Linux-Hardware Digest #803, Volume #9            Mon, 22 Mar 99 05:13:43 EST

Contents:
  Re: TV program for BT848 (miro PCTV) (Human)
  Re: Redhat and modem please read (Mircea)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Leslie
Mikesell)
  Re: RedHat for Big Harddirve?? ("Charles Sullivan")
  Re: Redhat and modem please read ("Jeff Shultz")
  ati 128 ? (Adrien LAURENT)
  Re: Linux on IBM Thinkpad 560? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Hard drive partitions for Redhat 5.2?? (Geoff Allsup)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Jim
Richardson)
  Re: Mindpath Wireless Keyboard? (Andrew Mossberg)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Peter
Kwangjun Suk)
  Low level NEtworking (Alfred REYNOLDS 3031616)
  DVD movies? (Ryan McGeary)
  Re: 2.2.3, ess 1888, & insanity (Herbert Ho)
  Unix network drivers ("Robert")
  Scanner gets BGR instead of RGB (James Tappin)
  Newbie: Compaq SystemPro questions (John Abbe)
  Re: What hardware is required ????????? (John Abbe)
  Re: linux using soundblaster live (Joel Ebel)

From: Human <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV program for BT848 (miro PCTV)
Date: 22 Mar 1999 00:34:53 GMT

Look for XawTV.

Papa Aquilino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:       There is any program to see TV with a miro PCTV (BT848).
: I've installed it whith kernel 2.2.0.

: Please,
:       replay to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat and modem please read
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:15:30 -0500

It's a winmodem. The fact that it works in _Windows_ NT doesn't mean a
thing.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: 21 Mar 1999 20:33:32 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Wilson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>To my mind the last major attempt to make a new operating system from
>first principles was the OS for the IBM System/38 (later AS/400). To a
>large extent they succeeded. The cost was enormous - reportedly $500M.
>However, they recouped their investment many times.
>With 20 years more experience I find it sad that people are still raving
>about old Unix or Linux (or more rarely Windows) or Dec or whoever.
>
>Are peoples expectations so low? Have we learned nothing?
>Can't we do better?

Many of us learned over that time interval that it is a very
bad idea to rely on anything that ties you to a single vendor
and their whims and survival issues.  What is there besides
unix that is available from a variety of sources and is not
hopelessly married to a small set of hardware?  Why do you
want to be forced into helping some vendor recoup a huge
investment just to keep your programs running?

  Les Mikesell

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat for Big Harddirve??
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:12:08 -0500

Go into the 'expert' menu of fdisk and set the number of cylinders to
1111 (assuming that's the correct LBA value), then return to the
main menu to create your partitions.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Shultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:23:15 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:15:30 -0500, Mircea wrote:

:>It's a winmodem. The fact that it works in _Windows_ NT doesn't mean a
:>thing.

It's apparently a different model from the one I was thinking of...
not surprising, Diamond modems are all "SupraExpress
somethingoranother" or so it seems.

Jeff Shultz
http://www.netcom.com/~jbshultz
Here an OS, there an OS... I need more computers.

------------------------------

From: Adrien LAURENT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ati 128 ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:45:05 +0100

Does somebody arrived to use an ATI xpert 128 on Xwindows ??
thanks

--
e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
Subject: Re: Linux on IBM Thinkpad 560?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 02:19:41 GMT

Sorry about this message being posted four times now. I posted it ONCE on
03/16/99, but the MediaOne news server seems to have burped it up three more
times on 03/19/99. Augh!

Anyone have suggestions on using a seperate provider for news?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Allsup)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hard drive partitions for Redhat 5.2??
Date: 22 Mar 1999 03:27:49 GMT

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:27:05 +1100, Aaron Saikovski
     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>127Mb - partition
>Rest of the drive as one big linux partition??
>
>Will redhat 5.2 install into a single partition?

yes

Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 22 Mar 1999 03:48:04 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:23:56 +0100,
 Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Aside from the quality problem (which Free Software admirably solves)
>> there is the vendor lock-in problem (proprietary file formats).  Closed,
>> proprietary file formats are the biggest evil in the computer industry
>> today and the biggest threat to being able to share freely (or do
>> commerce in) information that *you* own.  This is the single greatest
>> contributor to the monopoly problem in the computer industry today.  I
>> think if we could abolish this one thing, everything would eventually
>> start to even out.
>
>Although this is a real problem, the opposite radicalism propagated by free
>software advocates means technical mediocrity.  Great, let's have a single
>file format for spreadsheets, a single format for text documents, and an
>immutable format for web content, and let's see PC software reduced to the
>least common denominator standards, and innovation reduced to a crawl.  File
>formats are similar to data structures and algorithms; it's not realistic
>asking new programs with new ideas to not invent new stuff.  File format
>locking will always produce inferior efficiency and loss of any attribute
>not supported by the format (look at RTF).

who said anything about 1 format? the poster was talking about the problems
of *proprietary* formats. Vs open (in the sense of open specs.)
There is more than one format for text, tex, ascii, rtf, postscript,
pdf, and of course, xml and sgml.
 You've built a strawman, and are busy tearing him apart.

>In my opinion, file formats should be fully documented and their use by
>anyone should be permitted free of charge, and that's all we need.  If a new
>vendor pops in the market and has to decide btw adopting the competition's
>formats or writing complex filters, well this is a competitive world, you
>can follow or you can fight, but you can't ask the planet to stop spinning
>so you can catch up...

yes, this I agree with.

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

------------------------------

From: Andrew Mossberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mindpath Wireless Keyboard?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:40:19 GMT

In article <7cbju4$n66$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  I wrote:
> I'd like to use a mindpath wireless keyboard under linux. Does anyone have
> experience using this or any other keyboard which connects via IR to a serial
> port?

No positive reponses. I did get a reply from Mindpath with the usual expected
answer: we do not currently support linux.

Andrew Mossberg
Inicom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Kwangjun Suk)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:20:20 GMT

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 06:48:50 -0500, Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Where the PDP-11s high end boxes(big servers) when they were
>> released?
>
>High- end, certainly.  Servers?  Hard to say.  "Client- server
>computing" hadn't been invented yet.  IBM had "frontend - backend"
>computing, but it was pretty much a laboratory curiosity.
>
>Unless you mean "terminal server".  A PDP-11 would handle an amazing
>number of ASCII terminals with (by today's standards) absurdly skimpy
>resources (64KB of RAM was *huge*).  Amazing what you can do if you're
>not feeding a GUI.

I'm guessing this also has a lot to do with hardware.  (The CPU
doesn't have everything to do with I/O capability.)

--PKS

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:08:03 +1100
From: Alfred REYNOLDS 3031616 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Low level NEtworking

I need to talk to 8 machines on a network at once with the MINIMUM of
latency possible.  The communication between the "nodes" does not have
to be reliable, just VERY quick in repsonding ( bandwidth isn't a
problem).
I was going to try writing packets directly onto the network using
SOCK_RAW. The only problem is that I don't really know how to do this.
Does anyone know of a good site I can check out or some code that
implements it own low level protocol??

Thanks,
            Alfred

From: Ryan McGeary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVD movies?
Date: 22 Mar 1999 05:31:59 GMT

what are the chances that I could get my DVD movies running under linux in
the near future?  if the chances are high, how would I do such a thing?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Herbert Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.3, ess 1888, & insanity
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:20:21 GMT

hmm....so no luck huh?  i also have a compaq presario (4764) with similar
problems.  win95 reports the card on irq 5 (w/ irq 7 for parallel/printer)
where it works fine.  linux also spits at me when i try and configure it as a
SB under both 2.0.36 and 2.2.x if i tell it its on irq 5, but works buggy
(but works, at least under 2.0.36) if i tell it irq 7.  again, it dies after
awhile.

