Linux-Hardware Digest #793, Volume #13           Fri, 27 Oct 00 11:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Configure M$ keyboard (Lucie Zemann)
  scsi aborting command due to timeout (Christoph Pohl)
  Re: D-Link DFE530TX+ NIC problems (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: Linksys still won't work Please help (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: Microstar K7T Master Motherboard? (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: Sun Sparc SBUS ethernet & Linux (Wesley Hosking)
  Serial console problem ("Taechul Lee")
  Re: Newbie Question (Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard (Ken Siersma)
  Recommended Distro for HP-UZ Visualize B132L? (David 'willi' Wilhelm)
  XF86 4.0.1 and USB Wacom Graphire (Debian 2.2, K2.2.17) ("Chris Ripp")
  Promise Ultra100 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. ("Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS")
  Re: Anyone know of a nice, _quiet_ Linux box?
  Re: Looking for external disk drive (bonminh lam)
  Are linux drivers for i810e AMR modems and AC97 sound capabilities in the works?
("mnip")
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (NAVARRO LOPEZ,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel)

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:17:39 +0200
From: Lucie Zemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configure M$ keyboard

Robert Coehoorn wrote:

> Does anybody have experience/know how to configure the M$ keyboard
> natural pro under Linux. I want to use the multimedia keys on this
> keyboard as shortcut keys in X.
> I've installed SuSE 7.0 professional NL.
>
> Thanx
> Robert

try xev, look for keycodes/symbols of the keys and edit .xmodmaprc
and/or /etc/X11/Xmodmap (or whatever the equivalent files on your
system). the keysyms can be mapped to events (eg. in the gnome control
panel, don't know about applications)
i added this to my /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

! windoof keys
keycode 115 = Undo
keycode 117 = Menu

and mapped Undo to gnome's launch "Run Programm" and Menu to pop up
gnome's root-menu.

lu

------------------------------

From: Christoph Pohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi aborting command due to timeout
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:07:55 +0200

first the symptoms, what I get with dmesg is about this:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 32155, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 2e b8 7c 00 00 08 00

I know, there've been similar postings to this ng in the recent past,
one of them suggesting to turn of apic in kernel with append="noapic" in
/etc/lilo.conf. I tried this because I've got a i840 chipset and 2 PIIIs
which can sometimes cause that kind of trouble. Unfortunately, this
wasn't much help.

So, has anybody got an idea what other reason might cause such errors? I
suspect this could be the result of a failed fsck-session because this
failure (accompanied by hdd activity and several seconds of
zero-responsitivity [e.g. mouse hangs]) occures especially when
accessing certain files. I assume the hex code behind the message above
is the track address of the bad block...

Please, could somebody enlighten me?

BFN, Christoph Pohl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE530TX+ NIC problems
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:23:37 -0000

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:16:16 -0400, Henning Pedersen wrote:
>I have been trying several NICs but and finally I got a D-Link DFE530TX+
>which acording to RedHat is 100% compatible by the rt18139.o driver.
>After I installed the NIC it did try to start up the card but I got the
>message "insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/rt18139  :insmod eth0 failed"

I'm gonna assume your driver names are typos? The driver is
rtl8139.o, not rt1...
Any chance any of your init files have the wrong spelling in them?

>0       11331     XTPIC   Timer
>1          89     XTPIC   keyboard
>2           0     XTPIC   cascade
>8           1     XTPIC   rtc
>9           0     XTPIC   intel ICH 82801AA
>11          0     XTPIC   usb-uchi
>12          0     XTPIC   ps/2 mouse
>13          1     XTPIC   fpu
>14      54484     XTPIC   ide0
>15          2     XTPIC   ide1
>NMI         0

Put the card in different slots maybe. I just installed that D-Link
card and it was set to IRQ 12. I don't use a PS/2 mouse and had it
disabled in the BIOS. The card seemed to work fine in Linux but
with BeOS I'd get lockups as soon as I tried to do any net activity.
Put it in another slot (now IRQ 9) and it works fine.
>From the list above you don't have much left.
Assuming you don't want to share any IRQs try different slots
until the card is reported as using IRQ 10 which is all you have left.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.config
Subject: Re: Linksys still won't work Please help
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:23:37 -0000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:39:14 GMT, fimafeng wrote:

