Linux-Hardware Digest #772, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 20:14:19 EST

Contents:
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Richard Steiner)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything (G. Franklin McCullough)
  Re: Sound Blaster Live (Vedran Vrbanc)
  Re: SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels? (Bradley Yen)
  Re: Xwindows with triddent TGUI9440 (Wasim Juned)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (Bill Anderson)
  Re: VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX (Antioch)
  Re: error trying to edit kernel (Wasim Juned)
  Re: installing/using an old IBM tape drive ("Henry C. Barta")
  Re: Laptop Battery in Linux ("Henry C. Barta")
  Re: Scanning-HOWTO (Gary Momarison)
  Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250 (Subbarao Varigonda)
  Re: setting linux up to use different IRQ for my modem? (Duane Elmer Smeckert)
  Re: Need help with my Ethernet Card!!!!! (Jeff Shern)
  Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive... (Jack Frillman)
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X (Bradley Yen)
  Re: Large (1MB) writes ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Matthias Warkus)
  Which souncard to buy? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ATI Rage 128 X server (Simon Middleton)
  Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card (Eric Peers)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (mike)
  Re: Problems with SB PCI64 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux on a Celeron? (Jeff Shern)
  Re: Dual Pentium II support. (Phil Brutsche)
  Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard? (Rob Komar)
  Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard? (Allen)
  Re: Modems for Linux and Unix? ("Tim and Rachel (Buffy's people)")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:12:08 GMT

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

>It doesn't matter a hill of beans how technically superior your OS is
>if there are no applications for it that the general public want to
>use.

Sorry, that's not always correct.

It's all context-dependent, since everyone's requirements are usually
different, and anyone saying that one OS or another is best for all
situations is probably selling something.

>Vi, And EMacs and ppp-on, ppp-off, and slrn and tin an trn and tetris
>and ispell and on and on and on don't cut it when you have a plethora
>of Windows applications that blow the doors off the Linux crap...

Perhaps true in some instances, but if you're in a situation where you
need to create things which are heavily scripted, which need to be able
to interoperate with many other environments, or which need to be rock-
solid stable, then Windows is hardly an optimal solution, either.

IMhO, slrn beats any Windows newsreader I've used.  But my requirements
are probably different from yours.

Besides, most of the applications you're likely to put foreward as good
reasons to use Windows would also work just as well under Linux if the
ISVs would write native Linux versions.

>Users are NOT interested in going back to the 1970's....

What does that have to do with Linux?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough)
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:15 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:51:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough) wrote:
>> I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
>> modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
>> to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
>> to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
>> certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
>> through this problem.
>> thanks,
>>

>I have a V.Everything, also upgraded via the official USR Windows95 software
>and it connects to my ISP at 40.0 nearly every time using the V.90 protocol.
>
>It is difficult to see the connect speed in Windows.  Relying on the system
>tray to tell you is not exactly accurate.  Note that 52000 is roughly twice
>your 26400 rate.  That could be a clue that you're not dialing in as fast as
>you expect.
>
>Of course, you could have done all this research already yourself and I could
>be going on and on about stuff you already know, but I just thought I'd put
>in my two cents.
>
>Good luck,
>Paul.

Thanks for the help Paul.  As to the connection speed in Linux it is
noticeable slower than windows even if the windows tray does not give
exactly the right speed.  Using wvdial in Linux it shows that I am not
in V90 or X2 mode so I am not sure exactly what is going on.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vedran Vrbanc)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:13 GMT

In article <7chh4f$g19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> creative labs announced some weeks ago they'll hire a programmer to develop
> drivers for linux. so we have to wait till the next millenium... :-(

no... just until july-august... so they said.

--
"The universe is like a safe
to which there is a combination --

------------------------------

From: Bradley Yen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:17 GMT

I didn't have any problems getting my SB128 to be reconized (I'm a newbie using
Linux Mandrake 5.3 distribution).

I've upgrade my kernel to 2.2.3 from the initial 2.036 that was installed.  I
run sndconfig to setup the soundcard on my system.  Sndconfig reconized that I
had a soundcard in my system, but it didn't know which one.  I had to manually
select the es1370 soundcard driver from the list it gave.

If you're using sndconfig, it says you should compile your kernel with sound as
modules.

--
Bradley Yen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / ICQ# 804442
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/9375

------------------------------

From: Wasim Juned <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindows with triddent TGUI9440
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:23 GMT

Olivier Thériault wrote:

> i just wanna know if someone here could do more then 8bpp in 800x600
> with a trident TGUI9440 :/ i'v try on slackware 3.6 (with the lastest
> X11 version...) thanks for you'r help

Yes - up to 16bpp can be done.