i also had no success w/ editing dmabuf.c, it didn't even play anything and
started giving the dma timeout message.

so is there no method of getting sound under linux? (other than a new card)

also, why am i unable to access the floppy (by dd) after these dma timeouts?
another "bug"?

argh... =)

regards,

herbert ho

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unix network drivers
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:03:46 -0800

I have a generic 10/100 PCI network card that did not autodetect when I
installed Mandrake 5.3. I'm not really surprised at this, but the floppy
disk came with unix drivers, however, they are for SCO. Any recommendation
as to whether I should try these with Mandrake? I know this sounds like a
really stupid question, but I am not very familiar with the
differences/similarities between the flavors of Unix/Linux. So far I have
only messed with Mandrake, BSDi, and FreeBSD with the only difference being
that Mandrake was a LOT easier to set up than the other two and had drivers
for my RivaTNT video card.
Any suggestions?

Robert

------------------------------

From: James Tappin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner gets BGR instead of RGB
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:27:49 +0000

Sometimes my scanner (Mustek 12000SP, using SANE-MUSTEK driver via
xscanimage as a gimp plugin) produces images with the red and blue
channels exchanged.

When it flips modes, it stays flipped, even through a system reboot and
power cycle of the scanner. It will then suddenly flip back again with
no apparent reason.

(The SCSI card is a BusLogic Flashpoint card and also has an internal
ZIP drive and CD recroder attached -- but neither of those was used at
the time of the last mode-flip).

DOes anyone have any idea what's going on?
        TIA
                James Tappin

--
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Abbe)
Subject: Newbie: Compaq SystemPro questions
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:39:39 -0800

A Compaq (486/33) SystemPro has fallen into my lap (friend got it from a
company that was -- I kid you not -- going to put a whole pile of
computers etc. in a dumpster). I have some hardware questions, and of
course the most important is: Will I be able to run Linux on this?

Full disclosure: This is a Mac household; my PC ignorance will probably
show through here. Also, I don't have other PCs to work with/borrow parts
from.

Video is on the motherboard, and I see no clear clues re chipset...

Drives:
A) I'm guessing that I need a plain EISA card ATA controller and a CD drive.
B) I s'pose instead I could load the minimal bits of Linux through the
floppy (but where would I get such floppies?) and download the rest; but
is this ridiculous at 57.6k?
C) Third alternative, could I download enough to get the Linux box
filesharing with my Macs then transfer the rest of the CD stuff from a Mac
drive?
D) Hey, the ATA CD-ROM drive from our Mac G3 should work, yes?

The ATA controller might make sense anyway just to hook up a hard drive if
the drive system in it doesn't work out:

It has 6 of 8 drive slots full, and an "Intelligent Drive Array" card in
an EISA slot. I'm guessing that's Compaq's name for an IDE/ATA RAID card?
The card's 4 ribbon cables each have two connectors (master and slave,
right?). Drive slots 1 & 2 were empty, so I moved 7 & 8 over. Now the
first two ribbon cables plug into four drives, and the other two ribbon
are unplugged.

This allowed me to get past a bootup error message complaining about drive
slots 1 & 2 being empty, but I'm still getting this message when the
configuration software starts up:

   Warning
   The System ROM on this machine does not support a system partition.

I have no idea what to make of this, which is what finally drove me to
post here...

Software:
All we got with it (all Compaq SystemPro-labeled) was a couple disks with
..cfg files, and a configuration disk that won't let me at the DOS prompt.
Together, they apparently enabled me to reconfigure the "IDA" card so that
it only looked at the first four drives. I write "apparently" because I
have no regular boot disk to let me check if the drives are actually
accessible (I'll have to get one from a PC friend :-).

Networking:
I have a Mac serving net access to an Ethernet. I should be able to just
plug in an EISA Ethernet card, configure TCP/IP in Linux and go, right?
(That's all I have to do for the other Macs on the Ethernet.)

