Linux-Hardware Digest #143, Volume #11           Tue, 31 Aug 99 03:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Video4linux support (Patrick Finnegan)
  I need some help with overall stuff (Jon Jaworski)
  serial-port scanner
  module problem with cd writer (Scott E. Post)
  how to drive A3D'S SOUND CAR?? (bill)
  Re: hooray! PS/2 /w Linux at 115200 bps! (Joe Kovacs)
  Re: 128 bits?  I don't think so... (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: USB Sopport? (Mark Hahn)
  Re: Laser printer recommend.. (Mark Hahn)
  Logitech Soundman Wave: Step by step? (David L. Vessell)
  keyboard/mouse sharing (P Dubberke)
  Re: Viper V770 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts! (Adrian Hands)
  Hard Drive Problems ("Patrick Keys")
  Re: U66/UDMA HOWTO not working for me ("Scott Thomason")
  Re: 128 bits?  I don't think so... (Spike!)
  Re: Keyboard on Compaq Locks Up During Boot (2.0.36 Kernel) (Daniel Norton)
  Device /dev/modem is locked. (Michael Starkie)
  DATA DDS-2 (Oberdan Albertoni)
  Please help! DNS setting (dbp)
  Advice on video capture card. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux/apache server ("William B. Cattell")
  Software Raid1 ("Roman Payreder")
  Eurone M598 audio? (Jason Simpson)
  frozen on starting syslogd (AG)
  Re: Linux Installation Says Partition Table Corrupt (Henrik Carlqvist)

From: Patrick Finnegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video4linux support
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:06:32 -0500

I was wondering if there is any support for a Matrox Rainbow Runner
daughter card for Matrox's Mystique.  I have one laying around, and it
never quite worked right with windows so I was wondering if I could get
it to work with Linux.

Thanks a bunch!

------------------------------

From: Jon Jaworski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: I need some help with overall stuff
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:31:03 GMT

Hi, I have to say, (even after spending the extra 100 bucks on Win98) I
want switch to Linux. Now how do I do this? Can I run my games on it? What
do I need to learn? Is Linux really a coding language or what? Will all my
other nifty programs run off it? (Netscape, Outlook, NeoPlant, Corel 8, my
scanner software, and V3 card software, all designed for win95/98)

Thanks for your help and please do respond!

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: serial-port scanner
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:31:02 GMT

I'm looking for information on how to get my scanner work, but all I find
is about SCSI scanners and parallel-port scanners, but I have a serial-port
scanner!

My scanner (flatbed) is a (cheap) Photo Maker 3F. Can anyone help me??

Thanks for reading,

Taco Witte

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Subject: module problem with cd writer
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott E. Post)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:37:39 GMT

I'm trying to get an HP 8110i cd writer working on my RH5.0 box
(2.0.34 kernel).  I'm following the instructions in the CD-Writing-HOWTO
and have made the changes and rebuilt the kernel.  I turned off IDE CDROM
support and built SCSI emulation into the kernel and included SCSI CD-ROM
support as a module.

When I do "depmod -a" I get the following message:

  /lib/modules/2.0.34/scsi/scsi_mod.o: unresolved symbol(s)

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

--
Scott Post   [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.home.net/sepost

------------------------------

From: bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to drive A3D'S SOUND CAR??
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:44:30 +0800

        I     use redhat6.0 and I have a     A3D'S sound car ~~
       Does linux have support this car??Ifredhat6.0  have support,
       how can i driver it????

                                     thanks~~~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Joe Kovacs)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: hooray! PS/2 /w Linux at 115200 bps!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:49:53 GMT

In <7qdj6a$q27$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg
Schwarz) writes:
>For those who are interested: I'm now successfully running a PPP null
>modem connection (in fact a wireless connection, but the hardware
>needn't know about it) with an IBM PS/2 model 70 (20 MHz 386) as the PPP
>server at 115200 bps serial port speed. The PS/2 is running Linux
>2.0.35. A quick test gave me somewhat over 8 kByte/s on a longer ftp
>download, but I suspect the wireless part is the limiting factor.
>Honestly, I hadn't thought it would work, since everyone I had asked
>had suggested that the model 70 wouldn't do mare the 38400 bps.