--
Wasim Juned

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:32 GMT

Chris Tremblay wrote:

> If you think that you had privacy before this, boy you live in a
> bubble. Look at cell phones, ISPs, Credit card companies, Banks.
>
> Cell phone companies can tell what block you are standing on and what
> you are saying. This info is accessible by police.

Come back from the sci-fi channel, and rejoin reality.

> ISP companies can log every email that you send out and where you
> visit on the net.

can != do
Most *ISP*s don't give a rip to track you unless they are given reason
to.
Do you have any idea what kind of storage would be required to track all
that.
get a grip.

> Credit card companies have logs of what you buy and where you buy it.
> They can sell this to other companies

For those that use credit cards this is rather obvious.

> Banks are in  the same situation as credit card companies, especially
> if you have debit card access.
> Privacy is a nonissue. It is more of can you accept that this is
> there.

Spoken like a true tyrant.

------------------------------

From: Antioch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIPER 550 TNT IN LINUX
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:33 GMT

Update your XFree86 to version 3.3.3.1 and there's support for the Riva TNT. I
have my CL TNT card running in linux at 1024x768 and 32 bit colours.

-DS

------------------------------

From: Wasim Juned <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error trying to edit kernel
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:37 GMT

Larry Robbins wrote:

> I'm trying to configure my kernel (2.0.36) to support my d-link
> DFE-530TX. when i try to 'make config' I get the error:
>
> 'no rule to make target 'config'. Stop.'
>
> does anyone know how to fix this problem? Anyone successfully setup a
> d-link DFE-530TX card? any help would be appreciated.

This doesn't have much to do with this card.
Check that you have all your kernel sources in your directory.

--
Wasim Juned

From: "Henry C. Barta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing/using an old IBM tape drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:39 GMT

Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: There's not much help on SCSI tape drives, because it is so simple.

    Not so simple if you don't realize that you have to have SCSI tape
    support built into the kernel. (or available as a module.) Then
    something like "mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind" should work. I know there's
    some way to define the 'default' tape device for Linux, but it's
    always been quicker for me to specify the device.

: Oh, be sure you've got your cabling and "termination" situation
: correct.  This is a MAJOR source of SCSI problems.

    Yes, also *very* important.

--
Hank Barta                              White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: "Henry C. Barta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Laptop Battery in Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:41 GMT

Scot E. Wilcoxon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: xosview can also display battery level
: after APM is installed.

    And depending on the portable, 'cat /proc/apm' might
    display something like:
        "1.7 1.2 0x03 0x01 0x00 0x01 100% -1 ?"
    which tells me that I'm at 100%. (Incidentally, no 'apmd'
    is needed, and I find that if I run it on my Thinkpad, it
    interferes with hibernation.)

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanning-HOWTO
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:38 GMT

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/scanning.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Subbarao Varigonda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:13:01 GMT

hi!

I am trying to get an Iomega Zip 250 parallel port drive working on a
Redhat 5.2 linux system.

I followed the instructions in the Zip-Drive Howto. I got the imm
driver, compiled the kernel with support for SCSI, SCSI disk and
modular lp support.

When I try to insmod imm, it only outputs (from /var/log/messages)
=========================
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Version 0.18
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 03bc
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0378
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     SPP port present
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     PS/2 bidirectional port present
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     EPP 1.7
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0278
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi0 : Iomega ZIP Plus drive
Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi : 1 host.
=========================

It detected the drive but it's not available as any device. I tried to
mount /dev/sda* (each of them, separately). But i get error message that
it does not correspond to a block device and the reason may be that the
driver is not loaded.

According to the Howto, insmod imm should also output to which device
file (sda0 -- sda4) the drive is mapped. But in my case, it does not tell me
the device name.

My kernel version is 2.0.36.

I tried running insmod imm from /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is executed
after all the rc scripts. I also tried insmod imm by stopping lpd daemon.
It didn't make any  difference.

I have seen postings on this group saying they got Zip 250 working perfectly
in linux. I will greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

-subbarao
Subbarao Varigonda      Present Address
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~      -----------------

[EMAIL PROTECTED]    1209, 8thSt SE         Box#144, 11 Amundson Hall
                         Minneapolis, MN 55414  University of Minnesota
                         USA                    Minneapolis, MN 55455
                         ph:(612) 617-8891      ph: (612) 625-3367

From: Duane Elmer Smeckert <"elmer at"@ ptw dot. com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: setting linux up to use different IRQ for my modem?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:45 GMT

But in a nutshell, assuming that your modem is on
IRQ5 (don't try IRQ2) you can change the
IRQ using 'setserial' (Read the fantasic man page)

After you get it figured out the correct command line
and are sure you are running under minicom,
you can add the change to the rc.serial init script.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with my Ethernet Card!!!!!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:47 GMT

Is this a KTC2000 card? or A KTC20 card? (it says on the top edge of the card if
you look at it)
I have not set one of these up under linux, but I am very farmiliar with these
cards because I work in a computer lab (which uses win95, what a shame...) which
uses just Kingston cards. For the ISA cards we usually just use NE2000
compatable drivers. As I remember, linux does support the NE2000. This will
probably work.