Unusual Memory:
It has four SIMMs (maybe the wrong memory acronym?) that make up 32MB on
one big card. Anyone know if that's the max, or can I upgrade these? They
seem to be attached in an odd (to me) fashion, on one of the flat sides
rather than an edge. There's also a second big slot (empty) that from the
configuration software seems intended to take another big card and more
memory on that. Are these hard to find/configure? 64MB would be much nicer
than 32MB.

More on drives:
Can I use any IDE drives, or are those special, tailored to the "IDA" card
in some way? I'm wondering because I found no reference to them (Conner
CP3201G) on the Seagate/Conner site. The configuration software had them
as 210MB drives.

I'm assuming the IDA card will not run a CD.

So am I dreaming, or should this make a decent server?

Thanks for all your help! Peace,
__John
p.s. If this doesn't work, can anyone recommend good vendors of
Windows-less boxes?
--
Social reactions to perceptions of Y2K may be the biggest problem.
Co-stupidity can be as powerful as www.co-intelligence.org|johnca@

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Abbe)
Subject: Re: What hardware is required ?????????
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:56:51 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am considering using a linux box as a internet server for my lan ie
>multiple computers accessing the net thru one modem. My Question is ; "
>What are the minimum and  sensibly adequate hardware and software
>requirements needed to  accomplish this?".
>
>I am using Win 95 on most of the machines and win 3.11 on some others ,
>tho net access is not vital for the 3.11 machines. The lan runs thru a
>16 port hub.

I'm a newbie, but AFAIK the software on the clients is irrelevant, and
anything that will run Linux, a modem and an Ethernet card should be able
to do this. I.e., any x86/68030+ with a decent communication port and
Ethernet. All the software necessary is in Linux (the Macs without one may
require an FPU?).

Peace,
__John
p.s. I'm routing with a 68040 running MacOS, so Linux should be able to do
it with a Commodore PET, two cans and a string :-)

From: Joel Ebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux using soundblaster live
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 01:51:36 -0500

> ok boys (and girls!), SORRY, i am wrong about my text above... i looked this
> afternoon that my sblive gives me music(only) from my cdreader with suse6
> linux, but with absolutely nothing installed for sound in kernel?... so i
> just have to boot dos(m$oftdos),and use loadlin, and the cdreader works. from
> where comes that capability? any other idea for hacking sblive giving more
> (games) sounds?  thanks  chris  geneva

The reason that works is that it is entirely apart from the operating
system.  No processor is needed to play an audio CD.  That isnt' true of
anything else on the card.  Once the card is initialized, it is ready to
work, but drivers are needed for it to do anything but playa cd.  I
actually have a CD-ROM in my system plugged into my live, but not
conencted to the IDE bus.  I can start a cd playing from a button on the
front of my drive, and it plays through the soundcard, so long as the
card has been initialized.  Ever been playing a cd, and had the computer
lock up?  The cd will continue to play until you turn the power off or
reset the caomputer, thus resetting the card.  That's the same thing
it's doing when you run loadlin.

I can't wait for linux drivers for the live myself.  But until then, I
bought a cheap SB 16 ($20 on buycomp, but apparently it doubled the week
after I got it.)  If I have an SV 16 and a live installed, the computer
works just fine.  In linux it sees the SB 16, and in windows, the SB
Live SB 16 emulation is disabled.  It works rather well.  The
disappointing thing about the SB 16 wave effects card that's out now is
that it's not a real SB 16.  It's only 8 bit.  So you get 8 bit sound
under linux.  But under windows, the SB 16 WFX uses software to palyback
and record in 16 bit.  Kinda strange.  I only learned this after I
bought it, but it was only $20, and at least I can hear stuff in linux.
All you live users that want to use the live under windows and still
habve sound for linux may want to consider a similar option.  But just
be careful what you use.  somthing other than a real SB 16 or awe32/64
may potentially cause conflicts with the SB Live.  A PCI card may not,
but you have to make sure you have lost of free IRQ's because it will
want it's own.

Good luck everyone,
Joel Ebel