Very nice.  It's so, I would have said perhaps 38400 too.

The original batch of PS/2s in 1987 had the defective 16550A
UARTs on the planar.  My original Model 80-111 386-20 was of
these, and it would run OK at 38400 bits per second to the
external modem, but the transmissions would fail at 56K.  The
16 bit buffer didn't work, so it operated like a 16450.

Years later I got an updated identical planar, because of
that, and it ran OK at 56K bps, so it had the 16550AF UART,
where the buffering was finally fixed. Transmissions failed at
115K, which is what was expected.

Perhaps that's where the numbers came from.

Maybe you're getting 115K transmissions because you're using a
null modem to another machine and not an external modem?

Joe Kovacs
Guelph Ontario Canada

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: 128 bits?  I don't think so...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:36:23 GMT

On 30 Aug 1999 17:03:13 -0400, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:
>> There's very little value in greater than 64 bit addressing unless you
>> actually plan to address more than 4 billion GB of data.
>
>Not necessarily.
>
>Even if you don't ever come close to using 64-bits of address for
>physical memory, there is value in mapping smaller amounts of RAM to a
>64- or 128-bit virtual address space.
>
>Large sparse matrix algorithms become far easier to implement if you can
>allocate terabytes of virtual memory and only map physical RAM to the
>parts of the matrix that are non-zero.

64 bits is enough to represent address spaces of on the order of 10^20.
To be precise, 18446744073709551616, or roughly half that if it is
made signed.

That is a Rather Large Number.  10^8 terabytes, to within an order
of magnitude.

128 bits squares that, to 340282366920938463463374607431768211456.

Unless we're talking about memory devices about the size of the planet,
128 bits makes for One Sparse Matrix...
--
Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Sopport?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 03:56:54 GMT

> So, what about USB support?  If you try to boot Linux on a USB based
> PC does it work?

yes.  not in the old/heritage 2.2 kernel, of course, since that froze
quite a while ago.  a fair number of people use USB primary peripherals
in 2.3, though.

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laser printer recommend..
Date: 31 Aug 1999 03:58:33 GMT

> I need a cheap laser printer that works well under linux.. i was looking
> at the HP L series (4L, 5L, 6L..)

the Lexmark E310 is quite nice, with builtin postscript.  Lexmark sucks,
in general, though, especially their inkjet products, which they refuse
to document.

------------------------------

From: David L. Vessell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Logitech Soundman Wave: Step by step?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:31:06 GMT

Hello all....

I picked up a second-hand Logitech Soundman Wave.  Supposedly, it is
supported by Linux.  But I have no clue what the present settings are, and
the sound how-to refers to a "microfile" binary that I don't have and can't
seem to get anywhere.  I've heard that these are nice cards, but frankly,
the sound docs that come with the kernel don't do a good job of telling me
exactly what kernel settings I need, and I'm not sure how I can go about
determining the interrupts, addresses, and DMAs on this thing.

I know I'm asking a lot, but if anyone can steer me towards a resource that
does a better job of getting this card working, I'd appreciate it.  Also,
if there are any DOS utilities I might be able to run to determine the
current hardware settings, please let me know.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: P Dubberke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: keyboard/mouse sharing
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:38:20 GMT

I have several NT, NetWare and Linux machines that I want to have share
a keyboard, mouse and monitor. I have a Protec ByteLAN switchbox. I can
share the keyboard and monitor but can't get the mouse to work under
Linux. I have tried both serial and PS/2 mice. The box emulates a mouse
somehow.

Has anyone used this type of switchbox for Linux, or do you know of a
sharing device that supports both Windows and Linux?  I have one
keyboard, one monitor and four mice on my desk!