>I have RH 7.0, and 2 Linksys(4.1 version) 100 PCI cards. Neither is
>recognized during boot up. (RH doesn't even see the cards to assign an eth0
>or eth1)
>
>And still I can't see either of my Linksys cards. I am running an ABIT BP6
>motherboard and have tried both PNP OS and NON PNP OS without any noticeable
>difference.
>Can someone please tell me what I need to do next or why I'm getting the
>messages above?

Not sure about the unresolved symbols. Did you configure your kernel
before building the drivers? Usually that's required for building
drivers outside the kernel source (I think).

Once that's fixed you'll probably need to load pci-scan.o before
the tulip driver.
  modprobe pci-scan
  modprobe tulip

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: Microstar K7T Master Motherboard?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:23:38 -0000

On 19 Oct 2000 16:03:13 +0200, Jason T. Breitweg wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Well it is almost time that I get a new computer.  This time around I
>would like to get a new Athlon 900Mhz Thunderbird CPU.  In my search
>for a cool motherboard for this chip I came across the Microstar K7T
>Master which I would like to get with the built in U160 SCSI chip.
>Does anyone out there have experience with this board?

Don't know about that board. I have the older K7 Pro Slot-A
model, no onboard sound.
Might find some info at the Linux Hardware Database.

http://lhd.zdnet.com/

>P.S. what are the chance of getting the DirectSound AC'97 chip on the
>motherboard to work under Linux?

I just read a message where it seems that chip probably isn't supported
well under the 2.2 kernels.
I'd try and see if they have that model motherboard without the
onboard sound if possible.

Marc

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: Re: Sun Sparc SBUS ethernet & Linux
From: Wesley Hosking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Oct 2000 11:44:51 +0930

Christopher Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know which SBUS ethernet cards (e.g. for Sparc 5, LX, etc)
> > are supported by Linux/Sparc?
> >
> > --
> > | Phil Howard - KA9WGN | My current websites: linuxhomepage.com, ham.org
> > | phil  (at)  ipal.net +----------------------------------------------------
> > | Dallas - Texas - USA | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hello,
>
>     I believe that Linux/Sparc will only support the on-board ethernet card. (I
> took a SS20 that ran fine under Solaris but Linux would not recognize the
> second NIC).

I have two Ultras (one is SBUS, the other PCI ) both have multiple
ethernet cards and working fine.  The other cards should work fine in older
hardware although I haven't confirmed it directly.

wes

------------------------------

From: "Taechul Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial console problem
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:31:04 +0900

I setup serial console on Redhat 6.2 and I got messages from remote computer
with serial cable.
It start with Linux : .... end with login :.
But I can't stroke any key to send a command to remote computer. In
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt, it is possible to send a
command and login with remote console, but i can't.

I modify /etc/lilo.conf
=====================
serial=0,38400n8
appenc="console=ttyS0,38400"
=====================
and lilo -v
and rm -f /dev/console /dev/tty0
and rm -f /etc/ioctl.save

What is my problem..? Anyone can use serial console..?
Thanks in advance

--
regards,

Tae-Chul Lee
ICQ#50985328
Dept. of Chem. Eng.    TEL : 822-929-9613, 6250
Korea University       FAX : 822-926-6102
1-Anam, Sungbuk-ku,    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Seoul 136-701 Korea    http://prosys.korea.ac.kr/~tclee
Chance is a word void of sense;
nothing can exist without a cause.             - Voltaire
í­èØ ùÊì»ãÁã§ñý ÝÕæ²Õ¥ûº

------------------------------

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:41:40 +0200

Kevin C Reeves schrieb:

> I recently obtained Red Hat Linux 7.0 and have been semi-successful
> in my attempt to install it.  The problem is that I am unable to
> install in graphical mode.  My machine formerly had Windows 95 as its
> OS.  When I choose to install in graphical mode the installation
> program still runs in text mode.  I never get any message about Linux
> not being able to recognize my video card, nor do I get the option
> to choose Gnome or KDE.  When the install is complete I am running
> the text version of Linux and the startx command is not recognized.
> Any ideas on what the problem is?

ever ran xconfig?
you have to choose a x-server, which is the graphics engine in a way. kde
and stuff need it, and it has to be configured to fit your card.i dont
know the commands for xconfig, for i got suse 6.3
which comes with a setup tool called sax.
with sax i had to do

sax --server<the_server_for_my_videocard>

xconfig is quite similar, AFAIK, but read some manuals before.
try to find out if you got all the x-related packages installed.

i don't know, hopefully anyone else can help you, be patient, it really
pays.

butch;-)

------------------------------

From: Ken Siersma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:21:30 +0000

Hello,
A couple of months ago we bought a dual 850 Pentium III on a VIA chipset
(not sure if it was 694).  We got the system running without any trouble,
but when we ran benchmarks, it performed the same as our old 500 MHz
pentium machines.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Ken

------------------------------

Subject: Recommended Distro for HP-UZ Visualize B132L?
From: David 'willi' Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:47:28 GMT

Can anyone please provide me with a recommended distro for HP-UX hardware,
specifically a Visualize B132L HP-UX workstation.  I would like to know why
you suggest this particular distribution if possible, but I will settle for
just a URL  ;)

Thanks in advance.

Willi

--
Remove the extra .com from my email address to contact me.
--

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: XF86 4.0.1 and USB Wacom Graphire (Debian 2.2, K2.2.17)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:12:28 -0500

OK, some details first:
Debian 2.2, with XF86 4.0.1 installed from .debs, this part is working....
Kernel 2.2.17 w/ USB backport installed, looks like this is working as well.
Graphire lights up and judging by this output:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 19:50:44 Oct 26 2000
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: Intel USB controller: setting latency timer to 0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver wacom
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
input0: Wacom Graphire on usb1:2.0

...it's installed and probably(?) working. (modules wacom,input,usb-uhci and
usb-core all show up in lsmod, is 'input' really needed here?)

I've changed my XF86Config files according to the instructions located here:
http://www.pxh.de/fs/graphire.  I installed the pre-compiled (for 4.0 not
4.0.1) module driver they've got there.  That *could* be the problem.
Re-compiling all of X isn't something I want to do just to get this going.
Unfortunately my XFree86.log.0 is full of this type of thing (repeat ad
infinitum, usually adds when I touch the pen to the pad, so something's
happening):

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event0
        No such device.
Error opening /dev/input/event0 : Unknown error 1023
(==) GraphireUSB invalid threshold 0. Reset to 0
(==) GraphireUSB invalid threshold 0. Reset to 0
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event0
        No such device.
:

It shows the XF driver module loading and all the subsequent devices seem to
init without incident. *shrug*

Now, I created /dev/input and did 'mknod /dev/input/event0 c 16 63'  I
couldn't find any instructions for creating this device file, so I went off
some instructions I found for creating /dev/input/mice I found somewhere
else.  Maybe I got the device numbers wrong? dmesg reports that it's
installing the wacom at 'input0', should I have a /dev/input0/ or maybe a
/dev/input/input0 or something.  The instructions aren't clear about the
device files needed.  I'm almost positive this is where the problem lies.

I don't have the usbd running as part of the boot process yet.  I've been
doing this by hand after boot, but *before* installing all the usb modules
w/ modprobe.  usbd appears to be creating /proc/bus/usb and all the stuff in
there looks good. (example: /proc/bus/usb/devices: )

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
S:  SerialNumber=d000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=056a ProdID=0010 Rev= 1.11
S:  Manufacturer=WACOM
S:  Product=ET-0405-UV1.1-1
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 40mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=wacom
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl= 10ms

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this puppy so I can use it in the
GIMP!! :)  If it's a problem with the XF driver module I'm installing I'll
just wait for a newer version to happen, otherwise it's gotta be something
really simple!!