If that doesn't work, try the Tulip driver, I hear it is very flexible in this
respect.

--
Please Make Sure You Are Sending Mail To [EMAIL PROTECTED] to ensure the
fastest reply to your e-mail messages.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Frillman)
Subject: Re: But, but...I have an Internal IDE Zip Drive...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:49 GMT

Thomas Lepkowski ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: All the books talk about SCSI drives and parallel port drives, but I
: have an internal IDE Zip drive.  Not SCSI, no parallel port connection.
: What gives?

: Is there anybody out there who can help me with installing an internal
: IDE Zip drive?

There is nothing to do.
It looks like an IDE Hard Drive.
The onlything you may have to so is put an entry for it in your /etc/fstab.

--

                         \   /
                          \ /
                          | /
                        --  --

------------------------------

From: Bradley Yen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:21 GMT

That's what I'm using... a CL Graphics Blaster TNT.  It works, but you
need to update XFree86 to 3.3.3.  Red Hat 5.25 ships with XFree86 3.3.2.
If you go to the www.redhat.com you can find the updates.

If you're planning on running KDE as your desktop manager; might I suggest
trying Linux Mandrake.  It's basically Red Hat 5.2 with KDE 1.1
installed.  Mandrake comes with XFree86 3.3.3.1 so you will be up and
running without having to do any updates.  I found Mandrake easy to
install and setup (it was just as easy as RH5.2); I grabbed the .iso
cd-rom image off of the Mandrake site and burnt my own cd-rom to install.

Here's suggestion for installing if you get Mandrake --- when you go to
install, select expert install - I noticed that if you don't select expert
install, when you start KDE you don't have the non-KDE X-applications
listed in their startup menu.

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:50 GMT

Michael Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7cjeo2$6eo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Are there any drivers to do large (1MB) tape read and write? The limit
> in 2.0.xx was ~64k, but if we can't do at least 1MB, we're stuck with
> Solaris.

        Why not modify the original or write your own;  that is, after all, one of
the most important things about Open Source, n'est pas?

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:52 GMT

It was the Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:43:53 GMT...
..and Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[schnibble]
> By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.
> It was a stupid comment on my part anyhow :(

Steve, thanks. You just refreshed my belief in reason in a major way.

mawa
--
Q: Why do bagpipers walk when they play?
A: They're trying to get away from the noise.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Which souncard to buy?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:53 GMT

I am a newbie to Linux and I must say that Linux (SuSE 6.0) is very easy to
use and very straight forward.  My present soundcard (PCI -- Generic Yamaha
724) is not recognized at all.  I understand that SuSE 6.0 comes with OSS,
but how do I install it.  I was told that Linux works better with ISA
soundcards versus PCI soundcards. I was told to get a Soundblaster 32/64 AWE.
Any suggestions?

Please help. :-(

Linux Man!@!

From: Simon Middleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage 128 X server
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:55 GMT

I've seen a few people ask about running X on this card and I've some
information and some questions.

Xi Graphics, Inc. have very recently added support for Rage 128 based cards
to their X server range. It's in update 1 to the 5.0 version of the server.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that their servers cost real money - $100 in the US or UKP
75+VAT from a reseller over here.

Now from their web site the main benefits appear to be generally improved
performance - presumably maximum use of the cards on board acceleration,
stability and ease of configuration.

So the question is, is the performance benefit noticeable? Say when running
1280x1024 @ 32bit. And are there other benefits to their server?

Also I guess does anyone have an idea when XFree86 will gain support for
Rage 128 (weeks, months, next millenium ?)

Other possibly useful information to those interested. Metro have said they
are supporting the card but don't have a date yet. There is a demo version of
the XiG server (just under 6Mb) available at

 http://www.xig.com/Pages/DemoDownloadPage.html

Simon.
--
Simon Middleton, Principal Software Engineer, Custom Engineering
Element 14 Ltd                                Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725576

------------------------------

From: Eric Peers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:56 GMT

I ran the STB velocity 128 at 1280x1024 and 16bpp without any troubles.
I can toss you the XF86Config file if you like.