Thanks,
Parker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Viper V770
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:04:51 GMT

> Can anyone please tell me where to get a server
for this video card that
> works well above 640x480 16 colours?

http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html

Go to the linux drivers section.  They have a TNT2
driver that works just fine.  This install
instructions are fairly straight forward.  I've
been running my Viper 770 ultra for awhile with
this.

Barry

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts!
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:23:18 -0400

Your hd is dying.

I'd guess the cliking sound you hear is probably coming from the head
servo mechanism.

Replace it before it quits completely.

It might keep running for quite some time, so it's a gamble.

Looks like you're using an IDE.
You can pick up a brand new 13 Gig at Office Depot for $ 250 or less or
an 8 Gig for like $ 170.
I'm using a 13 Gig Maxtor that I bought there - works great.
No doubt you can buy for much less mail-order or online.

Buy one now, while you still have time to copy the data over.  If you're
a real penny pincher maybe you can use your dying drive for /tmp.

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Keys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Drive Problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:40:35 +0100

Hello

I am having major problems with a 1Gb Seagate drive, which seems to have
died. The drive contains home directories and is based on the Ext2
filesystem. Basically, the system had been working fine until I attempted to
log in one morning. The system accepted my username and password but then
appeared to hang. Logging in as root (home directory on another drive)
proved that any accesses to the suspect drive caused the system to hang for
a few minutes, and then give up with an I/O Error message.

Looking at the output from dmesg, the following was displayed:

ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01, sector 2
hdc: drive not ready for command

I attempted to read information back from the drive using dumpe2fs, and got
the following error:

dumpe2fs 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
dumpe2fs: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
trying to open /dev/hdc1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

I've attempted to unmount it, but the system just reports it as busy. I
can't reboot the system at the moment (I'm 100 miles away and the system has
a keyboard error, requiring you to press F1 to continue...!)

Does this seem like a broken drive, or just corruption of the filesystem
superblock. If it is the superblock, is there any way to reconstruct it? If
it's the drive, is there any way to attempt to recover data from it? Any
ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Patrick

------------------------------

From: "Scott Thomason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: U66/UDMA HOWTO not working for me
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:50:47 -0500

I had the same problem.  I finally gave up and popped the case on the PC.  I
then pulled the IDE cable off the Ultra 66 card and put it directly on the
mainboard.  This worked fine.  I am hoping that I can then patch the kernel
and switch back to the promise card.  I have not yet gotten this far.

Scott

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:17:50 +0100

And verily, didst Christopher B. Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> In order for 64 bits to "not be enough," you pretty much need to have
> the billions of GB of storage online, which rules out video games being
> an example of something requiring >64 bit addressing...

Depends if it's a Microsoft game...
They might JUST be able to fit Space Invaders into that....

:)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++|
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Norton)
Subject: Re: Keyboard on Compaq Locks Up During Boot (2.0.36 Kernel)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:23:11 -0400

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:01:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Norton)
wrote:
>I found a workaround elsewhere: don't use a Compaq keyboard.

Nope.  That doesn't work either.  My Microsoft "Natural" keyboard locks up,
too.

A workaround I do is to specify "vga=ask" on the boot prompt line.  If I do
that, and then answer the prompt on boot, the keyboard doesn't lock up. (?!?!)

This is with a Compaq Deskpro EN Series system.

I'm still hoping for some better workarounds.

Daniel Norton

------------------------------

From: Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Device /dev/modem is locked.
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:22:46 -0400

When I try to start minicom to test my modem configuration I get the
following:

>minicom
minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults
Device /dev/modem is locked.

This happens after a fresh reboot. How do I determine what has locked
/dev/modem?

>ls  -l /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Aug 29 17:51 /dev/modem ->
ttyS1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oberdan Albertoni)
Subject: DATA DDS-2
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:11:25 GMT

Hello,
I want to know if the  HP SureStore T20Xi  or the   MAST DAT DDS-2 Internal 4/8
GB(120M)Mecc. HP   SCSI is ok for Linux ?
Thank you very much from Obe.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:16:19 +0800
From: dbp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help! DNS setting

I have a problem that after setting a DNS of a ISP, if I do not connect
internet, I need to wait one minute in order to telnet from other
computer
to the linux computer. Can I set the time to wait for other DNS
response?

