From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: newbie question: winmodem install information on the web?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:21:17 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001 22:25:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> took up his/her discourse and spake:

http://www.linmodems.org

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: "JT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Linux X goes away???
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:29:00 GMT

Running RH7.0. I never can be assured if Linux is going to come up in X.
Sometimes it does and somethings its just a blank black screen. When it
doesn't I have to re-install the who OS over again. Running Matrox Millenium
G200 8mgs ram.

What confuses me, why would it work sometimes and sometimes not?

Confused and looking for answers.

Thanks for your help.
JT

------------------------------

From: "Vladimir Florinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Disk errors with kernel 2.4.2
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 18:15:52 -0700

I installed RedHat 7.1 on a new IBM IDE disk a few days ago and am having
nasty disk errors ever since. They happen every few hours and mess up
filesystems a lot. So far I was able to recover by forcing e2fsck on the
/usr partition in single user mode, and reinstalling the damaged packages.
But it's only a matter of time until glibc gets damaged and then it's all
over.

Now this is definitely not the state of events I would like them to be. My
old RedHat 6.1 worked fine on this machine on an old Seagate hard drive.
It seems therefore that either the 2.4.2 kernel is broken or the new disk
is defective. The log file would occasionally have this message:

hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hda: drive not ready for command

The disk is a brand new 40GB IBM 60GXP series (ATA-100), using dma
transfers (up to 33MB/s, I presume, since this is a BX chipset)

/dev/hda:

 Model=IC35L040AVER07-0, FwRev=ER4OA41A, SerialNo=SX0SXLL6552 Config={
 HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs } RawCHS=16383/16/63,
 TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40 BuffType=DualPortCache,
 BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16 CurCHS=4047/16/255,
 CurSects=-217054981, LBA=yes, LBAsects=80418240 IORDY=on/off,
 tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1
 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5

hdb is a 24x cdrom, hdc an ORB drive and hdd is a 20x dvd-rom drive.

So, I would really appreciate some help from those who are familiar with
IDE drivers or had similar experiences. My system is not usable at this
point and I need to know whether to replace the disk or the OS.

Thanks in advance,
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: "Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blank Screen (Rage 128 Pro)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:18:04 GMT

Unplug the video out and reboot.

----
news:eafL6.45505$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help choosing modem
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:35:36 GMT

I have a nice winmodem, and I've been told they can work with linux,
but I've been getting a weird feeling from pages I've read that they
don't work very well and/or they're just a bitch to install and use.

Question #1) Should I keep my winmodem and use it and save alot of
bread, or should I go for a new modem?

Questions #2) Is the following modem a good choice for linux?  If not,
can I get some recomendations?

        US Robotics 56K V.90 PCI DATA/FAX INTERNAL MODEM

Any other wisdom you can share on the matter mill be greatly
appreciated,

http://www.geocities.com/sugapablo
(To email me, remove "Sugapablo-" from my email address)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Disk errors with kernel 2.4.2
Date: 14 May 2001 21:41:39 -0400

On Mon, 14 May 2001 18:15:52 -0700, Vladimir Florinski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So, I would really appreciate some help from those who are familiar with
>IDE drivers or had similar experiences. My system is not usable at this
>point and I need to know whether to replace the disk or the OS.

First, I have 7.1 on an IBM harddrive, and after 2 weeks, I ran e2fsck
-c on it, just to make sure. This is the kind of thing I worried about
most with 2.4.x. Zero errors though. But this is not a particularly
heavy used machine. I have it on another system that gets hit much
harder, with a Maxtor drive (both DMA BTW), and ran e2fsck on it the
other day. There were a few what looked to be very minor problems.

