Linux-Hardware Digest #772, Volume #10           Thu, 15 Jul 99 16:13:46 EDT

Contents:
  Discontinuation of product 15791 (ollivier civiol)
  Re: support for Asus 3400 RIVA tnt? ("gm")
  Re: office intranet (Roy Grimm)
  linux & palm pilot (lemmer)
  Re: Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2 (Kristin Aanestad)
  Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2 (EKK)
  Sounblaster PCI64V alias ES1373 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Getting printer, sound working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: X on Compaq Laptop (jeff)
  Re: Printing with GIMP ? (Vasiliy)
  Re: Problem of keyboard with frame buffer (Fred Farleigh)
  Help- DAT won't eject (Eric Remy)
  PIII Xeon 500MHz (EKK)
  Help: RedHat6.0 doesn't recognize internal trackpoint (Bin Zhao)
  ethernet suggestions (Declan)
  Adaptec Adapter/Redhat 6.0 problems (Jerry Craker)
  SONY SDT-7000 SCSI Tape problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ethernet suggestions (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: okipage 4w window printer support ("Petr Hlavka")
  Some Sun Sparc questions (Roy Grimm)

From: ollivier civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Discontinuation of product 15791
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:27:38 GMT

===============_4D48012614C408D6D508

Please stop accepting paiments for : Avigo SpreadSheet, item #15791
The product is discontinued
Thanks you.

===============_4D48012614C408D6D508

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <TITLE>Discontinuation of product 15791</TITLE>
        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.1 (Linux)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"19990715;19261200">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"ollivier civiol">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"19990715;19272900">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Hello,</P>
<P>Please stop accepting paiments for : Avigo SpreadSheet, item #15791</=

<P>The product is discontinued</P>
<P>Thanks you.</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

===============_4D48012614C408D6D508==

------------------------------

From: "gm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]  REMOVE NOSPAM to reply>
Subject: Re: support for Asus 3400 RIVA tnt?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:43:00 GMT

uses XFree86 SVGA server, version 3.3.3.1 or later.  Also
nVidia has an X server on their web site.

regards,
gm

------------------------------

From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: office intranet
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:52:06 -0500

Michael Meissner wrote:

> Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > As far as hubs go, just about anything will work for you.  The hub
> > doesn't directly interact with the operating system of a computer, it
> > just distributes packets across the network.  So any ethernet hub will
> > work with Linux.  I'd stay away from the really cheap hubs but any
> > midrange hub should suit you.  Expensive hubs are only worthwhile if
> > you're going to use all of the added features they give you.
>
> Not necessarily.  At one point I had computers in my bedroom and downstairs in
> the 'storage' room in the basement, and two cheap 100/10 hubs interconnected.
> Note, the distance between the two hubs was coming close to 100 feet.  I found
> I had to reset the hubs daily, and at times 2-3 times/day.  I eventually bought
> two 3Com office connect dual speed hubs, and never had a problem after that
> until I moved all of the computers down into the basement.

I had that problem with some cheap hubs when I was a sysadmin (many
moons ago).  I upgraded to some midrange hubs and that cleared up the
problem.  Of course, I didn't have any cable runs much over 50 feet and
I was able to avoid running wires near any flourescent lights or
electric motors (two big sources of interference).  Longer runs are
subject to more inductive line noise.  That is a consideration to take
into account.  I'd say try it with the midrange hubs.  If you don't like
it, most stores offer at least a 2-3 day return policy.  You can always
return it and get a better one.

> > I would recommend getting a hub with more ports that you think you'll
> > need.  It's quite common to add computers, printers, fax servers, etc.
> > to a network as time goes on.  Having the room to grow will save you
> > some frustration in the long run.
>
> Yep.  And go for the 100/10 hubs that autosense too.

Good call.  I haven't done any 100Mbps ethernet yet so I completely
glanced over that point.

> --
> Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
> PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      phone: 978-486-9304     fax: 978-692-4482

Roy Grimm

------------------------------

From: lemmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux & palm pilot
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:10:53 +0200

Hi! I am using a 3com palm pilot. But I didnīt find a way so far to
connect it to my Linux-PC. Does anyone know about a solution?

------------------------------

From: Kristin Aanestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:20:00 +0000

EKK wrote:

> I have to set up Linux on somebody's machine which has this
> video card:
>
>    Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
>
> Is this card currently supported in XFree86?

Somewhat supported, but the 3D engine isn't.
However, nVidia themselves have published a Linux driver for the
TNT series.

http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html

You will also want the MesaGL and MesaGLUT rpm's - to be found on the
PowerTools CD from RedHat or - perhaps the better choise - at their ftp
site and mirrors under the PowerTools section of RH6

nVidia provide full descriptions of how to go about with the install.
Not exactly a "1 minute install" but it works :)

K.

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:32:38 -0700

I have to set up Linux on somebody's machine which has this
video card:

   Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2

Is this card currently supported in XFree86?

thanks,

AG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sounblaster PCI64V alias ES1373
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:12:05 GMT

Hi,

I bought the above card by mistake because I knew that PCI64 worked, I
knew a ESS1370/1371 driver was to be used but when I came home I
realized the chip is ES1373, not the two above.

