From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:08:22 -0500

Mark wrote:

> Roy Grimm wrote:
> >
> > > Sound Card    - SB Live Value (OEM)              ~$ 50
> > > CD-ROM        - Samsung 40X                      ~$ 40
> >
> > For future growth, you may want to consider getting a DVD ROM drive.  It
> > will cost a bit more but you won't have to upgrade it later.
>
> From the RedHat hardware compatibility list...
> "Some IDE and SCSI DVD drives will work with Red Hat Linux as CD-rom
> readers. This factor is usually dependent on how ATAPI or SCSI
> compatible their CD-rom facilities are."
>
> Does any one know of a compatible DVD ROM drive?

I've had my CD-ROMs for quite some time so I haven't had a chance to
test any DVD ROMs out.  If you go to http://www.linux.org or
http://www.redhat.com you can find a list of compatible hardware.  The
lists tend to be reasonably up to date for mainstream devices.

> > > Modem         - Zoom Model #2919                 ~$ 60
> >
> > Oh man.  You do not want to use a zoom modem.  I ran an ISP for a while
> > and about 75% of our customer's modem troubles were with zoom modems.
> > Any other non winmodem would be a better choice.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, I picked the Zoom because it appears to
> contain a DSP chip (made by lucent) that is recommended in the RedHat
> hardware list. Does any one have recommendations for a non-winmodem?

I can't yet recommend my modem 'cause I haven't gotten around to
finishing my PPP setup.  I'm going through AT&T and they use CHAP
authentication and I haven't gotten that set up right yet.  Too much to
do, not enough time.  I use a Diamond SupraExpress 56i V.90.  It works
under Windoze but so does a winmodem...

> > > Mouse         - MS Intellimouse PS2              ~$ 20
> > > Keyboard      - MS Natural PS2                   ~$ 20
> >
> > I suppose, if you can get M$ products for $20 each, that wouldn't be so
> > bad...
> >
> > > Floppy        - Sony 1.44MB                      ~$ 15
> > > Case          - Inwin Mini-Tower                 ~$ 50
> > >                                        Total     ~$985
> >
> > You didn't mention a monitor.  Are you reusing an existing monitor?
>
> I didn't mention it because I didn't think it would have any
> compatibility problems. Just in case anyone is curious, the one I've
> been eyeing is Viewsonics 17" PT775. It's a bit pricey at 360 but it
> looks very high quality.

I can make a difference, if you are using a really old monitor.  Just
make sure you have the manual so you can find the refresh rates for
various resolutions.  I don't know if the Vewsonic is listed in the
"standard" monitor list.

> > Well, that's my $0.02
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Good luck,
Roy

------------------------------

From: "Roland Behunin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:18:34 -0600

Hi Folks,

Well, that is the question - will a modem on a USB port work with linux.
Seems I have a winmodem (combined with sound card) on the inside of my
computer.

So I am wondering if I should try and locate and external modem - for a USB
port or a serial port.

Thanks in advance
roland

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert J. Sprawls)
Subject: Zip, Jazz, and Orbs.
Date: 19 Jul 1999 02:36:48 GMT

       I'm looking into replacing my venerable Jumbo 250 tape drive
for something a little more capable( plus my drive is snapping tapes
). I see a rather new drive called the Orb drive. Has anyone gotten
this to work with linux? I pretty reasonably priced so I hoping it is
compatibility.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:28:39 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>    I'm buiding my first Linux Box, here's my current list of hardware,
> comments welcome reguarding performace/price and compatibility.
>
> Mark
>
> Mother Board  - Abit BE6                         ~$120
> CPU           - P3 450                           ~$280
Don't take the newest possible CPU. Consider Celeron or - even better -
AMD K6-3. There you get much better performance-per-price.
> RAM           - 128 MB PC100 generic             ~$100
> Hard Drive    - Quantum Fireball KA ATA/66 9.1GB ~$150
Buy IBM DTTA instead. They make the most silent HD's I've ever seen in
my whole life!
> Graphics Card - Creative TNT 16 MB               ~$ 80
> Sound Card    - SB Live Value (OEM)              ~$ 50
You know that linux drivers are beta and binary only (urgh) for this
one?
> CD-ROM        - Samsung 40X                      ~$ 40
Listen to it first. 'Modern' CDROMs are the hell when it comes to
loudness.
> Modem         - Zoom Model #2919                 ~$ 60
> Mouse         - MS Intellimouse PS2              ~$ 20
Logi Pilot. Cheap but outstanding quality (an not my M$)
> Keyboard      - MS Natural PS2                   ~$ 20
Cherry. Since ever they made the best quality-per-price keyboards
around. Back in the Atari ST days we made adaptors to use them with the
ST!
> Floppy        - Sony 1.44MB                      ~$ 15
> Case          - Inwin Mini-Tower                 ~$ 50
Make sure the fan is not too loud and the power supply is of good
quality. (German c't magazine has done some tests of power supplies and
most of them are crap. Generally Chembro make good cases (with quite
good ps's))

