Linux-Hardware Digest #803, Volume #13           Sun, 29 Oct 00 02:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (John Hasler)
  RH 7.0 no sound on HP Kayak!!! (fk)
  Re: Root out of space ("Gerald R. Jensen")
  Re: Linux-compatible hardware (Mark Post)
  Adding new drive to the existing system (NTK)
  Actually, it might (might) not be computer-related ("frankie")
  Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU? ("bluster")
  Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU? ("bluster")
  Re: Installation impossible HELP.... ("Sebastien")
  Re: Actually, it might (might) not be computer-related ("Paul Kuliniewicz")
  Re: Root out of space ("bluster")
  SuparMax pci modem ("H@CkM@N!!")
  cd writer problames (Johnbus)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux. (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: RedHat6.2 (or other) on Asus A7V Athlon system
  Printing to an okidata okipage 4w printer in Linux (Gary)
  Re: Installation impossible HELP.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Controlling several boxes from one place (John)
  Re: Controlling several boxes from one place ("walt")
  Installing an audio driver... weird case ("routerl")
  Re: Printing to an okidata okipage 4w printer in Linux (Larry Cooper)
  a brave new world ("Paul & Cheryl Schofield")

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:36:03 GMT

Peter T. Breuer writes:
> Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere

In emacs, of course.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: fk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: RH 7.0 no sound on HP Kayak!!!
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:10:11 -0400

I just installed successfully RH 7.0 to my PC.
However I cannot get sound happening.

sndconfig does not detect any cards on my
system, and when I manually specify the type
of card it is (ad1816) it asks me to input the proper
IRQ, base address, etc,..... and no matter what I
enter,  it always fails, giving an error message that
the resource is busy (ad1816.o)

How to make this happen?

How do I find the proper IRQ, base address, etc.. for a
card that is built0in to the motherboard (more or less)?

Info appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Gerald R. Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root out of space
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:06:36 -0500

Actually, this system is probably partitioned about right ... the usual
suspects have their own partitions:
/dev/hda13              155545    155545         0 100% /
/dev/hda1               155545      2647    144868   2% /boot
/dev/hda6              1011928     49540    910984   5% /home
/dev/hda8              1059360     30064    975480   3% /idd
/dev/hda9              1011928     75716    884808   8% /opt
/dev/hda12              101089        25     95845   0% /tmp
/dev/hda5              1011928    703728    256796  73% /usr
/dev/hda10              497829       899    471228   0% /usr/local
/dev/hda7              1011928     22168    938356   2% /var

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Linux-compatible hardware
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:26:58 GMT

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:17:18 +1100, Barry Kirsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I desperately want to break from Windows and give Linux a go, but I
>believe there are hardware incompatibilities. Given the huge array of
>hardware past and present, I want to know what works with Linux and what
>won't. After all, when you set up an OS for the first time, you at least
>need your display and modem for a start. Then what about scanners and
>printers? Venturing into Linux seems to be a big leap of faith. Is there
>a definitive list of hardware that will work under Linux??

No, but if you would have posted some specifics about _your_ hardware, we
could have told you if we know if it would work or not.  Generally speaking,
unless the type hardware is _very_ new, it will probably be supported.  But
we can't tell you that unless you give us some more information.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: NTK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adding new drive to the existing system
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:30:05 -0000

How do I add new SCSI hard drive along with SCSI adapter to the existing
system that just has IDE hard drive?
How do I make the existing (RH6) system to recognize the SCSI device once
I boot up the system?

Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

From: "frankie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Actually, it might (might) not be computer-related
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:37:04 -0400

The way you describe this problem is symptomatic (in pro-audio)
of a situation where the inputs to the speakers have reverse polarity
from the output of your soundcard.

Therefore, they short to ground. If you use this card fine with other
devices
(Headphones, speakers, same thing), this certainly means that the card
is working properly  - - unike mine, see post below  :) - -

It would appear (again, would) that a way to solve this problem would be
to play with the pin order of your audio cables into the BA rig. If you have
a way of reversing them, this is something to try. Also, if there are three
pins as in most mini-DIN input cables, you will have to figure out which pin
does what on both the soundcard and the BA, and make sure that they
correspond.