Do you have a boot disk with a 2.2 kernel? Or make one. Boot with that,
maybe single user mode, run e2fsk to make sure the disk is good, then
run something a loop where you copy/delete some directories. Like /usr.
Do this for a while, then run e2fsk again, and if there are errors, it's
the disk. I've been there and this is how I proved it to myself. It was
a new drive, and I didn't want to believe it ;)

--
Hal B
 Spamtrap: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:30:41 -0500

Vladimir Florinski wrote:

> I installed RedHat 7.1 on a new IBM IDE disk a few days ago and am having
> nasty disk errors ever since. They happen every few hours and mess up
> filesystems a lot. So far I was able to recover by forcing e2fsck on the
> /usr partition in single user mode, and reinstalling the damaged packages.
> But it's only a matter of time until glibc gets damaged and then it's all
> over.
>
> Now this is definitely not the state of events I would like them to be. My
> old RedHat 6.1 worked fine on this machine on an old Seagate hard drive.
> It seems therefore that either the 2.4.2 kernel is broken or the new disk
> is defective. The log file would occasionally have this message:
>
> hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hda: drive not ready for command
>
> The disk is a brand new 40GB IBM 60GXP series (ATA-100), using dma
> transfers (up to 33MB/s, I presume, since this is a BX chipset)
>
> /dev/hda:
>
>  Model=IC35L040AVER07-0, FwRev=ER4OA41A, SerialNo=SX0SXLL6552 Config={
>  HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs } RawCHS=16383/16/63,
>  TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40 BuffType=DualPortCache,
>  BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16 CurCHS=4047/16/255,
>  CurSects=-217054981, LBA=yes, LBAsects=80418240 IORDY=on/off,
>  tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1
>  pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
>
> hdb is a 24x cdrom, hdc an ORB drive and hdd is a 20x dvd-rom drive.
>
> So, I would really appreciate some help from those who are familiar with
> IDE drivers or had similar experiences. My system is not usable at this
> point and I need to know whether to replace the disk or the OS.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
>

> Vladimir

It may be that your Intel system reacts to the drivers in the 2.4.X kernels
like my VIA MVP4 chipset.  Lots of cksum errors?

Get linux-2.2.19 from ftp.kernel.org, build it and make it your default
kernel and I expect your problems will disappear.

------------------------------

From: "Felix Tilley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running Linux with a Micron Millenium with BIOS S4EB2X0.05A.0003.P02
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:33:37 -0700

Do I have to worry about my BIOS supporting disks 40-80GB. I have a Micron
Millenium 450 MHZ with a 10 GB IDE disk that I bought more than 2 years
ago. The BIOS is Phoenix version 4S4EB2X0.05A.0003.P02

External scsi disks seem very expensive compared to internal drives. I
have started to think about internal drives and even, gasp, attempting to
upgrade my system myself.

Basically, does this BIOS support large modern disks?

Felix Tilley

------------------------------

From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to setup usb quickcam
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:15:54 GMT

I also have had similiar problems trying to run gqcam-0.9 on Redhat 7.1,
which apparently uses /dev/video as a directory.  Has anyone had any
luck with gqcam and Redhat 7.1?

------------------------------

From: Jon Fullmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony SDT5000 drivers needed
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:25:34 -0600

I recently acquired a Sony SDT5000 DDS tape drive (the SCSI version), but I
just assumed there would be drivers for it.  I've seen some mention of
people using the SDT5000 on Linux systems, so I would have to assume that
there are, in fact, Linux drivers for it.  Sony says no.

Does ANYONE have ANY Linux drivers for this drive?  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks!

 -- Jon Fullmer

------------------------------

From: Ya!Right! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux X goes away???
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:43:54 -0700

Why do you have to re-install?
IF you want to re-install anytime something happens you should stick to
MickeySoft Winblows!

What does your '/var/log/XFree86.0.log' say?
This should be the first place to look when an error occurs!

Let me know!

Cheers,

------------------------------

From: Joseph Meier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No IRQ found ?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:37:00 GMT

        I'm having the same problem with an SCM Micro TI1221 based cardreader, =

except mine doesn't crash.  I get almost the same boot warnings.
        Not much help......

Joseph Meier

On 5/14/01, 7:54:48 AM, Vinay Iyengar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding No IRQ found ?:

------------------------------

From: Johnson's <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Smartstation SCSI contoller (LTE ELITE)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:51:35 -0500

freedman wrote:

Thanks Freedman! I got it working.

I used your advice along with The Offical RH Install guide to clue me in
in the exact format. I found my parameters in the BIOS setup.

The final looked like this:
aha-152x=0x340,10,7

The 7 at the end is my host ScsiID.

------------------------------

From: Ya!Right! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot without VGA
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:08:38 -0700

I don't know of any MotherBoards that will start without a video board
installed.

Then again I may be wrong.

Cheers,

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 May 2001 00:08:30 -0400

"Felix Tilley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Do I have to worry about my BIOS supporting disks 40-80GB. I have a Micron
> Millenium 450 MHZ with a 10 GB IDE disk that I bought more than 2 years
> ago. The BIOS is Phoenix version 4S4EB2X0.05A.0003.P02
>
> External scsi disks seem very expensive compared to internal drives. I
> have started to think about internal drives and even, gasp, attempting to
> upgrade my system myself.

SCSI disks have always been more expensive than IDE/ATA/UDMA disks, since the
market segment they serve is speed/reliability at any cost, while IDE disks are
seen as cost being most important, speed less so.  Note, you can have SCSI
disks mounted internally within your case, just like IDE disks, though of
course you use a different cable.  You can also have IDE disks mounted
externally (such as in a USB transport if you don't mind losing some
performance due to USB bandwidth).  Your motherboard probably has 2 internal
IDE connectors, which means you can have up to 3 disks + an IDE cdrom (or 4
disks if you don't use the cd/zip disk/etc.), so one option is to not mess with
your system disk, and just add another disk for more storage space (though
note, newer disks of the same general classification tend to be faster than
older disks, so you might want to go through the hassle of moving the stuff to
the newer disk).

> Basically, does this BIOS support large modern disks?

Even if the BIOS doesn't support large disks, for Linux all you need to do is
create either a / partition or just a /boot partition that does live completely
within the first 1,024 cylinders.  Once the system is booted, Linux doesn't use
the BIOS drivers.  If you have a separate /boot partition, it doesn't have to
be big (I use 30 megabytes, and I store a couple of kernels).

One thing that you may want to think about is installing the 2nd disk in your
system, and using LILO to select whether to boot the old system or the new,
each of which are on a different disk.  That way you won't find yourself hosed
if you forgot a file.  I tend to always have 2 root partitions, so that I can
fine tune and/or experiment with new releases.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "Snowdog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RAM question
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:16:50 -0700

John,
The old RAM may not work with your system.  As with SIMMS, DIMMS are
changing almost as quickly as they did.  If the old ram does work, the
system will run at the slower speed of the old ram.  But with a proc at
900MHz and 256 megs you shouldn't see much difference.  Load it up, run a
benchmark, take out the old ram and see for yourself.

Snowdog

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the softrat)
Subject: Anyone selling basic cheap Linux boxes?
Date: 15 May 2001 04:44:17 GMT

Please drop me a line if you are.

--
the softrat
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Stephe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help choosing modem
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:17:57 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a nice winmodem, and I've been told they can work with linux,
> but I've been getting a weird feeling from pages I've read that they
> don't work very well and/or they're just a bitch to install and use.
>
> Question #1) Should I keep my winmodem and use it and save alot of
> bread, or should I go for a new modem?
>
> Questions #2) Is the following modem a good choice for linux?  If not,
> can I get some recomendations?

I bought an ISA USR courier V.everything that had the v.90 flash done for
$20 on e-bay and it connects faster than any other modem on my crappy phone
lines at home. Also works easy with linux. The one you described would
probably work as well, just not real cheap.

Stephe