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Barwell)
Subject: Re: FUJITSU MO on RH6.0
Date: 19 Jul 1999 03:30:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lars Bensmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 01:34:22 GMT, Robert Hancock
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have a Fujitsu 230 MB MO drive (Model M2512A on SCSI ID 4) running off an
>>Initio INI-9090U SCSI adapter that is built into a recompiled kernel
>>(2.2.5-15).
>>At boot, the Initio card and MO drive are seen correctly and the boot even
>>identifies the size of the MO disk and write protection but when I try to
>>mount the device as /dev/sda4, it freezes the box solid and the only way to
>>escape is by pressing the reset button.  Sometimes, I get the following
>>message:
>>SCSI device sda:  hdwr sector = 512 bytes. Sectors = 248826 (121 MB) [0.1
>>GB]
>>sda Write protect is off
>>sda:  sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
>>tul_bad_seg c=0

I am not familiar with Fujitsu MO's under Linux, but I do
own one.  Mine is formatted under DOS.  The Fujitsu
format utility allows me to format in two ways.
One as a superfloppy, it treats it as a 230 mg floppy, or as
a removable HD, the disk is partitioned like a hard disk.

Could it be you might have your disks say, formatted
as superfloppies while Redhat is expecting a removable
format?

Pope Charles
SubGenius Pope of Houston
Slack!

------------------------------

From: Tracy Johns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pioneer DRM-640x Jukebox
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:23:31 -0600

    I have recently acquired a Pioneer DRM-640X 6 disk CD jukebox. It is

new to me, and I haven't used one of these before. Does anyone know how
to use it with Linux? I have Slackware 2.0.34 kernel, and kernel 2.2.6
available. Do I need a special driver? Does anyone know if Slackware 4.0

will work with this jukebox?

    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tracy Johns
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Nick V" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ethernet Card Install
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:08:00 -0500

I have a Kingston EtheRx KNE20 Plug and Play ISA ethernet card on my
computer..i recently installed Caldera OpenLinux 1.3, but it didn't find the
ethernet card on my machine...how do i install the card, now that i've
installed linux
i've tried
insmod ne.o    and
insmod tulip.o
in the root access, but it came up "module not found"

please e-mail any replies to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks,
 nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: isapnp error
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:21:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colclough) wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:47:12 +0200, "Majid-Nikoma"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry, my mistake. AZT4019 is ISA PnP. The problem is, this is a
PCTel
> >> Software modem. Its resource requirements are different from
> >> traditional hardware modems. Furthermore, like a winmodem, there is
> >> currently no driver support for Linux. Only Windows.
> >>
> >Are you 100% sure ????? (Say no pls !!!)
>
> It's a WinModem - eg. under works under Windows and has the guts of
> the modem in complicated software drivers.
>
> >Is there any other solution ??
>
> Yes, sell your modem and buy a "proper" one.

The main drive behind winmodems/softmodems is cost.

In addition, because Software modem developers have to re-write the
entire DSP algorithm from scratch, they can address many of the
problems that DSP modems have to live with (in order to reuse the old
code as much as possible). As such, powered by the incredible amount of
host processing power available now, software modems are actually
beginning to out-perform DSP based hardware modems.

There is not so much a question of whether a modem architecture
is "proper". I am sure if the solution providers were to port the
Windows drivers to work in Linux, Linux users will appreciate the
improvements made possible by software modems. I don't know when that
will happen.

- Roy

From: Neville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:23:19 GMT

Ok, I'm doing the whole build-your-own-linux box thing for the first
time.

I think I have a good handle on what I need to get, but I have no clue
where to buy. I've checked shopper.com and pricewatch for the lowest
priced places, but I'd prefer to buy everything (mobo, cpu, memory, HD,
case, etc.) from one place at a reasonable price.

Any recommendations of online places for PARTS? I especially would like
some good names of places for ECC memory that also sell other computer
parts like mobo's and cpu's.

Thanks,

- Neville

From: Neville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATX Cases?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:18:39 GMT

What are good ATX cases for building a cheap Linux box?

I'm looking to spend somewhere near $50 (incl. power supply) and I would
like a small tower (I believe this is the mid or mini form factor but
correct me if you know of something different/better).

I've heard many good things about the In-Win cases but I'm not sure which
one I need to get, and, most importantly, where to buy them. Regardless
of the brand, I would love some recommendation of which online stores
sell cases at reasonable prices.