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but there has never been
(to my knowledge) any software-related issues between analog signal OUT
of a card into analog signal IN a set of analog electronics.

FK

Paul Kuliniewicz <@.> wrote in message
news:8tfskk$ao3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The interesting thing is that if I plug a set of headphones into
either
> of
> > > the audio out ports on the soundcard, sound comes out perfectly fine.
> The
> > > same goes if I borrow someone else's (non-subwoofer) set of
speakers --
> > > normal sound playback.  But if I hook up my BA375, nothing happens.
> > >
> > > Does Linux or EMU10K1 have a problem sending data out to a
> > > more-than-two-speaker sound system?  That's the only difference I can
> think
> > > of between speakers that work and speakers that don't work.  Is there
> > > something special I have to do to get my BA735 to work?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to solve this problem.
> >
> > Have you used the "Sound Mixer"?  I don't know if that will help, but
> > since
> > what you describe appears to be impossible, it must be a software
> > problem.
>
> It's definitely not a mixer problem, as I have everything on and maxed
out.
> Besides, if I plug in a different set of speakers, sound plays normally.
If

------------------------------

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I know if Linux sees 2nd CPU?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:56:11 -0400

Craig Newstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Indeed - it sees 2 CPUs, labeled #0 and #12 (?-not just #1?).  But I'm
able
> to confirm that
> both are working.
>
> I found all sorts of stuff to dig into under /proc!  This must be a
virtual
> directory,

Indeed it is simply pointers to the live kernel data tables in RAM.

> listing all the hardware that device drivers are running then, right?

Well, all hardware *currently* in use by some process, for instance
/proc/interrupts will only list IRQ 4 if you actually have a floppy
disk mounted at the time.

Hope this helps
Bluster

------------------------------

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:58:17 -0400

Oops, It's late... That's IRQ 6 (and DMA 3 in) for the floppy drive.

news:DdNK5.16$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Sebastien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installation impossible HELP....
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 04:09:31 GMT

Yes, but there's no way I can get it to run in any resolution at all. I
tried every possibility with every drivers in the list.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Paul Kuliniewicz" <@.>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:00:54 -0500

Interesting, but it seems doubtful.  The speakers work perfectly fine when
I'm booted into either Win98 or Win2K.

It appears I've ruled out the possibilities of it being either a hardware
problem or a software problem.  So what the heck does that leave? <g>

Right now my kludge is to have the speakers hooked up to audio out 1 and a
pair of headphones on audio out 2.  For some reason, the headphones are
silent in Windows but not Linux, and the speakers are the other way around.
Strange stuff, this.  (I almost feel compelled to assert that, no, I am not
making this up.)

------------------------------

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:28:05 -0400

> > "Gerald R. Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > System: RedHat Linux 6.1 / Apache 1.3.14 / MySQL 3.22.32 / PHP 4.0.2
> > >
> > > Tried to create a new user this morning but could not (password file
> > > couldn't be locked).
> > >
> > > I then discovered that the / (root) partition is out of space! Root is
> 150mb
> > > on this system. I checked logs and found nothing, then noticed that
> > > /proc/kcore is 134+mb.

Gerald R. Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:39fb93fb$0$56650$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Actually, this system is probably partitioned about right ... the usual
> suspects have their own partitions:
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda13              155545    155545         0 100% /
> /dev/hda1               155545      2647    144868   2% /boot
> /dev/hda6              1011928     49540    910984   5% /home
> /dev/hda8              1059360     30064    975480   3% /idd
> /dev/hda9              1011928     75716    884808   8% /opt
> /dev/hda12              101089        25     95845   0% /tmp
> /dev/hda5              1011928    703728    256796  73% /usr
> /dev/hda10              497829       899    471228   0% /usr/local
> /dev/hda7              1011928     22168    938356   2% /var

 The /proc filesystem is mounted onto /, it's a seperate filesystem...
at any rate it is virtual (pointers to the live kernel tables in RAM)
e.g.
[root@zephyr]# du -s /proc
0       /proc
[root@zephyr]#

What the heck have you got in the / filesystem that takes 115MB+ ??

Try:

[root@zephyr]# du -s  /*

to find out where all those bits went...

HTH Bluster

------------------------------

From: "H@CkM@N!!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuparMax pci modem
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:06:48 -0700

Hey does anybody know how to get a supar max pci modem to work in redhat
linux 7.