I used the standard redhat 5.1 installation of xf86 to accomplish it.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:58 GMT

My rental building complex wants to save money and not fix
the intercom and door buzzer. They want to hijack all the
phone lines in the building and run them through
a general intercom-buzzer system. When some one rings I will
be bounced off line. Who knows what else they can decide
to do with those lines.
  Do people have any rights of privacy any more.!
  I heard that police agencies can follow a suspect until
they somehow leave a trace of their DNA and take it. Like
a glass or plate or knife or fork in a restaurant or a hair.
or from a napkin or tissue. What if you happen to
throw some gum in a public garbage can or spit. Soon you
whole genetic info like health prognosis is open to anyone
like prespective employers .......
        Where will it all end???
                                Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problems with SB PCI64
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:09 GMT

1) For God's sake, turn off the spurious Ctrl-Ms in your postings (are you
creating the files on a Microsloth box and then posting from a Unix
system?).

2) Yes, it does look like you have an IRQ conflict.  PCI cards are supposed
to work all this out without any help from the OS.  Its all done by the
BIOS.  Check your BIOS settings, and see if they are forcing some sort of
contention.

Sorry that I can't be more help.

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am not aware of any views shared by myself and my employers.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:11 GMT

"Dr. Stephen S. Kerr" wrote:

> disk copies.  Finally I reduced the clock speed from 450 MHz to 300 MHz
> and the problem disappeared.  I repeated the experiment with Caldera
> OpenLinux and the results were the same.  Win95 didn't show any problems
> at either clock speed (not that one can be sure there weren't any).
>
> Moral?  Be careful about overclocking.

As you probably know (but I'll state it anyways), a lot of these problems can be
caused by over heating. If you over clock, you system is running hotter... From
my experience, I have found that over clocking causes a lot of heat which causes
errors similar to the ones that you were experiencing, and another fan can often
help cool things down.

But I do agree 110%    Be careful about overclocking.

------------------------------

From: Phil Brutsche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II support.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:13 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Andrea Borsic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy a fast machine for scientific calculation pourposes.
> For some constraints I'm looking to an Intel platform, so I cannot go
> Alpha.
>
> The idea is to buy a dual pentium II machine ( Dell Workstaion series
> 210 ).
>
> The problem is this: will Linux support this machine?
Quite easily; however, I would recommend that you upgrade to 2.2.x (it has
better SMP support than 2.0.x)

> What matherboard chipset/BIOS is supported for SMP?
Only Intel chipsets do SMP compatible with Linux/i386 - If you get a BX
motherboard you would be in good shape.

Phil Brutsche           [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Microsoft:  "Where do you want to to today?"
Linux:  "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:
: I recently stumbled across the Intel DK440LX motherboard which
: provides dual pII capability, onboard SCSI, sound and ethernet.  Best
: of all they can be had as cheap as $130!  This almost seems to good to
: be true -- somebody pinch me please!
:
: I'm pretty sure the SCSI is supported in Linux since it uses the
: Adaptec 7895 chipset, but I'm less sure about the ethernet and
: "Soundblaster Compatable" sound.  Has anyone used this motherboard?
: What have your experiences been with it?

I have one, and all of the onboard doohickeys are supported in
recent kernels.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:16:06 GMT

You are aware that this is an "LX" chipset motherboard?  (if you were going to
run slower P2's or Celerons, it would be fine, but it won't do the 100 Mhz FSB,
of the 350+ P2's) -- All else should be fine, and I'm looking at getting one or
more of these for an experiment with SMP modifications on Celerons. As far as I
have seen, all of the rest of the hardware on the board is reasonably well
supported.

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:17:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I recently stumbled across the Intel DK440LX motherboard which
>provides dual pII capability, onboard SCSI, sound and ethernet.  Best
>of all they can be had as cheap as $130!  This almost seems to good to
>be true -- somebody pinch me please!
>
>I'm pretty sure the SCSI is supported in Linux since it uses the
>Adaptec 7895 chipset, but I'm less sure about the ethernet and
>"Soundblaster Compatable" sound.  Has anyone used this motherboard?
>What have your experiences been with it?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>-p.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: "Tim and Rachel (Buffy's people)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems for Linux and Unix?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:26 GMT

Pete H wrote:

> Black Blade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >If you have a modem running successfully under Linux I
> > wouldn't mind getting the brand and model #.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated
> > Thank You
> >

> I'm running a USR external (the one that says it needs windows).  External
> modems, by definition, are hardware based modems, so linux won't have any
> problems with it.
>
> Pete

A great page to visit to learn about what modems work w/Linux is:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html.  Many, many modems are
listed. Hopefully this helps you.  Tim