Is there any way to make this working???

Thanks for any hint

Jindra [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Getting printer, sound working
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:34:39 GMT

You should be able to get your lexmark working by visiting this page:
http://bimbo.fjfi.cvut.cz/~paluch/l7kdriver/

OSS for sound might work -- www.opensound.com, but also checkout the
sound how-to (should be in your /usr/docs/ dir).

edward

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Nick Tyrrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have two printers attached to my PC:
>
> LPT1:    Minolta PagePro 6L
> LPT2:    Lexmark 1100
>
> I have SuSE 6.1 installed.  Neither printer seems to be supported in
YaST.

> Any hints on how to get at least one of these working?
>
> Also, I have a cheapo SB-compatible (it says here, although it uses
its own
> drivers under Win98) sound card.  I can find very little in the SuSE
manual
> about getting a sound card set up (other than "it's not
straightforward").

--
Edward Grossman
dump NOSPAM to reply

From: jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: X on Compaq Laptop
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:23:40 -0500

Did you try xvidtune?

------------------------------

From: Vasiliy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing with GIMP ?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:27:08 GMT

Vasiliy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: ollivier civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: : My printer is installed under linux as LP, every program prints no
: : problem but GIMP won't see the printer and will only print on file ???

: : What can I do to make GIMP print ?

: This is really easy.  Gimp generates a postscript file, which you can send
: directly to a postscript printer.  If you don't have a postscript printer,
: there is a software which will render the ps file and print it on a regular
: printer.  The software you need is called ghostscript and ghostview or
: gsview.  You can obtain it from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

I was thinking about jbl software and writing about gimp...  Time to go on
vacation ;)  Sorry for the confusion.

--
Vasiliy

------------------------------

From: Fred Farleigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.x.video
Subject: Re: Problem of keyboard with frame buffer
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:19:25 -0500

I can confirm this using vanilla RH 6.0, it breaks in Netscape, terminal
works OK I think.

--
Fred Farleigh
Systems and Network Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Remy)
Subject: Help- DAT won't eject
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:31:10 -0400

Howdy all.

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 6100 with a Conner CDT-8000 tape drive running
Ret Hat 6.0, fairly stock install.  I've been backing the system up using
the included BRU software, and everything's been fine until today.

Currently, the tape seems to be stuck. The read-write light is on, but the
tape is not actually doing anything and won't eject when the button is
pressed.  BRU reported a "Close error on archive"- attempting to use BRU
to rewind or erase the tape simply fails without message.  The bru
executive log shows

990715 14:58:35|23340|root|[W130] warning - write error on first block: errno =
5, Input/output error
990715 14:58:45|23340|root|[E207] error - failed UNMOUNTCMD of volume 1 on devic
e "/dev/nst0" (exit code = 1)

Switching to mt to try and abort the whole process, I get

[root@learn /bru]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (10000):
 IM_REP_EN

[root@learn /bru]# mt -f /dev/nst0 offline
/dev/nst0: Input/output error

mt will give the same error for rewind, unlock, etc.

My limited knowledge of unix tapes being exhausted, do any more guru-like
folks have ideas of how to fix this?

--
Eric Remy.  Chemistry Learning Center Director, Virginia Tech

"But simply by putting my hair into a ponytail I transform into the
coolest guy in the office"- Wally, _Dilbert_

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PIII Xeon 500MHz
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:09:52 -0700

anybody heard of any problems with a dual Xeon machine?

as far as I know Linux supports the Xeon chip?!?!

thank you,

AG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bin Zhao)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help: RedHat6.0 doesn't recognize internal trackpoint
Date: 15 Jul 1999 19:26:35 GMT

Hi,

I have RedHat6.0 on IBM thinkpad i1451(co-exists with win98.) Evenything
was fine until I plugged a Kensington external trackball to the mouse
port. Now when I boot to Linux, it only recognize the external trackball.
It ignores the internal trackpoint even the external trackball is not
plugged in. But Win98 work fine with both. Is this some sort of broken PnP
feature of RedHat? How do I let Linux know to use the internal trackpoint.
Remember, it was working before and it still works for Win98(meaning Win98
will use the external trackball when it's there and use the internal one
when the external is not plugged in.) Is this a Linux device thing or just
XF86 thing? I notice /dev/mouse is a symlink to ps2aux but I am not sure
what it looked like when the internal trackpoint was working though.

From: Declan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ethernet suggestions
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:50:56 GMT

please excuse the cross-post, but my inquiry is two-fold.

Currently i have two machines, one is running RH-Linux and the other
is my gaming machine (W98). I had an idea for setting up a local
network as follows:

two machines connected via ethernet.

THe Linux machine is to handle all incomming/outgoing network traffic
(via cable/modem/ADSL..). So, I would like all security stuff to be
handled by the linux machine. Any internet access required by the w98
machine would get it through the Linux box.