Thanks,

- Neville

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:00:47 GMT

In article <7mnf8q$sj1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Majid-Nikoma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> 7mmdkf$54u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > In article <7mk5q5$jje$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Majid-Nikoma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> > > 7mjoh7$5ge$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Error
> > resource

> > modem
Windows
> > for

> > > Thanks for your Comment, but my Modem is not a Winmodem, it is
ISA-
> > PNP
> > > Modem
> > >

> > Sorry, my mistake. AZT4019 is ISA PnP. The problem is, this is a
PCTel
> > Software modem. Its resource requirements are different from
> > traditional hardware modems. Furthermore, like a winmodem, there is
> > currently no driver support for Linux. Only Windows.
> >
> > - Roy
> >
> Are you 100% sure ????? (Say no pls !!!)
> Is there any other solution ??

Sorry. I am 100% sure. Check the manufacturer marking on the main Chip.
It should be PCTel. Visit www.pctel.com and You will be convinced that
it is a software modem.

Try an external serial port modem, like the Aztech EM6800. It is based
on USR/TI chipset, V90/X2 56kbps data rate.

- Roy

From: SYS ADM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Eicon DIVA under Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:31:07 GMT

Martin van Roon wrote:
> Steen Suder wrote:
> >
> > A friend of mine just bought an Eicon DIVA ISDN 2.01 PCI, which he'd
> > like to use under Linux.
> > As far as I can tell from the documentation in the kernelsource (Linux
> > 2.2.6), the Diva ISDN 2.0 PCI is supported. How about the 2.01?
> >
> > The main difference is that the 2.0 is jumper configured and the 2.01
is
> > software configured.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards / Mvh.,
> > Steen Suder
> > sysadm kollegie6400.dk
> > GNU - makes me feel better! Ehhh, Linux is GNU, right...?
>
> Works for me without a problem.
>
> Martin
can u pls explain how it worked for u??

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: M Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: internal zip-drive failure
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:44:45 -0700

The problem:
  I have two zip drives.  They both
  fail to work on my computer.
  I put the drives on computer #1 and
  they fail, but work fine on
  computer #2.  I swapped hard drives
  between computer #1 and #2, but the
  results are the same.  Thus, I think
  the problem is hardware.

What I have done:
  I have swapped the zips from slave to master
  (adjusting the jumpers on back accordingly).
  No change.

  I have run RH5.0 RH6.0 and dos.
  The zip drives always fail only on computer #1,
  except in dos.

  Pulled out as many pci and isa cards as possible.
  (Leaving just vga and serial and parallel ports.)
  ... just in case the problem was some screwy
  thing involving the peripheral cards

Things I suspect:
  Motherboard?
       (something is stupid with the motherboard?)
  The IDE controller?
       (linux uses something dos does not?)
  Some BIOS/IRQ stuff?
       (perhaps linux/dos differ)

More data (for everyone who likes information overload):
  I have two internal ATAPI NEC zip drives.

  Computer #1 has a FIC VA-503+ motherboard, uses
  the VIA APOLLO MVP3 Chipset.

        | computer 1     computer 2
  -----------------------------------
  rh5.0 |   fail           OK
  rh6.0 |   fail           OK
  dos   |    OK            OK

  The boot up screen:
  Sec. Master Disk : LBA ,Mode 4, 1629MB
  Sec. Slave  Disk : ZIP-100,Mode 0

Typical output from the computer that fails,
from "mount" and "fdisk":

[root@localhost]# mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /zip
hdd: The drive reports both 100663296 and 100646912 bytes as its
capacity
 hdd: hdd1 hdd2 hdd3 hdd4
ide-floppy: hdd: I/O error, pc = 28, key = 5, asc = 21, ascq = 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:44 (hdd), sector 0
FAT bread failed
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
       or too many mounted file systems
hdd: The drive reports both 100663296 and 100646912 bytes as its
capacity
 hdd: hdd1 hdd2 hdd3 hdd4

[root@localhost]# fdisk /dev/hdd

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdd: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 96 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd1   ?   937318   937477  1203315272218546+  20  Unknown
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(356, 97, 46) logical=(937476, 3, 15)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(357, 116, 40) logical=(1203314, 30, 19)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(357, 116, 40) should be (357, 63, 32)
/dev/hdd2   ?   648482   649505   912677269488144   6b  Unknown
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(288, 110, 57) logical=(649504, 0, 11)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(269, 101, 57) logical=(912676, 1, 10)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(269, 101, 57) should be (269, 63, 32)
/dev/hdd3   ?   262490   263179   945973699181456   53  Unknown
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(345, 32, 19) logical=(263178, 26, 16)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(324, 77, 19) logical=(945972, 51, 15)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(324, 77, 19) should be (324, 63, 32)
/dev/hdd4   *   680024   680971   680981    10668+  49  Unknown
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(87, 1, 0) logical=(680970, 34, 16)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(335, 78, 2) logical=(680980, 61, 8)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(335, 78, 2) should be (335, 63, 32)

Command (m for help):

What I haven't done:
  Put the zips on ide0 controller.
  Tracked down the IRQ's under DOS and under linux.
  Swapped in a different motherboard.

Things I don't suspect:
  OS
     (I think linux must be using