Thank you!

--
Please reply me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Advice on video capture card.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:44:17 GMT

Hello all,

I am looking for a video capture card that can handle full frame full
rate video capture. I've found various lists of supported cards,
software, etc. but the information on some of the cards is a little
hard to find. I'd like to hear from people who've got something like
this running already.

Requirements:
 S-Video or composite video in (NTSC)
 Linux drivers/software available (or at a push, just the device
   interface specs)
 30fps capture rate (sustained)
 640x480 and 320x240
 That's about it

Not Required:
 Tuner
 Video Out
 Audio of any kind
 Bells and whistles

If anyone has got any views on this, I'd be very happy to hear them.

TIA,

Adrian.

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux/apache server
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:03:08 GMT

Brain Fisher wrote:

> I have been appointed to set up a community ISP for a town pop.5,000 and
> would like to know some really basic stuff. Experienced with HW, windows
> ('ugh') and Internet.(earn an existance creating Web Sites in wider area)
> Can someone please guide me on some vey basic stuff such as minimum PC
> specs. any other hardware & software required. Linux technicalities not
> required at this stage. Have a distribution and quite sure 'I will need a
> little help from my friends' (cyberfriends) in the future.
> thanks brianF

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
I've got an Acer Aspire, Pentium120, 96Mb RAM, 2Gb IDE hard
disk running RedHat 6.0 and Apache 1.3.6.  It's running well
and extremely stable.  You can hit the web server and check
responsiveness at;  http://c659784-b.flrmnd1.tx.home.com
It's a desktop PC that's been replaced.  Since I have cable
modem internet access I decided to play around with Linux
and Apache.  It's not blazingly fast but it does its job
quite well (IMO).

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: "Roman Payreder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Software Raid1
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:42:54 +0200

How can I configure a software Raid 1 (mirroring) system after installing
the whole linux box without backing up all data? Is there any way to do
this?

------------------------------

From: Jason Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Eurone M598 audio?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:08:35 +0000

Hello.

Is there any way to get the on-board audio working on a Eurone M598
motherboard?
Has anyone done this yet?
BIOS has it configured at IRQ5, 0xda00

Thanks in advance.

Jason

------------------------------

From: AG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: frozen on starting syslogd
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:14:29 GMT

==============769AB251313537FB4733DE4E

I have just installed a 3COM 905 NIC, and ran netconfig to my cable
modems specifics. After I reboot the system, it freezes up on starting
syslogd. I have tried unplugging the RJ45 cable, but to no avail. I have
no clue on why it would do this, because I see no relation between the
two. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. If you could
email me the response, that would be great.

Thanks,

AG

==============769AB251313537FB4733DE4E

and ran netconfig to my cable modems specifics. After I reboot the system,
it freezes up on starting syslogd. I have tried unplugging the RJ45 cable,
but to no avail. I have no clue on why it would do this, because I see
no relation between the two. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
If you could email me the response, that would be great.</font><br>
<BR>
New,Courier"></font>

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Installation Says Partition Table Corrupt
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:49:45 +0200

Rick Bourassa wrote:

> I am installing Mandrake on an old AST Bravo 2/66 LC.  I have a 10 MB
> partition in DOS.  Linux says the partition table is corrupt, and can
> not install Lilo.

Many old 486 computers didn't support disks with more than 1024
cylinders. Newer computers supports big disks with LBA which remaps the
drive. To use a drive bigger than 500 MB in a 486 it was common to use a
program like EZ-drive or DiskManager which was some kind of DOS TSR
which remapped the drive almost as LBA. If you have such a solution DOS
and Linux will not agree on the disk geometry.

I don't have any solution, but maybe this explains your problem? It
would probably be possible to install Linux and LILO if you removed this
program from the disk, but then you will probably get problems with your
DOS installation.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback: