Linux-Hardware Digest #793, Volume #14           Sat, 19 May 01 04:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: gravis stinger (Dances With Crows)
  Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode! (The Linux
AntiChrist)
  Re: Suspend-to-RAM on Linux (Dances With Crows)
  Re: I need help. RH7.1 wont configure my ATI Xpert 128 AGP 32 RAM. Log attached
("Gene Heskett")
  Re: A CPU cooler for Linux? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Realtek 8139 adapter under RedHat 5.1 (Jim vh)
  Re: Linux X goes away??? (J Sloan)
  Re: IRQ conflict-- CMD 646 IDE and ESS Maestro 2E (Nader)
  Re: VTech Helio PDA (Ed)
  VooDoo 4 4500 AGP (Jay & Shell)
  Re: NI GPIB on 2.4.3 kernel (David Smith)
  Re:  SGI 1600sw LCD panels on SGI linux 330 system ("Mayte Becker")
  Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode! (Ian Stirling)
  DSL Installation ("vasilis gkanis")
  help with an old toshiba tecra pcmcia ("earthwalker")
  Re: Packard Bell Iconnect 733C (Peter Nunn)
  Re: Realtek 8139 adapter under RedHat 5.1 (Juergen Pfann)
  Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode! ("Gene Heskett")
  Modem ADSL ECI USB ("Sébastien Helleu")
  Re: A CPU cooler for Linux? (Chris Elvidge)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: gravis stinger
Date: 19 May 2001 02:18:44 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 15:00:34 -0500, Chris Schadl staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Apperently as of kernel 2.4.3-ac3, there is now support for the gravis
>stinger serial gamepad.  I've complied support for it as a module under
>2.4.4, however while I am able to load the module without any problems,
>programs which try to use the joystick report that /dev/js0 does not
>exist.  As far as I know, /dev/js0 does exist, as a symlink to
>/dev/input/js0.  Since the gamepad connects to the serial port, is
>there anything special that I need to do to get it running?

modprobe joydev
modprobe serport
inputattach -xxx /dev/tts/X &
modprobe stinger

I have no idea what the options for the inputattach command should be.
There is a website at http://www.suse.cz/development/input/ that should
have the inputattach utility if you don't have it compiled.  (NOTE:  All
this stuff is in /usr/src/linux-2.4.4/Documentation/joystick.txt )

Also make sure that /dev/input/js0 is major 13 and minor 0.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode!
Date: 19 May 2001 02:24:12 GMT

In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I hope you're not referring to me in your 'freeloading' scope.  I paid
> several thousand dollars for the hardware; I don't think its too much
> to ask to be able to control the brightness (which all other vendors
> allow via a hardware knob, btw).

you paid several thousand dollars for hardware which was not made to
work with your particular setup and never made any claims to.  this
illustrates to me that you are a fucking retard.  who cares what
'other vendors' do with their hardware they are not sgi and they did
not make the 1600SW so that point is moot.

what it comes down to is that you are yet another whiny linux motherfucker
who expects and demands everything under the sun work with their particular
cobbled together linux setup.

cheers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Suspend-to-RAM on Linux
Date: 19 May 2001 02:27:40 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 04:19:42 +0000 (UTC), Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah
staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Tue, 15 May 2001 13:31:40 +0000 (UTC), Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah
>>>Is Suspend-to-RAM (STR) supported on Linux?  If it is would appreciate
>>>pointers to the docs.
>>I think the suspend function on most laptops is dependent on the
>>hardware.  For me, a large assortment of kernels, all compiled with
>>APM support, worked with a Thinkpad 380D and a Thinkpad 600X.  The
>>command is "apm -s", but most laptops automagically invoke
>>suspend-to-RAM when the lid is closed.
>I'm using a desktop computer using a motherboard from Microstar model
>number MS-6178 which has suspend-to-ram support.  Does anyone have any
>experience with this board with suspend-to-ram ?

You must have APM support compiled into the kernel, and you must execute
the apm -s command as root.  When I try this on my desktop (Abit KT7
board), the machine appears to go dead, but the power-supply, CPU, and
hard drive fans keep spinning.  You can use hdparm to turn the IDE
drives off, but the power supply and CPU fans may be a little trickier.

What did you try, and what error messages did you get/what happened?

Date: 18 May 2001 21:41:25 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need help. RH7.1 wont configure my ATI Xpert 128 AGP 32 RAM. Log
attached
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to (REMOVE the;

 tE> Hi Gene,
 tE>    I like this fast card since I a dual booting and using Win2k, I did
 tE>    take
 tE> the ATI rage 128 AGP card out and put in my 10 year old (slow)Matrox MGA
 tE> 4 meg PCI card and it freaking worked. I don't understand why this 1 year
 tE> < card wont work.  What do you recommend? give up on this card? is there
 tE> something I can do to get this card to work?

 tE> Thanks
 tE> Rich

Well, given the lifetime of a card in terms of market share might be 6
months, and ATI seems to be thumbing their noses at anything but
winderz, there will no doubt be another, even greater, card that fits
this market niche by the time the driver coders can coax enough info out
of ATI to write a bare bones driver.  But look at the utah leg on
sourceforge, they, or on Xig.com, either might have a working driver
before XFree86 gets around 'tuit'.  Neither XFree86, nor Xig have
anything that works ATM.

I note with a certain amount of glee/trepidation, that Nvidia just
released new linux drivers for most of their current crop of cards, its
on freshmeat in today's listing.

I can't judge the Nvidia drivers as there are no local cards available,
and after my experience in doing email ordering 2 years ago, I druther
buy locally, where when they ask if I "want the warranty too", I can
reply that I'd always figured my bill of sale and my 357 were warranty
enough for me.  :)

It may well be a fast card for the money, but for me, without any
windoze to run it with, its 4 oz of weight I could lose in favor of a
refund.  That was cheerfully given, but I'm not sure I quite understand
Staples return policy.  Instead of running it back thru the heat sealer
and selling it to the next windoze user, it was marked out, bad, and
will be smashed and disposed of, "to prevent some dumpster diver from
bringing it back in for a refund".  For a windoze user, I have serious
doubts thre was anything wrong with that card as long as it was being
driven by their (ATI's) winderz driver.

[...]

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 500mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A CPU cooler for Linux?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:48:54 +0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I noticed that my Windows with Waterfall Pro (CPU cooler software) keep=
> the CPU temperature low. In Linux, it is higher. I thought Linux had a
> CPU cooler code. Did I miss something? I am a Linux newbie, so hopefull=
> I don't have to recompile Kernel :). I am using RedHat Linux v7.1. I
> look forward to receiving replies soon. Thanks!

WYSmaynotbeWYG.  On many systems the temperature sensor is merely "near"
the processor, and the BIOS and/or system software may make an adjustment=

to report the "real" temperature.  Unless you know this is not the case, =
or
unless you know that the Windows and Linux software are both making the
exact same adjustment, then comparing the reported temperatures is
meaningless.  (I use gkrellm to monitor my temperatures, and it supports
adjustments that will let me make it say anything I please.)

I would take reported temperatures as "ballpark", and only worry if that
ballpark number is within 20=B0 C of the processor's rated limit (since t=
he
real temperature may be somewhat higher than the reported temperature), o=
if it suddenly jumps up by a lot from what it usually runs (which may mea=
a fan died).

FWIW, my Athlon runs in the upper 40s C when nearly idle, and rises to th=
upper 50s C when it has been crunching numbers for several hours.  Clearl=
y,
Linux "keeping the CPU temperature low" when idle, or I wouldn't see this=
=2E

Also, I would be curious to know how Waterfall Pro works.  Does it throw =
in
an arbitrary halt now and then, reducing power consumption at the expense=

of perfomance?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Jim vh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Realtek 8139 adapter under RedHat 5.1
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:20:59 GMT

Very frustrating trying to get this adapter to work.

Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

There is a Linux driver on the disk however it is an object file and is
for the  wrong kernel version.

The readme referred me to a Ftp site ; CESDIS ;  which in return
referred me to http://www.scyld.com.

I got the uncompiled drivers for both RTL8139 and Tulip.  I can't get
either of them to compile due to problems with the kern_compat.h file.

Parse error is the first error.

I don't really expect help here, but if you are aware of this issue and
any resolution I would appreciate it.

I am a semi newbie to Linux and used to support Windows NT for a living.

Thanks,

Jim vh

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux X goes away???
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:56:55 GMT

JT wrote:

> Running RH7.0. I never can be assured if Linux is going to come up in X.
> Sometimes it does and somethings its just a blank black screen. When it
> doesn't I have to re-install the who OS over again. Running Matrox Millenium
> G200 8mgs ram.

bzzt, wrong answer - reinstalling may be the
windows way of fixing problems, but it's not
the answer in the Unix world.

Look in the sys logs to find out what is
making the X server unhappy -

> What confuses me, why would it work sometimes and sometimes not?

Flaky hardware?

the log entries will shed more light.

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict-- CMD 646 IDE and ESS Maestro 2E
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:25:44 -0700

There is a reasonable chance that the 2.4.x kernel would fix the problem.
There have been a lot of IDE code changes since 2.2.19.  My modem/UDMA66
conflict in 2.2.16 went away after upgrading to 2.4.3.

From: Ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VTech Helio PDA
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 04:30:04 -0000

Young4ert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought a VTech Helio PDA for ~$50 (after marked down and rebates)
> and am wondering if it is supported under Linux.  TIA.

TIA

I saw you got your answer about the Linux support.  This is a great
price.  Can you tell me where you got this PDA?  I am now researching.
Looks like a good unit.  What has your experience been?

From: Jay & Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VooDoo 4 4500 AGP
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:45:22 -0400

I just bought a VooDoo 4 4500 AGP for $99.00 (CDN).....not bad
I thought..
Since 3dFX is gone, and the generic drivers just plain old suck in
Mandrake 8.0. Can someone help me out?

I installed the card and my boot picked it up right away, but it found
it as a voodoo 5?
So after going to change it, Mandrake only has the option for VooDoo 3
or 5 (Generic)
Now either or 3-5 works with XFree86 4.03.
My question is how do I set it up properly as I know it's not using it's
full potential!

Thanks in advance.....

--
Registered Linux User #192969

------------------------------

From: David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NI GPIB on 2.4.3 kernel
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 04:48:17 GMT

I emailed their tech support about two weeks ago but got no reply.
I am disapointed to see that the drivers are stuck at beta-0.6 for
nearly a year now.  Seems to indicate that nobody is working on
getting the to a released version.

DAve

From: "Mayte Becker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re:  SGI 1600sw LCD panels on SGI linux 330 system
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 01:11:21 -0400

I have a sgi 330 with 2 vr7 sgi cards and 2 1600 monitors and 2 multilink
adapters and just cant get it to work right. I would love to get ahold of
your xfree86 config file - it would be a great help

------------------------------

From: Ian Stirling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 05:31:28 GMT

Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>surely you can't be sued by a NON-EXISTENT company?  if there's info inside
>sgi (and there must be; sgi had sources to NT at one point and probably did
>the driver for that panel when they released their first Wintel Box Thing.
>knowing that sgi customized their NT so much makes it hard to believe that
>no one inside sgi knows the 'brightness protocol'.

Sure you can.

SGI sign non-disclosure-agreement, with #9, in order to develop with it.
#9 goes down the pan.
I at #10, buy the whole company from the liquidators for $57, then
sell the furniture/offices.

But, if SGI want to release specs got under an NDA, they probably need
to get permission from #10.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/    |  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |             Ian Stirling.
===========================+=========================+==========================

------------------------------

From: "vasilis gkanis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL Installation
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 01:45:24 -0700

Hi ,
I installed Redhat 7.1. I have a DSL internal modem. The system recognizes
the modem as unknown ATM network card. The modem is Intel 2100. Do you know
how can I make the modem to work?

Thanks
Vasilis

------------------------------

From: "earthwalker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with an old toshiba tecra pcmcia
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 06:51:45 GMT

Hello all,

I got a used Toshiba Tecra 700ct.  I loaded Mandrake-soft 7.2 with kernel
2.2.19.

Can not get PCMCIA 3com 3c589d 10base T ethernet card to work.  I have gone
the usual PCMCIA-HOWTO and Sourceforge.net.  I have recompiled the kernel as
the HOWTO says I should.  No luck.  It says the Toshiba has a bit of a
problem.  Has anybody figured out how to fix it yet??

Thanks
Earth

------------------------------

From: Peter Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Packard Bell Iconnect 733C
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:00:18 +1000

Just a quick note to let you all know that I got Mandrake 8 running on
this box, no worries.

On the other hand, its just as well I put a NIC into it because when I
opened the box to install it, the fan and heatsink were floating
around in the bottom of the case.  You can imagine how long that would
have lasted if I had just plugged it in and let it rip...

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 adapter under RedHat 5.1
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:51:39 +0200

Jim vh wrote:

> Very frustrating trying to get this adapter to work.
>
> Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

I can't believe this. My RTL8139s (as well the 8029s before)
work for >3 years now. Yes, they're maybe not the fastest NIC's,
but stable most of the time; nothing special, but fairly reliable,
like Volkswagen <bg>.

> There is a Linux driver on the disk however it is an object file and is
> for the  wrong kernel version.

While it's a fine idea in general that people nowadays add Linux
drivers, such as for other OSes, in this case it's unnecessary :
the vanilla 2.2.18+ / 2.4.x kernels give you the choice among
2 different drivers...

> The readme referred me to a Ftp site ; CESDIS ;  which in return
> referred me to http://www.scyld.com.

That shows how old the included driver, or at least the
documentation, must be : AFAIK, Donald Becker left NASA CESDIS
and works at scyld.com (or did he found that ?) for some 2 years
now.

> I got the uncompiled drivers for both RTL8139 and Tulip.  I can't get
> either of them to compile due to problems with the kern_compat.h file.

Tulip driver won't work with your rtl8139, period. There have been
some major changes in the networking code recently. Probably your source
file doesn't really match to the kernel you're using (or trying to
compile ?). I can't help you more with that, because you give us
*far* too less information : kernel version ? distribution ?
version of the source file ? "rtl8139.c" or, "8139too.c" ?
What other HW (Mainboard etc., other PCI devices) ? Does your
NIC show up in BIOS summary ? What about "lspci ?" - Please...

> Parse error is the first error.
>
> I don't really expect help here, but if you are aware of this issue and
> any resolution I would appreciate it.

I wonder why I try to give you the clues then, if you don't expect us
to help.

> I am a semi newbie to Linux and used to support Windows NT for a living.

The former is obvious, the latter irrelevant.
Now let's get serious ;-)   :
I recommend, you first try to load either of the two available modules,
"rtl8139" or "8139too", manually. Beware : that does only apply for
kernel versions > 2.2.18 or 2.4 series, but you didn't tell us that.
For older kernels, it's only the "rtl8139". Hence, you'd try
"/sbin/insmod rtl8139" - and I bet, it works and you can continue
setting up your network...
If that fails, however, why ? Does the appropriate module exist at
all ("find /lib/modules -name '*8139*'") ? Look at /var/log/messages
and / or /var/log/warn for relevant messages ?
If still not lucky, maybe try to build a new kernel with the "standard"
module(s) first.
That is, in /usr/src/linux, issue "make menuconfig" (or, "make xconfig"
if under X).
IMPORTANT : Enable the "experimental" drivers option in "General Setup",
otherwise you won't get the choice of the 8139 driver(s).
Then do "make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install", and that's it.
Again, I bet, at that point it should do.
Enough for this time, and enough for you to check...
But PLZ - _more input_ also !!! And, the linux kernel and its drivers
are extremely well documentated (you might be not used to that as a
M$ "slave") - read that, read that, read that.

Juergen

------------------------------

Date: 19 May 2001 2:25:36 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to The Linux;

>In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I hope you're not referring to me in your 'freeloading' scope.  I paid
>> several thousand dollars for the hardware; I don't think its too much
>> to ask to be able to control the brightness (which all other vendors
>> allow via a hardware knob, btw).

>you paid several thousand dollars for hardware which was not made to
>work with your particular setup and never made any claims to.  this
>illustrates to me that you are a fucking retard.  who cares what
>'other vendors' do with their hardware they are not sgi and they did
>not make the 1600SW so that point is moot.

>what it comes down to is that you are yet another whiny linux motherfucker
>who expects and demands everything under the sun work with their particular
>cobbled together linux setup.

>cheers.

Nah, that wasn't called for.  Immature I think is the word, where you
feel you have to call names mixed with profanity.  In addition to being
childish and over-reacting, you are, in your attempts to represent SGI
in this matter, doing them a serious dis-service.  I trust they will
consider that come monday morning.

Note that generally speaking, I'm on the users side here, and if it
won't do something its supposed to/should do, then he has the ultimate
power, that of publicizing the problems WITH the truth.  And of course
the check can be stopped and the merchandise returned in good condition.

Both of you should keep that in mind in case you want to bring in the
lawyers.

Cheers, Gene

From: "Sébastien Helleu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem ADSL ECI USB
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 09:29:21 +0200

I have an ECI ADSL USB modem.

Someone know if a driver exists for this modem ?
(I'm living in France)

Thanks

----
Sebastien.

  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     web: http://flashcode.free.fr

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 11:43:19 +0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I noticed that my Windows with Waterfall Pro (CPU cooler software) keeps
> > the CPU temperature low. In Linux, it is higher. I thought Linux had a
> > CPU cooler code. Did I miss something? I am a Linux newbie, so hopefully
> > I don't have to recompile Kernel :). I am using RedHat Linux v7.1. I
> > look forward to receiving replies soon. Thanks!
>
> Also, I would be curious to know how Waterfall Pro works.  Does it throw in
> an arbitrary halt now and then, reducing power consumption at the expense
> of perfomance?

FWIW:

http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Hard/waterpro.htm

Waterfall Pro primarily works by throttling your CPU. The program can
directly manage the computer's fan rotation if the power supply gets too
erratic. While laptop users will enjoy getting more out of the batteries
in their laptop, PC users might want to download this program for piece
of mind. Waterfall Pro may be your last line of defense against the
tragedy of a cooked computer.