thing is, this is not a recent problem. It was the same when
> I had two 10Base2 NE2000 clone cards, and since then I've tried
> everything I can think of:
>
> - Replacing the NE2000s by 100 Mbps UTP NICs
> - Swapping the NICs
> - Changing and reversing cables
> - Using different drivers (3c509, 3c59x, 3c90x)
> - Setting the card to half-duplex as some people suggested (it went from
>   7kBps to a whopping 12 kBps, so yes, that did help some)
> - I've even replaced the motherboard in the Linux box
>
> But all to no avail. Some things I've already made sure of:
>
> - The two boxes are connected using a cat. 5 crossover cable that seems
>   to have all pins connected.
> - The NIC is on its own interrupt.
>
> And now I just don't know what to try anymore.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Groeten,                                        - Jacco
>
> --
> Think about it:                 | IRL: Jacco van Schaik
> If the wheel had never been     | Mail me:   jacco at nlr dot nl
> reinvented, we'd still be       | Spam bait: postmaster@localhost
> driving on logs...              |
>                                 | See also http://www.nlr.nl/NARSIM.html

==============A2EAD5809E99BF0E78CD238B

Hi there,
of the problem and it's solution. As I do not use Samba I can not help
more ;-(
via
from
when
from
- Jacco
it:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| IRL: Jacco van Schaik

jacco at nlr dot nl
bait: postmaster@localhost
logs...&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

| See also <a
|href="http://www.nlr.nl/NARSIM.html">http://www.nlr.nl/NARSIM.html</a></blockquote>

<pre></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linuxppc 2.2.17 / cdrecord 1.10a04 - scsi device MADNESS!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:55:51 GMT

==============75AC8953F69CB1B3EB7A2B0C

Hey man,

did your kernel compile to work with sg devices or do you load sg module to
get access to device. If not reread documentation to cdrecord. It is not
enough include support for SCSI, you need support for sg devices (CDR/CDRW,
SCANNERS, ....)

Andrey

K Alexan wrote:

> [...]
>
> And:
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 /dev/sg0 -> /dev/sga
> crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   0 /dev/sga
>
> But, according to dmesg, the burner is /dev/scd1 (which works fine w/
> mount, eject, etc.).  Which is OK, since I'd expect to have to usr sg0
> for arbitrary scsi devices anyway.  How can I check that sga _is_
> actually the burner?
>
> strace on 'cdrecord -scanbus' shows that it's trying open all the
> sg[0-7] (I have the default 8 dev entries) and sg[a-h] devices - three
> times each:
>
> open("/dev/sga", O_RDWR)                = 2147476488
> open("/dev/sga", O_RDWR)                = 2147476488
> open("/dev/sga", O_RDWR)                = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
>
> Why?  The same value ("2147476488") is reported for all the devs
> (0-7,a-h) on each of the first two of three open calls.  So, it looks
> like it's the same device.  Do I need more sga devices?
>
> J"org's README.linux indicates that the current scsi transport code uses
> /dev/sg0 and that a system should only have one of sga or sg0.  Since
> sg0 is a link to sga, I'm wondering what is going on.  Wouldn't this
> indicate that something has changed since his readme was written?  (Why
> would the transport code expect sg0 if it's just a link to sga?)
>
> The README also indicates that one device can consume all the sg*
> entries.  I thought this was a one to one file to device mapping, as
> with /dev/sda (to one physical drive).  I'd understand if there were
> /dev/sga[0-7] entries, but there aren't.  Can someone explain this to
> me?  Why does J"org recommend at least 20 /dev/sg* nodes?  If I make
> more with MAKEDEV, will this solve the problem?
>
> Furthermore, from the strace output I see that cdrecord is also looking
> at /dev/pg[0-15].  What are these devices?  Why are they not mentioned
> in 'man MAKEDEV' or the /dev/MAKEDEV file (other than just in the case
> statement) ?
>
> So, cdrecord is finding _SOME_ device at sga/sg0, but then failing and
> complaining that it can't open the scsi driver.
>
> Incidently, I build the lib{schily,scg}.a and other libs from cdrtools,
> but it doesn't look like they're needed in linux?
>
> The whole suite was built with smake, just to do it properly.
>
> Any _detailed_ comments are appreciated.  If you're a newbie, no
> offense, but please don't respond telling me that you just used the rpm
> and everything is fine - you won't be answering any of my questions.
>
> I've done this on solaris and *bsd a number of times.. but it's just WAY
> more confusing in linux.
>
> Thanks for input.  Cheers.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

==============75AC8953F69CB1B3EB7A2B0C

Hey man,
to get access to device. If not reread documentation to cdrecord. It is
not enough include support for SCSI, you need support for sg devices (CDR/CDRW,
/usr/local/bin/cdrecord
root&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
8 /dev/sg0 -> /dev/sga
sys&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
21,&nbsp;&nbsp; 0 /dev/sga
usr sg0
O_RDWR)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
= 2147476488
O_RDWR)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
= 2147476488
O_RDWR)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
= -1 ENODEV (No such device)
looks
uses
Since