So my question(s):

1) is this a worthwhile effort?
2) since the linux machine is a small 486..i might be wise to choose
another veriosn of Linux (also a version that is good with
network/security issues)? is this the case?
   (Eventually, i will have another machine p90, with a fuller Linux
installation for playing around with -- whici will also be part of the
network and it too will communicate throught the 486)
3) is there a particular choice for ehternet cards that i should be
looking at?
4) what have i missed?

any help would be great.

thanks!

-declan

------------------------------

From: Jerry Craker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Adaptec Adapter/Redhat 6.0 problems
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:48:10 -0400

I have a problem with my Adaptec 2940UW PCI controller.  I currently
have Windows NT 4.0 and Linux 5.2 dual-booting from my system.  My
system is a 200 PRO with 5-4.5 GB Wide SCSI drives, 1 CDROM, 1 CDR, 100
MB Ethernet, and USR ISDN.  Everything works under NT (not my preferred
system, but I use it because everything works).  Linux 5.2 works but
does not recognize the Ethernet adapter or ISDN adapter.  I know that
6.0 supports both adapters in the machine, so I need to upgrade.
However, whenever I try to boot (either from the CD or diskette) it
simply keeps rescanning the SCSI bus without ever finding the adapter.
I had absolutely no problems installing 5.2.  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SONY SDT-7000 SCSI Tape problems
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:22:08 -0400

I've tried everything with this drive to make it work under linux with
tar and mt.  Linux is quite aware of the tape.  The module for the SCSI
card is loaded (I've tried a variety of cards aha2940, 152x, and fdomain
16something), mt -f /dev/st0 status shows that the tape is there.
however a tar -cvf /dev/st0 /usr will go for a few moments and then
stop.  The machine hangs!  I get no scsi errors on the console or in the
logs.  I have experimented with a variety of cables and termination
schemes.  With and without other devices on the chain, and finally I
have two different SDT-7000 drives which both exhibit the same
properties.  Finally, both drives worked fine under BSDI.

Help, please.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ethernet suggestions
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:15:13 GMT

You can definitely use your existing 486 Linux system as a gateway
(router) to the internet. Install the IP-Masquerading support,
and away you go. A 486 should be more than capable of keeping
your network connected to the internet.

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:50:56 GMT, Declan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>please excuse the cross-post, but my inquiry is two-fold.
>

>Currently i have two machines, one is running RH-Linux and the other
>is my gaming machine (W98). I had an idea for setting up a local
>network as follows:
>
>two machines connected via ethernet.
>
>THe Linux machine is to handle all incomming/outgoing network traffic
>(via cable/modem/ADSL..). So, I would like all security stuff to be
>handled by the linux machine. Any internet access required by the w98
>machine would get it through the Linux box.
>
>So my question(s):
>
>1) is this a worthwhile effort?
>2) since the linux machine is a small 486..i might be wise to choose
>another veriosn of Linux (also a version that is good with
>network/security issues)? is this the case?
>   (Eventually, i will have another machine p90, with a fuller Linux
>installation for playing around with -- whici will also be part of the
>network and it too will communicate throught the 486)
>3) is there a particular choice for ehternet cards that i should be
>looking at?
>4) what have i missed?
>

>any help would be great.
>
>thanks!
>
>-declan

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: "Petr Hlavka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: okipage 4w window printer support
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:42:35 +0200

look at http://gatekeeper.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

  Petr Hlavka

From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Some Sun Sparc questions
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:43:57 -0500

I'm going to be picking up an old Sun Sparc 10 workstation tomorrow and
try my hand at Linux with it.  One minor problem I have is that the
workstation does not have a monitor.  In the short term, I can borrow
one from a friend but I really do need my own.  I looked up the stats on
the video adapter and found that it runs at a resolution of 1152x900 @
66Hz or 76Hz.  On the monitors I have for my Pentiums, I don't see that
resolution listed, so I'm hesitant to try them out with the Sun. (it's
coming with the 13w3 to VGA 15 pin adapter so I can plug a VGA monitor
into it.)

I looked up monitors on Sun's web page and their compatible 17" monitor
is running $480.  Are there alternative sources for Sun monitors out
there that would offer me substantial savings over that price?  My
searches don't come up with much.  I would consider refurbished monitors
since I will be running the station "remotely" through X-Windows most of
the time.  I am also open to the idea of using a compatible monitor,
provided I can get a decent one for less than a Sun branded model
(probably not too hard to do).  Does anyone out there have experience
using non-Sun monitors with Sun workstations and could you share that
experience?

I'm also looking to upgrade the system if at all possible.  The system
is a Sparc 10 with room for up to 4 processors.  Currently it only has
one 50MHz SuperSparc, which will be fine for now.  However, I would
eventually like to have 4 processors for the system.  However, I didn't
see any SuperSparc processor modules for sale at Sun's website.  Are
there any dealers which specialize in selling new (or refurbished)
processor modules?  If so, can you direct me to their website(s)?  I
also remembering reading somewhere that aftermarket processor upgrades
are available, giving more power to the Sparc architecture after Sun
moved to UltraSparc.  Is that true and if so, where would I find those
processor modules?

Thanks for your time,
Roy Grimm