------------------------------

From: Johnbus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cd writer problames
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:11:18 -0700

cant get my hp cd writer plus 7100i working under linux even with the
correct settings in the hernel, is there any mod's that i need to
install other than ide-scsi, the howto's dont give enough info

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:25:56 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by olcnffvat gur
> : abezny vavg naq trggl & ybtva cebprffrf naq fgnegvat lbhe cebprffrf
> : frcnengryl sebz gura bajneqf, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.
>
> Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere
>
> Peter

I thought that might be it, but I tried rot13 and it did not get any better.
Maybe he was running some Internet Explorer to make his post? That is not it
either:  User-Agent: Gnus/5.0807 (Gnus v5.8.7) XEmacs/21.1 (Channel Islands)

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat6.2 (or other) on Asus A7V Athlon system
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:30:03 -0000

Je77 wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Remi Ricard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Try to boot or install from the floppy to desactivated the serial number
> >probing.
>
> Thanks. I already tried this. My current theory is that it is the UDMA100
> which is problematic. I'm waiting for RH7.0 to arrive before I try again.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
>
> Je77
> --
> "They bought and sold it all; it's gone. They've taken it and built
O-

From: Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Printing to an okidata okipage 4w printer in Linux
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:42:28 GMT

Has anyone had any success in printing to an Okidata Okipage printer in
Linux, or any Okidata printer? I've been trying different drivers in
printtool and haven't found anything that works.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 29 Oct 2000 01:18:05 -0500

"Sebastien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[try X in regular VGA mode]

> Yes, but there's no way I can get it to run in any resolution at all. I
> tried every possibility with every drivers in the list.

The thing is that regular VGA mode actually uses a separate server, as
opposed to XF86_SVGA or one of the other accelerated servers.
Probably the installer doesn't give you the option of choosing regular
SVGA.

At this point, I can't offer you much (any) help.  Try to find a
text-based installer (although I suspect you have).  Once you've
gotten that far, you can download and install the latest X, which
probably has at least some remedial support for your video card.
NVIDIA has been very good about driver support for Linux.

The only real advice I can offer at this point is to try a different
distribution, like Debian or RedHat.  Debian doesn't even _have_ a GUI
installer, last I checked.  I'm a Debian slut, but I personally feel
that distro is _way_ better than all the others out there.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Controlling several boxes from one place
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:47:04 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc Bo Berglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Question:
> Is there some freeware software for WinNT (still my main work machine)
> that can emulate an X terminal so I can access the Linux boxes via the
> internal network?
> I have tested an eval version of "KEA! X" and it works good, but it is
> not freeware, instead rather expensive. I'd prefer some
> freeware/shareware solution if it can do the job.

Isn't XFree86 available for NT?

From: "walt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:56:23 -0500

Might look at vnc at www.uk.research.att.com/

Walt

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "routerl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing an audio driver... weird case
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:53:21 GMT

I have an Asus K7V motherboard w/ built in sound.
It comes with a driver for Red Hat 6.2 and I am running Mandrake 7.0 (I know
Mandrake is 99% compatible with Red Hat) and I don't know how to install it.

Is there a way, or should I go out and get a sound card that is recognized
by Linux?

routerl

------------------------------

From: Larry Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:09:17 -0700

Gary wrote:

> Has anyone had any success in printing to an Okidata Okipage printer in
> Linux, or any Okidata printer? I've been trying different drivers in
> printtool and haven't found anything that works.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I have a Okipage 6e and it works fairly well with my Redhat 6.0 box.  If
I recall properly, it is configured as an HP Laserjet 4/5/6 using
Redhat's printtool.  Unfortunately, it doesn't print properly if I try
to use 600dpi - it cuts off half a page.  At 300dpi it works fine.
--
Larry Cooper
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Paul & Cheryl Schofield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a brave new world
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:06:35 GMT

We are currently developing a business plan for a home based business. The
plan involves hosting graphical chat servers on a linux system.

Our question is of bandwidth. Initally, we expect to have approxamately 5 gb
of uploads to the server from customers and as much as 20 gb downloaded from
the internet per month.

Could anyone tell us the cost associated with this amount of bandwidth using
a standard cable modem?