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Promise Ultra100
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:06:01 GMT

I have a Promise Ultra100 controller - which is detected fine during
boot, but only enables PIO mode. Now I wonder, how to activate DMA ?
I am running a 2.2.17 kernel with the appropiate ide patch.
For some reason, the patch does not offer me the Ultra100 (thought it
should be supprorted), just the Ultra66 (which I do not have selected).
I also wonder, wether the patch is needed at all then.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:18:18 -0500

[snip]
> If you don't want linux, no loss of yours - just buy the CD (which you
will
> not get if you
> buy preinstalled), and slip it into the drive.
I got the CD's with my Dell preinstalled Linux server

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Anyone know of a nice, _quiet_ Linux box?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:30:31 -0000

On 26 Oct 2000 22:47:48 -0700, Stephen R. Savitzky
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a VALinux system under my desk at work at the moment -- very nice
> machine, but the fans are LOUD.  Anyone know of a place that makes
> x86-based Linux boxen that don't make a lot of noise?

Check out this link regarding buying or making a quiet machine:

   http://www.7volts.com/quiet.htm

I replaced my power supply and case fans with pc power and cooling's
"silencer" fan, not truly silent, but nice.

------------------------------

From: bonminh lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for external disk drive
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:49:33 +0200

That is really rich information already for me to start with. Thanks a
lot. For the sake of easiness, I might go with external IDE drive as
that's is what I have already.

--
To reply to me via email, please substitute the text no_spam with
mailbox in the return address.

------------------------------

From: "mnip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Are linux drivers for i810e AMR modems and AC97 sound capabilities in the
works?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:01:40 GMT

I'd like to work with low-cost i810e motherboards for some linux terminals I
have to build. I do see mention of i810 support from OSS (is i810e any
different?), and intel has the accelerated X-server
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/linuxsoftware.htm,
but what about the AMR modem?

I was hoping that since this was now such a common piece of hardware,
someone had found a way to make that particular 'winmodem' a 'linmodem'.

Its important for my project because I have to factor the cost and expansion
slot of a modem in or out, based on the availability of linux 810 drivers.

Thanks for any info.

------------------------------

From: NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:45:25 +0200

Jason wrote:

> True, but we have to remember that the vast majority of users were weaned on
> Windows of one sort of another.  While Windows  has a "few" quirks to it,
> for the most part its much more user friendly and less intimidating then
> Linux/Unix can be.

Well, it's an opinion... defeated by the facts!!!  About being less
intimidating, it migth be true, and this only demonstrates people tends
to fear what ignore, but it is not more user friendly: most Win users
have their computers down or with mangled functionallity most of the
time and most Win users search for help (either proffesional or from
this "friend of mine who knows soooo much about computers) as soon as
have to do something just a bit more difficult than to run a setup
program, so where user friendliness goes?  To my knowledge all Win gives
is a false sensation of easiness that lasts long enough to buy a lisence
and so forth being tighted to it for the ages to come.  The *true* is
that once the OS is installed (and don't forget this step is avoided by
Win users since OS comes preinstalled: I would want to know how easy win
seemed if it came on a CD with a non even formated hard disk, or if the
first step to install win were repartition the hard disk just to gain
space for it) Linux is more user friendly by far as the Linux user
community show by itself: they are more friend of their comp's OS than
those from Windows.

SALUD,
Jesús
***
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
***

------------------------------

From: NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:35:03 +0200

> Arctic Storm wrote:
>
> > fuctional
> > tool.  That's what a computer should be; a functional tool to increase
> > productivity.  Too much time/effort is required to use Linux.  However,
> > Win2K is just as stable, but easy and user-friendly.  How much is my time
> > worth?  How much is Win2K?  Win2K starts to seem pretty attractive,...

What's the problem, then? Go with Win2K

--
SALUD,
Jesús